U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 628,379 times

Advertisements

Many people will suggest Midtown because it's the gay neighborhood, but I don't think it's best for you. All of Atlanta is accepting of gay people and plenty live all over. In addition, Midtown is not going to give you greenery or a yard for your pup's, especially not for 1800.

I would rule out Midtown, Downtown, and Buckhead. I think you're a perfect fit for the Eastside neighborhoods, which are a bit more "suburban" in feel and have lots of homes with yards, greenspaces, etc. They are also close to the city and fairly low traffic since you can avoid the highway for most driving within the city. Your budget might not work as well for the "northern" part of the Eastside (Virginia Highland, Morningside, etc) if you want a home with a yard. I would look at Edgewood/Kirkwood, Reynoldstown, Cabbagetown, and maybe Candler Park though that one's a bit more expensive. North Druid Hills is also a good choice though it's a bit further out, traffic is pretty heavy at times, and you wouldn't be in the City of Atlanta. You could get lucky and find something in City of Decatur (a liberal, very close in suburb to City of Atlanta) but because of the low crime and excellent schools you likely won't find anything. Beware unincorporated Dekalb, which is sometimes listed as "Decatur" but is not, with generally poor services and higher crime. Good rule of thumb is if it says Decatur but is South of Memorial Drive, avoid it.

All of the neighborhoods I have mentioned are educated and liberal. Generally anywhere within the perimeter will meet that standard except certain parts of Buckhead (can lean conservative) and much of SW Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 03:06 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Sounds like Brookhaven would be be a good fit for you.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:16 PM

1,268 posts, read 628,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like Brookhaven would be be a good fit for you.
Anything in the NE part of the metro (Brookhaven, N Druid Hills, etc) has killer traffic getting to and from the city during rush hour.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 1,347 times
hey there! im also looking to relocate to atlanta, hopefully transfering with my job. have you guys visited atlanta?
im a gay single guy and like you im kinda checking the areas where i would prefer to live if i do move.
Keep in touch! maybe we can trade valuable info

mario

Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Anything in the NE part of the metro (Brookhaven, N Druid Hills, etc) has killer traffic getting to and from the city during rush hour.
They could take the train. 23 minutes from Brookhaven to Arts Center.

However, they apparently don't know at this point whether they'll be commuting in that direction.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 PM

24 posts, read 12,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Generally, you probably should focus your search for housing in the generally more urban and progressive part of the Atlanta metro area inside of the I-285 Perimeter (with the exception of a few increasingly progressive areas outside of the I-285 Perimeter like Smyrna, Cumberland, Sandy Springs, Perimeter Center area, Norcross, etc).

...But (like the other posters have stated), you *REALLY* should know where you will be commuting to and from for work each day before making a final decision on which neighborhood to move into.

Where you commute to and from for work each day should play a key role in determining which exact neighborhood you move into in a large major metro area in Atlanta that is known to have some notable traffic challenges.
areas inside of the perimeter like where?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 PM

5,357 posts, read 4,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm iii View Post
areas inside of the perimeter like where?
There are too many neighborhoods to name (dozens of neighborhoods inside of the I-285 Perimeter), but basically all of the neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta, Fulton County and DeKalb County that other posters have mentioned.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Do you happen to have any preference for being near other Latinos?

And where are you moving from?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:01 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Which makes them not at all unique to any other intown suburb.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:22 AM

625 posts, read 1,929,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Do you happen to have any preference for being near other Latinos?

And where are you moving from?
Good questions - they're related, actually. We are moving from New Orleans, in part because I want to live in a city with a larger Latino population. That said, it doesn't have to be a Latino neighborhood, but it would certainly not be something I'd be opposed to.​
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or