Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 07:57 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am a Georgia State alum (as well as University of Georgia for grad school). Here is really how it shakes out:

1. Having Georgia State on my resume' has NEVER kept me from getting a job.
2. Georgia State IS the largest university in the state.
3. Apply yourself, you WILL get a good education there.
4. On the other side, my Masters degree from the state's Flagship University of Georgia HAS opened up more "networking" opportunities.

Just some honest food for thought. I really agree with the earlier post that stated that what employers REALLY want is a college degree with a decent G.P.A. (and that is really for the entry/ first job only) After that, most employers look primarily at references and experience with your education background only occupying a line item "check box" that blends into the background of your resume with other things, like your address.
You also have to factor in where you want to work right after school. If you wanted to work in Georgia, it would need to be a really good program to choose Arizona St., Houston or Temple. Its much easier to get a job when you are close by. Also recruiters aren't going around the country except for special schools.

Later on in your career, outside the southeast, people are less likely to recognize Georgia State, College of Charleston or UAB (again, unless it is a top program in the field). That can be a small negative when people are looking at your resume. They may not recognize the difference between them and an on-line degree. Your experience can offset that. But those schools would be recognized in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
What would you consider a great school? Beside Ivies and places like Duke, Emory, Rice, etc.
Well, those....

And after that, the states with really good state schools. University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, Cal, UCLA, University of Georgia, University of Florida, University of Texas, etc.

I'd consider GSU a solid tier or two below those.

Quite honestly, for what you want to do, your best chance of success is a program that is well known for it. I don't know what they are, but in a field where knowing the right people is so vital, your best bet of meeting them in through a program with a solid reputation for it.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 PM

340 posts, read 320,862 times
College of Charleston isn't nationally ranked. it is listed as a regional college. Also if you just got out of the militay, The Citadel might be good for you.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What do you plan on doing with a major in Global Studies? If you're going to go for a liberal arts major, I think you should shoot for higher tier colleges where you can make the connections to make it useful.

I went for accounting at Georgia State which is a more grounded major. Graduated in 2011, I got a somewhat related job out of college for just $35k, but after a year, promoted to $45k, and after 2 more, $60k, and now I'm at $85k after some more job hopping (as well as building SQL/Excel/SSRS skills).
Sweet. I'm definitely considering accounting. I hear GSU has a good accounting program. For what it's worth, a lot of students come to GSU to do business. As for your major, global studies, it's not something I've heard GSU specializes in. Overall, I think it's a solid university.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:29 PM

22 posts, read 24,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
College of Charleston isn't nationally ranked. it is listed as a regional college. Also if you just got out of the militay, The Citadel might be good for you.
For U.S. News yeah, but I also used Niche & Forbes for my rankings. The military has been great, but the last thing I want to do is go to a school that essentially a military academy. I've been overseas, deployed, been through structure, training, etc. I want "normal" lol.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM

55 posts, read 79,654 times
Temple is well-regarded in the Northeast and would play better that Georgia State.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, those....

And after that, the states with really good state schools. University of Virginia, University of North Carolina, Cal, UCLA, University of Georgia, University of Florida, University of Texas, etc.

I'd consider GSU a solid tier or two below those.

Quite honestly, for what you want to do, your best chance of success is a program that is well known for it. I don't know what they are, but in a field where knowing the right people is so vital, your best bet of meeting them in through a program with a solid reputation for it.

A few of these is not like the other.

I find it absolutely comical that Georgia gets lumped in with CAL. Or UCLA. Georgia has better students because of HOPE. Yes. Better education from 20 yrs ago when all you needed was a pulse? Perhaps, but CAL caliber? No.

My dad went to CAL ..and UCLA ..and finally graduated from SF State. He takes exception to those comparisons and always produces stats that back it up.

Same vein as Virginia and UNC too? lulz x 1000.

Back to the OP's question. Why in the world would someone from ATL want to stay in downtown ATL for school? Go find a college town. College in downtown ATL sounds like a terrible way to spend your college years. No offense to any Panthers.

Don't got to ASU.

- Arizona Grad

Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,486 times
I was a first generation college student that didn't do extracurriculars, so I assumed UGA wouldn't accept me, so I only knew of Georgia State, Kennesaw, and Georgia Southern. Being close to family and HOPE helped.

But if you had a choice, I would not settle for Georgia State.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:25 AM

221 posts, read 189,956 times
As a University of Michigan graduate, it pains me to say it but Ohio State is the best school on the list that you provided.

Georgia State is an ok regional school but if you want to work outside of GA after graduation then GSU will not open enough doors for you.

If you are single then go to ASU

Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
If you're going to work in Atlanta, then GSU is where you need to be. It's not an "elite" school, but you get a solid education there and its graduates are able to get any type of job they want with their degrees. It would be much easier to get a job in Atlanta from GSU than from the other schools listed.

But like someone else said, after your first job, the school you went to, GPA, etc. really aren't all that important unless you're trying to be a Supreme Court Justice or trying to go to med school or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta