U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:27 AM

3,442 posts, read 2,816,679 times

Advertisements

Unrelated (but kinda related to the thread), I’m attending Valdosta State in the fall and I was wondering if I should stay the full four years or transfer to UGA after one or two years. Price shouldn’t be too much of a factor because of HOPE. I originally got rejected from UGA because I was missing a document my councilor was supposed to send.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 07:37 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Unrelated (but kinda related to the thread), I’m attending Valdosta State in the fall and I was wondering if I should stay the full four years or transfer to UGA after one or two years. Price shouldn’t be too much of a factor because of HOPE. I originally got rejected from UGA because I was missing a document my councilor was supposed to send.
If that's what you want to do, do it. Give VSU a shot; you may end up staying in for the long haul. An old boyfriend graduated from there and ended up as a very successful investment banker, so IME it's not exactly a dead-end school.
I'd probably put a contract out on that counselor, though.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM

1,684 posts, read 859,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
GA State runs its school like the damn DMV. They have so many students its uncontrollable. They always make mistakes. Last year, they over booked housing, and they are always playing catch up with academic advisement. They are building the hell out their campus but like most schools, I think they are more concerned with getting more students for financial reasons than educating and making sure graduation and retention remains low.
No, US News rates GSU as among the best schools for an undergraduate education. I think that's largely because GSU uses statistics to track their students to make sure they stay on track to graduate. GSU does that so its graduation rate is improved.

If any place is like you describe, it's KSU. They've been packing in more students than their campus can hold for years, then they cry to the BOR that KSU needs more funding.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 9,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

Food for thought... After 10-15 years of experience in any field, it really won't matter where you went to school. Serious talk from people I know that work in recruiting/head hunting business.

It really doesn't. Best of luck to you.
HR person here and you are absolutely correct. Id argue that 5 -7 years of experience and where you received your degree wont matter much.

That said, if this individual is looking for good networking opportunities in their field of study while finishing up their degree, the more prestigious schools will be the best bet as they do offer better opportunities for this than GSU.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,408,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Flames View Post
HR person here and you are absolutely correct. Id argue that 5 -7 years of experience and where you received your degree wont matter much.

That said, if this individual is looking for good networking opportunities in their field of study while finishing up their degree, the more prestigious schools will be the best bet as they do offer better opportunities for this than GSU.

Thank you for co-signing to something many don't really know or acknowledge.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,390,845 times
I can't see any possible way of choosing Georgia State over Ohio State here other than financial aid. You can "possibly" get a job out of any school. Doesn't mean that school is the better option.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I can't see any possible way of choosing Georgia State over Ohio State here other than financial aid. You can "possibly" get a job out of any school. Doesn't mean that school is the better option.
Someone may have a good experience at any of the schools on the list (or not on the list). If he lives in GA, has a good support system, connections/network, I don't see how going to Ohio State makes it that much better. It's all subjective to be honest.

Look, I know people (and I'm sure many know people too) that made big moves in life, going to run of the mill schools. Nothing special, while in college, just to find their niche/footing/opportunity in life (in a company/govt/their own business) and excel, while I've seen others do squat with their degree at party school or expensive school, just to reminisce about their college days. Got their wives rolling their eyes at the dinner table. People clamor about college well into their 40s and 50s, broke and in debt with nothing to show for.... . Meanwhile Alumni calling for money, and they can't foot a monthly contribution.

People make it look like college solely made them who they are, and put other in snooze mode about their corny, never ending college stories. His final choice will be all that matters. His life. Many didn't go to Ohio State, Harvard etc, and are/were just fine. He may be just fine too.

I went to a private college (St John's University) in NY, and while I enjoyed it, I have no regret if I did it differently. My wife graduated from Rutgers University. We didn't do Ivy League, but we are doing fine in life (low debt, high incomes), and promote sensibility to our kids.

Our daughter got offers (different levels of scholarships at some of the colleges she applied to). We told her go for the full ride and come out debt free. (She wants to do Nursing like my wife). She'll be local, and saving money. Versus going out of state to some party school or partial scholarship. How many unemployed RN's or Doctors do you know ? Meanwhile I can show you many people from top 20 Law schools that aren't doing much with their degrees. Facts. So there's no one size fits all when it comes to colleges, or people with their pom poms about certain schools. Not aiming at you anyone for that matter.

Nothing against any of the colleges mentioned above, or you. Just promoting sensibility and what will ultimately work for him. People get bent up over these schools like they're recruiters. It's not that serious. There's a real life after that Bachelors or Masters.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Quote:
How many unemployed RN's or Doctors do you know
I totally get your point, but you're really putting way too fine a point on it.

Of course, if you go through medical school, get a nursing degree, or do some other specialized training in a field where demand far outstrips supply, it doesn't matter nearly as much were you go. Like the old saying goes, what do you call the person who graduates last in his medical school class? Doctor.

For others in much more competitive fields, where you go to college plays a much more important role in securing that important first job. The most important thing is going to a school with active alumni and one where the top firms recruit. I think you're right in that if your school doesn't offer alumni who can help or attract top firms for recruitment, then it really makes little difference where you go.

BUT....this may not apply as much to the OP as to other people...but I tend to recommend either going to the very best school you got into or selecting a large state university. The reason is because many students totally change their minds about what they want to do in school, and it's always nice to know you are somewhere that offers respectable degrees in a wide variety of disciplines.

As a quick aside, I got a master degree at GSU, and I can assure you one thing: None of the top employers in Atlanta came to recruit students. Guess where they DO go? It starts with an E.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:43 PM

Points well taken about Emory being the school of choice for these recruiters. I understand all that.

It depends on what your Masters was in as well. Was it in a field in high demand? So many variables. There was a time when people thought a MBA could land them a top CEO spot, when the reality is many people with MBAs from most schools never get a CEO position for a Fortune 500 company or a well paying gig for years, even people that get them from top business schools don't always get their ROI.

Same goes for law schools, architecture. Many fields are saturated and there are more graduates than openings. Shop wisely, I say. Or better damn good at what you're doing.

People tend to be quick to equate top schools with guaranteed success and acceptance. They get in debt, get themselves in good schools just to be competing with others indebted students like them in many fields that are saturated or don't pay. That's all I'm saying. That's why I recommended to the OP in my first post to get a degree in a field where demand outpaces graduates. OR don't go broke trying. But, life is short! It's the OP's choice at the end.

I guess you're right. I'm being specific. But later down the line, I don't want to be the one to say "There you have it! Another one bites the dust".

Your points are well taken, on all counts. And I did recommend good State schools like you did. Better ROI.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:09 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Like thousands of other Atlantans, I did the MBA program. I could have gone to Emory, but it was quite expensive. More importantly, though, Emory didn't offer a flexible part-time program, and the expense I really couldn't afford wasn't tuition...it was the inability to quit my job for two years while pursuing a degree.

Anyway, long story short, I THOUGHT I knew what I was getting. I understood top consultancies from New York weren't going to come recruiting (they DO recruit from Emory, however). But I kind of thought local employers like Home Depot, Delta, UPS, Turner, Georgia Pacific, NCR, etc. would have presences.

Nope.

I'll never forget walking out of the career fair in disgust when I saw Waffle House and Steak and Shake there. They weren't even recruiting for corporate jobs. They needed store managers. Seriously.

So I generally tell people interested in GSU's program that it's really only good if you work for an employer that is going to give you a promotion or more money when you come back with an MBA. If you hope to use it as a springboard for a career or job change, Emory is really about the lowest level school that is going to help you do that. But Ivy League or Northwestern or similar is really going to be your best bet.

GSU's career resource center, also, btw is a total joke. Not to say the degree is worthless, but you REALLY have to put in A LOT of work yourself to derive value from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or