U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 08:00 AM

22,647 posts, read 16,679,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
Those scooters are fun. I rode one on the Beltline and around the Old 4th Ward side streets. Still they need some regulations. On Friday I was turning off 75/85 on to Freedom Parkway and this scooter was coming down Freedom parkway. I imagine there will be some serious acccidents on those things.
I don't think there are any signs banning light individual transportation from using Freedom Pkwy, in fact the speed limit east of Boulevard is 25mph. The smarter thing would have to use the Freedom Park Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 AM

28,500 posts, read 25,237,611 times
Dumb question, but what is the importance of making these things dockless? Seems like that encourages people to just hop off wherever they please and leave the thing lying there.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Dumb question, but what is the importance of making these things dockless? Seems like that encourages people to just hop off wherever they please and leave the thing lying there.
Hope on/hop off.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:58 AM
JPD

12,103 posts, read 14,716,902 times
Quote:
Maximum laziness. Minimum responsibility.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:12 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,688,403 times
Quote:
To add to the other answers, the companies want them to be ubiquitous, so they would have to lease a great deal of space to accomplish this if they were docked. This is also one reason that providing drop off spaces for the companies wouldn’t work. We don’t have enough spaces, and they certainly shouldn’t be free. They would need on-street parking spaces on Peachtree, which don’t exist, in order to match their current level of distribution.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
To add to the other answers, the companies want them to be ubiquitous, so they would have to lease a great deal of space to accomplish this if they were docked. This is also one reason that providing drop off spaces for the companies wouldn’t work. We don’t have enough spaces, and they certainly shouldn’t be free. They would need on street parking spaces on Peachtree, which don’t exist, in order to match their current level of distribution.
I don't buy this. This is company line PR that they'd like the public to believe. Prior to the scooters, there were docked bicycles on Marietta Street that were trying to serve basically the same purpose as these scooters. There's no reason why strategically placed docks couldn't be placed on sidewalks that are wide enough to accommodate them. There are many places the docks could be placed that would not clutter up the sidewalks or take up space on the street. There is plenty of room to set up docks at Marta stations, in front of public libraries, on college campuses, in parks, near Grady, at CNN, at parking lots/garages, in front of hotels and office towers, etc. Treat them exactly like bicycles/bike racks. Sure, they might have to pay someone for the use of some of these spaces, but why should they expect to get the use of space wherever they want for free?

Last edited by JPD; 12-17-2018 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,688,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Treat them exactly like bicycles/bike racks. Sure, they might have to pay someone for the use of some of these spaces, but why should they expect to get the use of space wherever they want for free?
They are getting the space they use for free currently, not that I agree with it. It’s not really that not enough space exists to park them, but rather that the companies prefer to have groups of them all over the place. They want to keep the ubiquity of the scooters, and the free parking they currently enjoy. Also, I wouldn’t want to see spaces in front of libraries or in parks leased to scooter companies.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:16 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
They are getting the space they use for free currently, not that I agree with it. It’s not really that not enough space exists to park them, but rather that the companies prefer to have groups of them all over the place. They want to keep the ubiquity of the scooters, and the free parking they currently enjoy. Also, I wouldn’t want to see spaces in front of libraries or in parks leased to scooter companies.
Well, you're objectively wrong to feel that way. It is far preferable to do that than having for-profit companies getting a free ride and making money off of library/park space while not only does the library/park get nothing in return, but the users of the library/park are inconvenienced by these things lying all over the place.

If for-profit companies/products are going to exist in public spaces, they should have to pay for the use of that space.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 AM

4,472 posts, read 2,972,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I don't think there are any signs banning light individual transportation from using Freedom Pkwy, in fact the speed limit east of Boulevard is 25mph. The smarter thing would have to use the Freedom Park Trail.
Freedom Parkway is 25MPH? Haha! Ain't nobody going 25MPH on that road. But yeah...why on earth would someone ride a scooter on Freedom Parkway when there's a perfectly good multi-use trail running literally right alongside it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't buy this. This is company line PR that they'd like the public to believe. Prior to the scooters, there were docked bicycles on Marietta Street that were trying to serve basically the same purpose as these scooters. There's no reason why strategically placed docks couldn't be placed on sidewalks that are wide enough to accommodate them. There are many places the docks could be placed that would not clutter up the sidewalks or take up space on the street. There is plenty of room to set up docks at Marta stations, in front of public libraries, on college campuses, in parks, near Grady, at CNN, at parking lots/garages, in front of hotels and office towers, etc. Treat them exactly like bicycles/bike racks. Sure, they might have to pay someone for the use of some of these spaces, but why should they expect to get the use of space wherever they want for free?
I dunno...I get the frustration, but I think the general appeal and usefulness of these is that they are anywhere and everywhere, not just in specific spots every few blocks like the relay bikes. My only beef with it is that they are left in the worst spots. However, they should be tucked right up against buildings or in non-walkable spots, not smack dab in the middle of driveways and sidewalks. For instance, if you wanted to leave scooters around the Fox Theatre, they'd go here or here (in the corner), not here.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Freedom Parkway is 25MPH? Haha! Ain't nobody going 25MPH on that road. But yeah...why on earth would someone ride a scooter on Freedom Parkway when there's a perfectly good multi-use trail running literally right alongside it?
The mutliuse trail, at the section in question is along Highland-Baker Connector. Newbies maybe didn't know that. That does not excuse drivers for exceeding the speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or