Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times

Advertisements

Oops - well, based on all the replies, I'm guessing he's still enjoying the plethora of awesome microbrews in the fine city of Portland. I wouldn't say I would blame him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 236,277 times
Default Love Atlanta,GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaJoy View Post
If we could please everyone in the world---we would have world peace.
Atlanta, GA like all Cities have problems---It is left up to you to make the best of your new City. I moved here from Maryland, i love Atlanta, GA. The weather is my favorite..NO SNOW
megajoy, I am with you. I am so glad to read some good comments about GA
I love Atlanta TOO. We came from Southern California

Make It a Great Day

Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM

12 posts, read 35,708 times
Red face moving from Portland?

I would give up on the half-acre. If you must leave lovely, progressive Portland, then parts of the Decatur/Emory area would be great for you. Houses aren't so cheap that that you could get that amount of land there but the schools can be very good if you get the right ones.

If you go so far out that you can get a half-acre for that price, traffic is going to be a real issue, but you might be able to get a house with a reasonably nice garden if you shop around carefully for some time. It is going to be really important to do your homework on this. There are some nice mommy's groups that could probably give you good advice.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,315 times
Default Forget the half acre and live near a park

As a native Portlander, I would suggest Decatur, but with a smaller yard. The bottom line is that unless you are way way out or in Buckhead, a lot of a half acre will be hard to come by. There is the possibility of that in the Toco Hills area near Emory, but the house you would get in your price range will make an old single-wide seem luxurious. Here, buy neighborhood and neighbors. Look in the Oakhurst area of Decatur. If you have kids, Decatur schools may not be as good as advertised. Taxes are quite high, too. less than Portland, but remember here there is a high sales tax. Toco Hills has very good schools and lower taxes, but some areas may have less of a neighborhood feel. If you like people and want to be friends with your neighbors, look carefully. You will like the weather and lack of endless rainy days and slugs, but the traffic will take some getting used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta