U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:35 PM

177 posts, read 78,803 times

Advertisements

I live in Mableton near the Silver Comet trail. Riding a bike to the Westside trail would be a deathwish. It would involve riding on Mableton Parkway that has no sidewalk; then down Fulton Industrial to Cascade road - no thanks. I think I will park at the Washington Park tennis center. That way I can ride the whole section. Hopefully they will connect the Silver comet trail with the Beltline. There

Silver Comet CSX - Connect the Comet

I'm going to try to go to this meeting in July

Events - Connect the Comet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:08 PM

4,683 posts, read 3,080,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I mean, it's not that bad. They could park at a park-n-ride and just take the train. Then they have security at the lot.

If they're on a bus line, then they could take the bus to a train station, using the bus' bike rack.
Option 1: Drive to trail.

Option 2: Drive to bus station. Load bike off of car and into bus rack after waiting for bus. Ride for a while, then take bike off of bus, and schlep it down to the train platform. Wait for train then wrangle bike into train. At Five Points, take bike off of train, maneuver through train station, up or down to the other platform, then get back on train. Then schlep it backup out of the train station to ride to the trial.

If he's coming from Mabelton, it's like five more minutes to just drive to the train instead of starting at Hamilton E. Holmes... I mean...some people might do the train, but it seems a little odd.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:16 PM

I always throw my bike in the back my SUV and take it to ride at various trails as a lot of people do that you see out at the Silver Comet trail. The Westside trail is only about a 15 minute drive from my house.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,922,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Option 1: Drive to trail.

Option 2: Drive to bus station. Load bike off of car and into bus rack after waiting for bus. Ride for a while, then take bike off of bus, and schlep it down to the train platform. Wait for train then wrangle bike into train. At Five Points, take bike off of train, maneuver through train station, up or down to the other platform, then get back on train. Then schlep it backup out of the train station to ride to the trial.

If he's coming from Mabelton, it's like five more minutes to just drive to the train instead of starting at Hamilton E. Holmes... I mean...some people might do the train, but it seems a little odd.
It seemed as if there was some hesitation for wanting to park near the trail from others for safety and/or availability issues. I was merely providing options for not having to do that.

I was also trying to be general about the advice so that others who might want to do this can see the other options they have available.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Trip report from Westside Beltline. Drove down today to ride my bike. I parked at the Washington Park tennis center. They have a sign that says tennis parking only but a lot of other people were ignoring the sign so parked there. There is some parking along Lena street. I did not see anything that looked like a crime or safety concern around the park, but obviously any area where people are biking you want to leave valuables out of sight. The trail is a nice ride. The first part of the trail has some elevation change; not too challenging. The trail crosses under I-20 then you go through a few small tunnels. After you cross under R. Abernathy drive you have to cross White street and pick up what I guess is spur of the Beltline. I think eventually it will be continuous here. After you cross under Lawton street there is connection where the trail picks up. I missed this and road all the way to Lee Street. I took a right at Lee then I was able to pick up the trail from here. I would guess it goes another mile from this point. It ends around University avenue near a sketchy apartment complex. Overall I road 8 miles so a pretty good ride. There were 2 bar/grill places I saw that looked pretty busy. I am sure the Pittsburgh and Capital View neighborhoods will continue to really improve. It's still nowhere near Old 4th ward. Will be interesting to see how the area transitions.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:40 PM

28,754 posts, read 25,554,384 times
This sounds like the Westside Beltline trail is doing pretty good. Yes, it has had fewer visitors than the Eeatside trail thus far but it's also a heck of a lot newer.

Quote:
The one thing that never came up in conversation was its proximity to the Atlanta Beltline, the 22-mile loop around the city that aspires to revitalize neighborhoods, improve transit and connect communities.

Lamb discovered the Beltline by accident when she was driving home. “I feel like it is literally just for walking or bike riding, and since I am not into either of those things, I don’t really go there,” said Lamb. She’s not the only one.

The Westside Trail stretches 3 miles from Washington Park and Lena Street on the north to Adair Park and University Avenue on the south. It connects several historically black neighborhoods in Southwest Atlanta, including Westview, West End and Adair Park.

It overlaps the West End Trail, the first portion of the Atlanta Beltline constructed between 2008 and 2010. Since the completed 3-mile Westside Trail opened in October, trail counters at Donnelly and White streets have tracked a total of about 128,000 users, according to data obtained from the city of Atlanta.

Compare that to the Eastside Trail, a 3-mile stretch of the Beltline that runs from the top of Piedmont Park to Reynoldstown, which tracked more than 845,000 users at counters on Ponce de Leon Avenue and Wylie Street during a similar time period.

On the Eastside Trail, which touches the gentrified neighborhood of Old Fourth Ward, massive development in the form of expensive high-rise apartments, retail, restaurants and Ponce City Market, the mixed-use property that opened in 2014, made it a metrowide destination and increased the already dense population in the area.

Plans are underway for more development along the Westside Trail that will make it a destination as well, said Beltline officials, but the story of the Eastside Trail has become a cautionary tale.

More....https://www.myajc.com/blog/talk-town...QVSyIieC7gOfI/

Old 05-06-2018, 03:49 PM

The Pekerson park and Capital view area remind me of Grant Park in the early 90's. I'm sure the addition of the trail should move things along.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Another note on parking. I think a good spot to park would be the Monday Night brewery. It's close to the south end.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 AM

22,971 posts, read 16,967,464 times
Quote:
Atlanta Beltline officials are working to acquire a new two-mile segment in the city’s Westside neighborhoods.

CSX Transportation Inc. has filed a federal notice to abandon an approximately two-mile section of inactive rail known as the “Kudzu Line, which connects neighborhoods such as Washington Park, Howell Station and Knight Park.

BeltLine officials want to use the Kudzu Line as a interim hiking trail.

They could complete the purchase of the segment in a matter of weeks.

Brian McGowan, president and CEO of the Atlanta BeltLine Inc. didn’t mention the Kudzu Line explicitly, but said, “There will be another real estate transaction that we are trying to complete by the end of the month.”

McGowan added that he hoped a deal could be completed before he leaves the BeltLine in mid-August for an economic development position in Seattle, Wash.

The acquisition would bring BeltLine officials closer to closing the 22-mile former railroad corridor. It would leave only about four miles to acquire.

It’s been big year for BeltLine acquisitions.

In March, the city of Atlanta and Atlanta BeltLine Inc. announced the purchase of 63 acres along the future Southside Trail for almost $26 million. CSX Transportation was the seller.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...=1531312099&j=

Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 AM

573 posts, read 288,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is huggggggge news, especially for us on the Upper Westside . Does anybody else know anything about this 'Kudzu Line'? Google didn't really help. I'm interested to see where it runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta