U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 PM
JPD

12,144 posts, read 14,733,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I am asking how you can tell if I am using the scooter to get around or joyriding just by looking at me.
I wouldn't be able to pick you out of a lineup. But if you are speeding down the sidewalk and then I see you again 30 seconds later speeding down the same sidewalk, in the same direction, on the same block, then you are clearly joyriding and not actually on the way anywhere. I see this type of thing every day in the Five Points/Woodruff Park/CNN/Centennial Park area. Far more often than I see someone who appears to be headed to a destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 04:09 PM

10,142 posts, read 7,137,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I wouldn't be able to pick you out of a lineup. But if you are speeding down the sidewalk and then I see you again 30 seconds later speeding down the same sidewalk, in the same direction, on the same block, then you are clearly joyriding and not actually on the way anywhere. I see this type of thing every day in the Five Points/Woodruff Park/CNN/Centennial Park area. Far more often than I see someone who appears to be headed to a destination.
Not sure how a backpack maters. I am usually carrying a bag with me.

I am often in that very area (I have a membership at Switchyards), how am I missing these scooters pacing up and down same stretch of road? I do sometimes see cars doing that likely trying to find parking and / or figure out our mess of one-way streets.

What do you think is the solution for the joyriders?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 PM

28,528 posts, read 25,273,505 times
Quote:
None of these things should be on the sidewalk due in part to the speed differential between these vehicles and peds.
Speaking of riding on the sidewalk, a couple of weeks ago I had to pick up somebody at the airport, and when time permits I prefer taking the surface streets. Several guys came tearing down Metropolitan on the sidewalk on ATV's and dirt bikes. They'd weave into the street and then back onto the sidewalk.

That is plumb crazy if you ask me.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,983,586 times
Quote:
Uhhhhhhh...what? Where did he say anything about a backpack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Speaking of riding on the sidewalk, a couple of weeks ago I had to pick up somebody at the airport, and when time permits I prefer taking the surface streets. Several guys came tearing down Metropolitan on the sidewalk on ATV's and dirt bikes. They'd weave into the street and then back onto the sidewalk.

That is plumb crazy if you ask me.
This was talked about on the radio yesterday. It's a group of people who do this, and cause havoc. Police are doing a crackdown and impounded 14 vehicles the other day I believe.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 AM
JPD

Quote:
I said nothing about backpacks. Fool, move along.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Uhhhhhhh...what? Where did he say anything about a backpack?

This was talked about on the radio yesterday. It's a group of people who do this, and cause havoc. Police are doing a crackdown and impounded 14 vehicles the other day I believe.
They also found some of the people to be in possession of unlicensed guns, so...so much for their slogan of "wheels up guns down."

Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 AM

10,142 posts, read 7,137,613 times
Quote:
I said nothing about backpacks. Fool, move along.
Yeah, not sure where I got backpacks from.

So what solution are you suggesting?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 AM

5,022 posts, read 3,824,794 times
I agree with JPD though not to the same extreme, that's what my other topic about the effectiveness of all these rideshare vehicles is all about. As to solutions, I don't know. Maybe provide incentives to return vehicles to docks/nests in the reverse-peak direction? (toward MARTA stations and residential in the morning, back toward businesses in the afternoon).

Old 07-13-2018, 02:00 PM

22,691 posts, read 16,711,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I agree with JPD though not to the same extreme, that's what my other topic about the effectiveness of all these rideshare vehicles is all about. As to solutions, I don't know. Maybe provide incentives to return vehicles to docks/nests in the reverse-peak direction? (toward MARTA stations and residential in the morning, back toward businesses in the afternoon).
This is a great idea, along the lines of how Relay Bikes gives $1 credit to users who pick up a bike not in a hub (the $2 out of hub fees have been waved) and return to a hub.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM

28,528 posts, read 25,273,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It was crazy. Made me think of Mad Max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or