U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 PM

9,555 posts, read 8,616,515 times

Advertisements

I see both sides of this issue. Let's, too, keep in mind that Georgia Tech makes a lot of money from non-tapayer sources: endowment gifts and out-licensed technology in the form of royalties. In 2015, endowment income was a whopping $119 million. Georgia Tech | Fact Book Development/Sources of Support . The Georgia Tech Research Corporation brought in a whopping $306 million in 2016. http://gtrc.gatech.edu/financials/GTRC_2016.pdf

So, if you think about it, that $1 million entertainment consists of a lot more than taxpayer paid money. Georgia Tech is a major business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 07:13 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,734,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Because poor, uneducated people see this business and get fired up. And the networks get ratings.
As you well know, It's May Sweeps time so all the watch at 5 & 6 stories will be out over the next few weeks so they will be ambushing someone else in the parking garage too .

Just like the news report on Channel 2 of "compromising bank pos units." The lady saw the previous account holders account number and freaked out. Much ado about nothing.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I just don't think it's correct to imply that Reed's bonuses and GT's moral spending are the same.
I pretty much said that in my statement. I just don't think the percentage argument is a good one. Questioning expenditures with public money is almost always going to involve questioning a fraction of a percent. You can misuse a ton of money and it won't seem like much proportional to a public entity's budget.

With that said, it doesn't look like GTRI did anything terrible with their money. Employment is a market, you need to keep your employees happy. It takes a lot to attract good talent these days, you can't offer bare minimums and expect a whole lot of quality people.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 PM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
I'm concerned about why this particular group of employees was singled out for $1.1 million in special taxpayer-funded treats and morale boosters, while the other 298,000 state employees were left to stew in their own juices.

I guess it's great if you're one of the select few. But what if you're among the rest of the working stiffs? They might be interested in knowing how they can get on the Topgolf-and-cocktails list, too.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I pretty much said that in my statement. I just don't think the percentage argument is a good one. Questioning expenditures with public money is almost always going to involve questioning a fraction of a percent. You can misuse a ton of money and it won't seem like much proportional to a public entity's budget.

With that said, it doesn't look like GTRI did anything terrible with their money. Employment is a market, you need to keep your employees happy. It takes a lot to attract good talent these days, you can't offer bare minimums and expect a whole lot of quality people.
But the percentage arguments do make sense when you establish whether any spending of that kind was ethical in the first place. Then it moves on to an argument of whether or not the money spent was of significant amount to be worried over.

That's the point of the percentage argument, and why bringing in the Reed bonuses is not (necessarily) an apt comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm concerned about why this particular group of employees was singled out for $1.1 million in special taxpayer-funded treats and morale boosters, while the other 298,000 state employees were left to stew in their own juices.

I guess it's great if you're one of the select few. But what if you're among the rest of the working stiffs? They might be interested in knowing how they can get on the Topgolf-and-cocktails list, too.
Because the funding mechanisms and pools for the various state departments and institutions are incredibly complicated, all have their own strings attached, and are governed by many different bodies and rules. You're making the false assumption that the money spent here is somehow fungible. It's entirely possible that the money spent on these events could not be spent for other GTRI purposes, let alone completely separate state matters.

There's a huge amount of variability when it comes to how different departments operate, how they're funded, and what they can / can't spend their money on. For example, as was already pointed out, GT and GTRI have endowment sources that GDOT or GBI don't. Yeah that creates situations where one department has better employee functions and resources than another, but that's not really that crazy, or wrong even. Just a function of the complex system.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 AM

203 posts, read 78,059 times
Quote:

Each group has their own complexities of their budget, and GTRI just so happens to have funding allocated for these types of event. Other government entities also have funding for events like these, this is not unique at all.

$1.1 million over two years for 2000 people is a small $250 per person per year. I really can't see why you need to be concerned about this unless you have some personal vendetta against the school or something.

If you are truly concerned about federal tax dollars being wasted on recreational activities, maybe you should see how much our President costs all of us for his golf outings.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Each group has their own complexities of their budget, and GTRI just so happens to have funding allocated for these types of event. Other government entities also have funding for events like these, this is not unique at all.

$1.1 million over two years for 2000 people is a small $250 per person per year. I really can't see why you need to be concerned about this unless you have some personal vendetta against the school or something.

If you are truly concerned about federal tax dollars being wasted on recreational activities, maybe you should see how much our President costs all of us for his golf outings.
Again, it's not the amount, it's the process.

Because these are public funds I believe there's a duty to ensure that they are managed with the highest degree of integrity and accountability. Handing out a million dollars in special treats and "morale boosters" on the personal discretion of the boss raises questions.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 AM

1,132 posts, read 879,406 times
Quote:
Again, it's not the amount, it's the process.
What outcome here would make you happy?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
What outcome here would make you happy?
The first thing they should do is implement the protocol that Georgia Tech itself recommends:
“With the growing cost of the events, the categories of acceptable use and activities appropriate for use of these funds warrant further review to avoid even the perception of inappropriate use in the future,” the university said.

Going forward, the university said that “all GTRI expenditures will be subject to multi-level review in advance including new reporting and monitoring through Georgia Tech finance and accounting, ethics and compliance offices.” It also said the spending will be regularly audited.

Ideally, they should then seek out private sources of funding for events such as tickets, catering, cocktails, parties, and so forth. Georgia Tech agrees that the employees are adequately compensated, so if the boss wants to go above and beyond, he/she should consider chipping in themselves or finding other sources.

Public funds are a special case. They are just that -- PUBLIC money, not private perks and treats to be doled out at the unfettered, non-transparent discretion of an individual.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:07 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,672,247 times
GA Tech could spend it on morale ($250/person), or they could spend it on bonuses or raises, which cost more. Someone is trying to scapegoat GA Tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or