U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 07:38 AM

296 posts, read 104,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
Example?
I just really don't like the dockless businesses. It's not their fault, per se, that many of their customers end up being lazy, selfish slobs who leave the bike or scooter across a sidewalk or on someone else's property. However, I have seen no indication from any of the dockless businesses that they care one bit about it. They need to care about it because they're contributing to a very real littering problem.

I love seeing new disruptive technologies and products, but I have also become increasingly cynical about how irresponsible many of the disruptive tech companies have ended up being over the last decade. There's a balancing act that has to happen in order to prevent the heavy hand of regulation from overcorrecting and killing the disruption before it can fully develop.

The docked bike share companies, IMO, strike that balance better.

[Yes, I am apparently developing a bit of Mr. Wilson syndrome]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 07:58 AM
JPD

12,134 posts, read 14,726,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I just really don't like the dockless businesses. It's not their fault, per se, that many of their customers end up being lazy, selfish slobs
The entire business model relies on people's inherent laziness. So we can all expect sidewalks across the city to be littered with these ridiculous toys for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 8,880,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Probably the same folks who double park or park in bike lanes.
Yep. Or the butt holes who illegally park in handicap spots and in front of fire hydrants.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 AM

296 posts, read 104,372 times
ATL Councilmembers are looking at possible regulations because of the litter problem:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/7/3/...ta-regulations

Quote:
Thanks to an ordinance proposal backed by Atlanta Councilmembers Michael Bond, Jennifer Ide, Dustin Hillis, Matt Westmoreland, and Andre Dickens, the city is one step closer to regulating the bike- and scooter- and moped-sharing services that seem to be sprouting weekly in Atlanta.

If ratified, the legislation would also require the companies running vehicle-sharing services to pay a to-be-determined permit fee to the city’s Office of Mobility Planning, which would yield them a year-long license to operate in Atlanta.

“No more than 10 shareable dockless mobility devices may be parked per block citywide, among all operators, and no more than 200 shareable dockless mobility devices may be parked per square mile citywide, among all operators,” per the legislation.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 AM
JPD

They need to regulate where these things can be used. It's totally unacceptable for pedestrians to have to compete for sidewalk space with motorized vehicles. If bikes can't be on the sidewalk, why are these allowed there? This whole dalliance is a step backwards.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 AM

752 posts, read 357,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They need to regulate where these things can be used. It's totally unacceptable for pedestrians to have to compete for sidewalk space with motorized vehicles. If bikes can't be on the sidewalk, why are these allowed there? This whole dalliance is a step backwards.
I see bikes on sidewalks all the time in Midtown. Even on tenth street by Piedmont park. It's not enforced for bikes, so I'm sure it won't be enforced for all the scooters.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:09 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
I see bikes on sidewalks all the time in Midtown. Even on tenth street by Piedmont park. It's not enforced for bikes, so I'm sure it won't be enforced for all the scooters.
That shouldn't equate to permission. I work downtown and I've nearly been ht by these things several times. People ride them as fast as they'll go and whip around blind corners. It's idiotic and people are going to get hurt.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:11 PM

10,136 posts, read 7,133,283 times
There are already rules against riding them places like the sidewalk and the Beltline. Just like their is a "monetary solicitation prohibited zone" signs all over downtown.

As is often the case, regulation alone is not the answer.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

As is often the case, regulation alone is not the answer.
Agreed. There should be dedicated lanes on the road, and somehow configure them so they only operate in those lanes, using magnets or whatever technology it takes, no matter how much it costs. Short of that, get rid of them.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:56 PM

752 posts, read 357,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Agreed. There should be dedicated lanes on the road, and somehow configure them so they only operate in those lanes, using magnets or whatever technology it takes, no matter how much it costs. Short of that, get rid of them.
That's just nonsensical. The magnets part I mean.

Enforcement and building more separate lanes is the only way to get them off of sidewalks. I understand why people do it. It's about safety. Increasing theirs decreases that of pedestrians.

I brought up bikes because they are just as notorious for riding on sidewalks even when separated lanes are available. Bicyclists run lights and stop signs. I will not advocate that bicycles be banned. This technology will do more good than harm. I think our terrible sidewalks are a greater hindrance to our physically disable citizens than scooter filled sidewalks.

I think the proposed ordinance is a good start. I wonder how difficult it would to create virtual docks or parking spaces for the scooters. . It wouldn't be a cure all but could maybe cut down on having them left in the middle of sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or