U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times

Advertisements

I need to start composting. The previous owner of our house left a compost bin behind the shed. I want to use it, but I'm concerned because there are already rats living in the shed. I don't want to encourage them to invite their extended family to move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:37 AM

21,045 posts, read 33,049,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I need to start composting. The previous owner of our house left a compost bin behind the shed. I want to use it, but I'm concerned because there are already rats living in the shed. I don't want to encourage them to invite their extended family to move in.
I encourage you to do so, JPD...it made a huge difference in my garden when I started mulching with homemade compost. This is my composting guru:

https://issuu.com/pallensmith/docs/bonnie_compost

As for rats, my recommendation is to bring in a feral cat colony! In DeKalb County, you can register them as such; the county will pay for their spaying, so you don't have proliferation. We have two in the area, and rats haven't been a problem since they arrived.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I encourage you to do so, JPD...it made a huge difference in my garden when I started mulching with homemade compost. This is my composting guru:

As for rats, my recommendation is to bring in a feral cat colony! In DeKalb County, you can register them as such; the county will pay for their spaying, so you don't have proliferation. We have two in the area, and rats haven't been a problem since they arrived.
I will keep those things in mind. How would I get my hands on a feral cat colony? And does that raise concerns with the existing neighborhood cats?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM

1,146 posts, read 481,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

This is very interesting. I love cats, but when you say feral colony, I'm assuming this means multiple cats and the county even pays for it?

Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I will keep those things in mind. How would I get my hands on a feral cat colony? And does that raise concerns with the existing neighborhood cats?
To my knowledge, no. They aren't friendly, but they mind their own business. We have an army of Crazy Cat Ladies* in the hood (and don't tell me you don't; every neighborhood does) that look after them. Ours just started to appear; they were probably abandoned kittens.
There is a woman that has been taking care of a large colony in the patch of forest next to Northlake Mall. Maybe you can scarf a few of hers.

*No, I am not one of them.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is very interesting. I love cats, but when you say feral colony, I'm assuming this means multiple cats and the county even pays for it?
If you register them, the county will offer support for the maintenance of 'community cats'. It's less expensive than bearing the cost of trapping and euthanizing them, not to mention more humane.

https://lifelineanimal.org/outreach/catlanta

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 PM

243 posts, read 87,507 times
I recycle at the Sandy Springs center near Morgan Falls. Mmm, over the years I've really cut down on what I even have to recycle--- small things, like not putting fruits and vegetables in plastic bags to put into my reusable bags. So I mostly have glass to recycle, but that takes up an enormous amount of space and I do wonder if even my personal transportation of them undermines being environmentally friendly. I remember Austin having a few options to reuse glass bottles for things (a perk was also a discount for having a container) and I'd love to see that implemented everywhere in business plans. I'd love to plastic bags to not be a thing. My biggest concern is that areas with more food deserts might yield unintentionally more difficult-to-recycle objects, and wonder if Atlanta can affordably balance out its access to freshness. I stopped shopping in aisles years ago, and my volume of trash diminished quickly--- well, except I buy and reuse freezer bags for scraps to make things like broth or I buy material for composting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or