U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 AM

205 posts, read 106,151 times

Advertisements

Yeah you’re on the right track with those neighborhoods. Mine, Jackson’s Creek, is nearby as well but I think you might be looking to spend a little more. Very social, colonial houses (built in 70s), tall trees. Lots of kids, also some empty nesters. Young families constantly moving in.

You might like Hampton Farms or Riverhill too. But I may be projecting my love for colonial homes and established neighborhoods (tall trees, houses don’t all look the same).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 332,233 times
I'd recommend an older, possibly historic neighborhood with timeless houses that hold their value. I can't help thinking that any neighborhood built in response to a recent housing boom has the highest propensity to fluctuate in price if the market just bottoms out.

Newer homes in developments with an HOA and managed services are attractive, energy-efficient, and value-built, I admit. However, if you don't necessarily want to go historic, perhaps try for a custom home built outside of an HOA (very few exceptions, such as gated communities) if your budget supports it.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,668,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'd recommend an older, possibly historic neighborhood with timeless houses that hold their value. I can't help thinking that any neighborhood built in response to a recent housing boom has the highest propensity to fluctuate in price if the market just bottoms out.

Newer homes in developments with an HOA and managed services are attractive, energy-efficient, and value-built, I admit. However, if you don't necessarily want to go historic, perhaps try for a custom home built outside of an HOA (very few exceptions, such as gated communities) if your budget supports it.
In East Cobb the homes in HOA neighborhoods are probably the way to go, though. It is heavily neighborhood based socially, and a lot of buyers want to be in a cohesive swim/tennis community. It can be a negative to be in one of the random houses that is not in a neighborhood. Often they are on busy streets, isolated, etc.

And East Cobb is not known for it's historic homes. I would go with as new as you can afford--built in the last 20 years, over the 70s-80s houses if you can swing it--mostly because of layout and ceiling height.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 AM

533 posts, read 1,522,649 times
East Cobb is full of kids due to the great schools. There are a ton of kids everywhere, my guess is you just arent looking in the right areas-aka a lot of new neighborhoods have tiny yards- 1/3-1/2 acre max. So most of the kids are going to be playing by the pool, playground area. We live in Highland Pointe- tons of kids but you really wont be seeing them playing in the front yard as we have a great community area. The Roswell area is fantastic also, but you might be paying higher taxes.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 28,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Roswell VS. MARIETTA?

SO WE SPENT the weekend house hunting in Marietta east Cobb. But also found some homes in Roswell that fell in Lassiter. We obviously are fond of Pope Walton and Lassiter but read so many reciews on how snobby they all are and how so many kids fall thru the cracks if they aren't beyond over achievers.... our son is very deiven so we dont see that as a problem but we are laid back people. We help out whenever we are needed but we are not the type to hover our son as doing as he is doing well, nor do we enjoy spending all of our time at school events and functions or pta . Roswell high als0 seems to rank high...tboughts?

The other thing we are looking for some clarification on are the age demographics. This may be touchy so I apologize ahead but it is important to us. We love people of all ages and I enjoy having elderly neighbors to an extent but a couple of the neighborhoods we really like seem to have a lack of younger families. The only people we saw out were much older than us. Is this typical of the area or are we simply just not seeing the people our age because they are working, busy, at kids events etc? It just seemed like every time we saw a house we liked we would see neighbors on each side and across and they were much older. We are in our late 30s and would like to meet people and male friends. One issue is that we can afford more house than some people our age and our kids are older than most people have that are our age. and that has always been an issue every where we lived. So we are trying to spend less but then sacrificing things we enjoy. So there is no win-win, but maybe someone that lives in east cobb County of marietta or Roswell can offer some thoughts and maybe share where the larger master plan type neighborhoods are with younger families.

Overall we love it. No complaints, just want to find a neighborhood with other like families with children.
East Cobb is old. I grew up there. It's all grandparents and people with kids in college.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:58 PM

6,899 posts, read 9,589,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAtlantaRes View Post
East Cobb is old. I grew up there. It's all grandparents and people with kids in college.
Two dozen posts using data and statistics preceding this that state otherwise but you come along with nothing other than you grew up there and you know some parents that are now grandparents.

Gotta do better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or