U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 AM

205 posts, read 78,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Oh, I'm not listing the house any time soon.

I also only got the 60 Mbps service. Used to have 30, and they said if I wanted anything more, they'd have to convert to fiber, so I just let them do it.

One thing I will say I've noticed....the speed is fine, but what's really helpful is the ping and jitter rates are ridiculously low.

I'm kind of skeptical of gigabit service. Even if I can really get speeds that high, I don't think anybody sends that fast. Can anybody who has it confirm? Do you really notice that big of a difference from 60 Mbps, which is fine for most applications?
There are some servers that will send at those speeds, but 60Mbps is fine for most applications.

What fiber truly is good for is handling multiple high bandwidth applications. One kid is watching 4K Youtube, another is downloading several GB files, you are watching 4K Netflix, all simultaneously. It is also useful for high bandwidth power users like twitch streamers, who need to upload video streams their desktop + webcam in pristine quality in real time.

While gigabit service may not be necessary now, things like routine software updates are getting bigger and bigger, and downloading your update in 1 minute vs 1 hour makes a difference. As downloadable files and streaming video gets better and better, the benefit of gigabit service will become more apparent. Back in the day no one felt then needed more than 128kbps DSL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 02:07 PM

560 posts, read 306,281 times
I doubt that having fiber, or being in a neighborhood offering fiber would make any difference in the selling price.
However, not having decent internet access means many people with IT jobs would just walk away without saying anything. Many executives work nearly around the clock now-a-days, and many people like hospital doctors need high speed to monitor patients and respond instantly to emergencies.
OTOH, I suppose lowering the pool of potential buyers could indirectly lower the price.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 PM

13,103 posts, read 15,911,562 times
Not sure about your home, but it’s supposed to be really good for your colon ...

Old 05-05-2018, 02:40 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,489,619 times
I have AT&T Fiber. It is great, much more reliable than Comcast cable internet. And it's 10 times faster. It's stupid fast, like unreasonably fast. But whatever impact it may have on the value of my home is dwarfed by other factors like the increase in the value of property that falls within a half mile of the Beltline.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:24 AM

445 posts, read 512,264 times
After owning my current home in Atlanta with AT&T gigabit fiber, I will not consider moving to another home without gigabit fiber. So, someone who is selling without a fiber connection would lose a potential buyer like me.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times
Yes and no.

In classical interpretations of home value, not yet that I've seen.

In consumer decision-making when screening for their next home, ABSOLUTELY.

So while we might not be able to say "fiber adds $x,xxx to your home's value", it definitely will make some people skip over your home entirely. I've seen some people shop for their new home by pulling up AT&T's fiber footprint, THEN search those areas in Zillow.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:29 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,672,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Yes and no.

In classical interpretations of home value, not yet that I've seen.

In consumer decision-making when screening for their next home, ABSOLUTELY.

So while we might not be able to say "fiber adds $x,xxx to your home's value", it definitely will make some people skip over your home entirely. I've seen some people shop for their new home by pulling up AT&T's fiber footprint, THEN search those areas in Zillow.
Do they not know that Comcast now offers gigabit service?

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...nt-merger-deal

You should see the wireless companies start to compete for home internet too with the coming arrival of 5G.

Quote:
“So, what do you do with a nationwide average of 450 megabits per second?” asked T-Mobile’s Sievert during the carrier’s earnings call today. “Well, first you recognize that that's way higher than most people get in their home broadband today. So, of course, we can be a competitor in that space. And this is a market that's incredibly underserved; 53% of high-speed broadband customers have only one choice for high-speed broadband in their area.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM

7,688 posts, read 9,532,497 times
I would imagine we will all live to see the day where cell phone providers take over providing all internet services, the same way they pretty much killed landlines.

But before they can do that, they're going to have to adjust their business practices to stop throttling (or at least raise the thresholds for doing so) and stop trying to charge people money to use mobile hotspots. It's kind of a waste of resources anyway since anybody with half a brain who knows how to root an Android device (and presumably jailbreak an iPhone, I don't know if they have tethering built-in or not) can easily get around it.

I think a lot of people, however, don't do this and end up paying for home internet because they don't want to pay their cell phone carriers more. If you think about it, regular LTE provides faster speeds than many people get in their homes, but cell phone carriers have been terrible at tapping into the home market using that technology. They haven't even tried.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:02 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,672,820 times
There's a # of promising technologies to take on the current home internet monopoly. Comcast knows competition is coming and even offered to let me renew my internet for $10 less than my previous term (paying $60 now, modem included, for 60 mbps, and I didn't even threaten to cancel).

https://wifinowevents.com/news-and-b...-5g-fwa-hopes/
https://www.fiercetelecom.com/teleco...tional-utility

Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,735,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Do they not know that Comcast now offers gigabit service?
It is way more expensive monthly, installation is more expensive and it is not symmetrical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta