U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,897,659 times

Advertisements

The Beltline is part of the gradual change to improve it, but unfortunately there are still many many areas in the metro that is still very hostile to biking requiring people to "drive in order to bike" or even get to a safe / inviting place to walk for that matter.

But I do look forward to the day that most Atlantans have multiple safe and inviting transportation options right out their front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,819,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
lol at this idea of driving to a place to ride a bike.
If you don't live on a long trail, and want to bike on a long trail, what else are you going to do? Biking five miles through random streets to get to that trail is probably not very fun for most sane people. And a so-called "trail" that is just a glorified sidewalk still crossing roads every block is not remotely the same thing.

I can just as easily say "LOL at walking 20 minutes to get to a MARTA station so I can wait on a train so I can transfer to a bus so I can walk another 20 minutes to my destination". Or "LOL at riding to a MARTA station so I can wrangle my bike through a train station and on a crowded train and then maybe on a bus too so that I can then ride another two miles to my destination in my spandex outfit, covered in sweat".

Not everyone, and in fact very few, share your "bike or walk at all costs" mentality. If they want to ride on the Beltline and don't live near the Beltline, they're going to drive there. Keep in mind: I live almost the same distance from the distant-future Beltline trail as you do, and I probably would not bike to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
But I do look forward to the day that most Atlantans have multiple safe and inviting transportation options right out their front door.
I mean, I'm all for more walkable and bikeable areas, and more transit, but thinking that most people will have those options right out their front door is a huge stretch. If even five percent did, that would be pretty remarkable.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:25 AM

22,151 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
If you don't live on a long trail, and want to bike on a long trail, what else are you going to do? Biking five miles through random streets to get to that trail is probably not very fun for most sane people. And a so-called "trail" that is just a glorified sidewalk still crossing roads every block is not remotely the same thing.

I can just as easily say "LOL at walking 20 minutes to get to a MARTA station so I can wait on a train so I can transfer to a bus so I can walk another 20 minutes to my destination". Or "LOL at riding to a MARTA station so I can wrangle my bike through a train station and on a crowded train and then maybe on a bus too so that I can then ride another two miles to my destination in my spandex outfit, covered in sweat".

Not everyone, and in fact very few, share your "bike or walk at all costs" mentality. If they want to ride on the Beltline and don't live near the Beltline, they're going to drive there. Keep in mind: I live almost the same distance from the distant-future Beltline trail as you do, and I probably would not bike to it.

I mean, I'm all for more walkable and bikeable areas, and more transit, but thinking that most people will have those options right out their front door is a huge stretch. If even five percent did, that would be pretty remarkable.
Except that starting in 2019, I will a trail connecting me to the EST.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The Beltline is part of the gradual change to improve it, but unfortunately there are still many many areas in the metro that is still very hostile to biking requiring people to "drive in order to bike" or even get to a safe / inviting place to walk for that matter.

I believe it can happen.

And let's not forget that in residential areas a lot of people like to walk in the street.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,897,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I believe it can happen.

And let's not forget that in residential areas a lot of people like to walk in the street.
Yep. We don't need a lot of fancy design and buffered space to make a street friendly to walk or bike on. You don't even need any painted lines. Just keep it narrow / enough on street parking that the traffic is slow moving and bikers and walkers will feel just fine walking down the street. Or heck, kids might even start playing ball games in the middle of the street! Madness!

Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Except that starting in 2019, I will a trail connecting me to the EST.
As I already said, "...a so-called "trail" that is just a glorified sidewalk still crossing roads every block is not remotely the same thing." So, it's awesome that you are getting a multi-use path between Kirkwood and the EST (i mean that), but it's not the same as a totally separate trail that is easier to convince someone to go a couple of miles down if they are looking fora leisurely ride.

If the Connect The Comet project ever gets going (hahaha...insert Debbie Downer horn sound effect), I'll live literally a stone's throw from the path, although I probably won't be living there any more.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:40 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,729,112 times
I mean, when I walked the Westside Trail, I took the train to Ashby, walked the trail, then hopped back on the train at Westend. I don't see why you can't do the same with a bike since MARTA is pretty bike friendly.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I mean, when I walked the Westside Trail, I took the train to Ashby, walked the trail, then hopped back on the train at Westend. I don't see why you can't do the same with a bike since MARTA is pretty bike friendly.
Who knows where he's coming from? Taking a bike on MARTA is not exactly a fun process, and the trip could likely be far longer than simply driving to the destination.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,729,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Who knows where he's coming from? Taking a bike on MARTA is not exactly a fun process, and the trip could likely be far longer than simply driving to the destination.
I mean, it's not that bad. They could park at a park-n-ride and just take the train. Then they have security at the lot.

If they're on a bus line, then they could take the bus to a train station, using the bus' bike rack.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM

926 posts, read 1,861,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Now that you mention it, if he parked at Kroger, he wouldn't even have to cross the street. I believe a ramp to the beltline is on the eastern side of the parking lot.
There is.

But I'm not sure about the booting situation over there. Atlanta is notorious for boots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta