U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 09:17 PM

8,285 posts, read 10,225,765 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to find any empirical data on this, just some numbers from the fiber industry, of course saying it does.

But has anybody really sold their house for more because it has fiber?

Also, how many homes in Atlanta have fiber connections? I know Google came to town a while ago and then fizzled out. Is it common in the area?

I just had a fiber line put in my house. I'm not buying the Gigabit service, but it's available. I'm wondering if that's actually a unique amenity or just "whatever." Of course, when I sell someday, everything will probably be completely wireless. It's really just a curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 PM

6,318 posts, read 3,394,355 times
I wish I had fiber but don't. And it's a condo so I probably couldn't get it. So I'd say yes it does add to the home value. Not sure by how much though.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:24 AM

333 posts, read 226,367 times
For what it is worth, we just had an appraisal done. We have fiber in the neighborhood, but it never came up, nor did it influence the value. I don't think it would have justified a higher list or selling price either.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:04 AM

4,351 posts, read 6,017,854 times
For people who want a fast connection, yes. I wouldn't buy a hiuse without it.

AT&T has expanded over the metro with it.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,762,876 times
https://corporate.comcast.com/news-i...-and-nashville

Comcast is rolling out "DOCSIS 3.1" across the nation. From what I've read, it relies on existing cables, so no need to dig. Just need a new modem. It reaches 1 gig, and I think "true" fiber can be faster.

I still am at the 60Mbps tier though to save $.

Doesn't hurt to advertise it in your listing though, if you want to market it as a smart home.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:15 PM

10,010 posts, read 9,299,456 times
Given how relatively inexpensive it is to have fiber installed, I seriously doubt if having or not having it moves the needle on a home's sales price.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:32 PM

8,285 posts, read 10,225,765 times
Oh, I'm not listing the house any time soon.

I also only got the 60 Mbps service. Used to have 30, and they said if I wanted anything more, they'd have to convert to fiber, so I just let them do it.

One thing I will say I've noticed....the speed is fine, but what's really helpful is the ping and jitter rates are ridiculously low.

I'm kind of skeptical of gigabit service. Even if I can really get speeds that high, I don't think anybody sends that fast. Can anybody who has it confirm? Do you really notice that big of a difference from 60 Mbps, which is fine for most applications?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 PM

421 posts, read 205,952 times
I dont think having fiber increases your home value. But I do believe living in an area with it available gives you better chances against comparable areas which don't.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:59 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,762,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Oh, I'm not listing the house any time soon.

I also only got the 60 Mbps service. Used to have 30, and they said if I wanted anything more, they'd have to convert to fiber, so I just let them do it.

One thing I will say I've noticed....the speed is fine, but what's really helpful is the ping and jitter rates are ridiculously low.

I'm kind of skeptical of gigabit service. Even if I can really get speeds that high, I don't think anybody sends that fast. Can anybody who has it confirm? Do you really notice that big of a difference from 60 Mbps, which is fine for most applications?
Depends how many devices and people are in your home. I thought 25 was enough for 3 people, but it's not anymore these days with all the HD streaming.

60 is good most of the time, unless someone is updating their phone, or watching a 4k stream.

1 gig could be worth it for a big household, or if you're the type that likes to download unofficial shows and movies.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 AM

3,458 posts, read 5,086,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Given how relatively inexpensive it is to have fiber installed, I seriously doubt if having or not having it moves the needle on a home's sales price.
It's not about the cost but the availability, you are at ATT's mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta