Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:09 PM

787 posts, read 968,635 times

Advertisements

I've decided to go back to school for my graduate degree, I've narrowed it down between UGA and Kennesaw State because of their 100 percent online IT Masters programs which are similar. The biggest difference is the cost, UGA cost over twice as much per credit hour than KS. Is paying for a name like UGA worth it? Or will I be fine paying less for a lesser known name like Kennesaw State? I do plan on staying and working in the Atlanta area for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 06:25 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
If it were me, I'd go to KSU due to the cost and the two schools having similar master's programs. I have a feeling though that when employers look at your resume, having UGA on there would make you stand out more. You see...before you even mentioned that UGA and KSU have similar programs, I already made the assumption that UGA's is way better quality. I didn't mean to make that assumption but I did and pretty sure other people will too.

Where did you get your bachelor's? Do you find that employers talk about which school you went to for your bachelor's? Not necessarily a conversation but at least mention it?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,944,777 times
UGA's name carries out of the region a lot better than KSU, but twice the money is probably not worth it.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
One of the benefits of a UGA degree would be the networking and opportunity to make some potential job connections. I'm not sure if that is applicable to an on-line IT Master's or not.

Overall, if the curriculum and quality of both programs is comparable, I'd go with the most affordable option and take full advantage of everything that Kennesaw has to offer.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
One of the benefits of a UGA degree would be the networking and opportunity to make some potential job connections. I'm not sure if that is applicable to an on-line IT Master's or not.

Overall, if the curriculum and quality of both programs is comparable, I'd go with the most affordable option and take full advantage of everything that Kennesaw has to offer.

I didn't even think of that. Good thoughts!

LarryX...perhaps you will be able to network online? I know sometimes students create a groupme account for certain classes and that could be a good way of getting to know your classmates; perhaps you could meet them in person for something to eat/drinks eventually.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 AM

I'm in my mid-30s, been working in corporate IT for a number of years, from my experience in my field I don't think what school you went too matters that much, it's more about work experience, who you know, reputation, timing & opportunity. I think I've made my decision; UGA may be more popular and maybe even a better program but it's not worth more than double the cost.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,372 times
If you are in your mid-30s, have corporate IT experience, and plan to stay in the A for a minute, then Kennesaw State would be just fine.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:09 PM

654 posts, read 526,818 times
I have a personal standard that I believe everyone should stick to.

You generally only get one degree at each level. So make them count. Say with MBAs, a degree from a school ranked 50 isn't worth half of a school ranked 25...it's much less than that.

Although it pains me to say it, get the U(sic)GA degree. It's not double the overall cost and the U(sic)GA name is worth orders of magnitude more than KSU outside of Atlanta. You think you will live in Atlanta your entire life untill the day you don't live in Atlanta anymore.

Last edited by LTCM; 02-14-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
I have a personal standard that I believe everyone should stick to.

You generally only get one degree at each level. So make them count. Say with MBAs, a degree from a school ranked 50 isn't worth half of a school ranked 25...it's much less than that.

Although it pains me to say it, get the U(sic)GA degree. It's not double the overall cost and the U(sic)GA name is worth orders of magnitude more than KSU outside of Atlanta. You think you will live in Atlanta your entire life untill the day you don't live in Atlanta anymore.
I don't plan on moving from Atlanta and if I have to one day by that time I'll have enough work experience to where what school my Degree is from won't matter.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 PM

340 posts, read 320,701 times
I would go with UGA. The name carries much better than KSU even in Atlanta. Also, the networking would be much better as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: