U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:04 PM

277 posts, read 89,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Heavens, Icon, I'm not suggesting forcible integration.

But what about an artistic line up and marketing that appeals to a broader audience? These are being held at publicly supported facilities, I assume.
Who did you have in mind that would fit this festivals genre? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:31 PM

203 posts, read 77,946 times
A rock music festival is never going to bring the diversity you desire.

Other festivals have hip hop artists in the lineup and it may make the crowds more diverse. For example, Ludacris will be performing at Shaky Beats this weekend.

Overall though, I don't think attending music festivals is a prevalent cultural past time in the African American community.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:32 PM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Are these music festivals getting any more diverse? In a city known for its diversity it would sure be nice to find a way to make them more inclusive.

This is exactly the same as what you'll see at Bonnaroo, Coachella, Hangout, Outside Lands, Lollapalooza, and other festivals that feature music similar to this. This is the crowd that likes this type of music. You might as well be asking about the lack of diversity at a country music festival.

People always drag Music Midtown through the mud, but they do a better job of attracting a diverse crowd than most of the newer festivals, or for that matter, Woodstock, Atlanta Pop Festival, and other music festivals from generations past that were also almost exclusively white.

Last edited by JPD; 05-08-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 09:15 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,478,644 times
Quote:

But what about an artistic line up and marketing that appeals to a broader audience? These are being held at publicly supported facilities, I assume.

If I'm dropping $200 on a weekend, I want to see mostly bands that appeal to me. Not half something I care to see and half something I would never pay to see live. May come as a surprise but the promoter wants to sell tickets.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:31 AM

395 posts, read 470,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Overall though, I don't think attending music festivals is a prevalent cultural past time in the African American community.
It is. Maybe not as much local festivals as destination festivals - but jazz festivals, old-school hip hop festivals, r&b festivals and the like - - - very much so. Then there are the huge ones, like Essence Fest in New Orleans, the Soul Beach Music Festival in Aruba, and so on. Festivals with many years of history and thousands of attendees.

https://festival.essence.com/
2018 Capital Jazz Fest | Official Site
Soul Beach Music Festival 2018 – Official Site of the Soul Beach Music Festival in Aruba

A slew of local festivals at Wolk Creek Amphitheater every year also meet the criteria.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times
Quote:

This makes no sense. Are you suggesting that music festivals should contain broad genres of music that appeal to all kinds of different people? That's a terrible idea for a large music festival. At that point, a large section of the audience is not interested in who is playing. They're trying to keep people there all day, not have them come in for one band.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:52 AM

277 posts, read 89,026 times
Bruh, this has to be one of the blackest fest I've ever heard of. Some bougie blacks folks on a foreign beach having a giant grown ans sexy party. This is peak black. lmao.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:48 PM

395 posts, read 470,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Bruh, this has to be one of the blackest fest I've ever heard of. Some bougie blacks folks on a foreign beach having a giant grown ans sexy party. This is peak black. lmao.
Ha! Unapologetically so. I've always seen the pics and wanted to throw myself directly into the middle of the GROWN part. That's one ol' beach-side cupid shuffle going on! I'll report back to you in two weeks. I leave on the 24th!

Old 05-09-2018, 01:13 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
If I'm dropping $200 on a weekend, I want to see mostly bands that appeal to me. Not half something I care to see and half something I would never pay to see live. May come as a surprise but the promoter wants to sell tickets.
Okay. I don't know much about today's pop music but I certainly expect people to attend the concerts that they like. My only thought was that the ATL has long prided itself on being a diverse, "big tent" kind of place where all are welcome. I believe that panache has helped our reputation quite a bit.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Okay. I don't know much about today's pop music but I certainly expect people to attend the concerts that they like. My only thought was that the ATL has long prided itself on being a diverse, "big tent" kind of place where all are welcome. I believe that panache has helped our reputation quite a bit.
Not everything has to be, or should be, the living embodiment of the census data in a given area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or