U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:10 PM

1,044 posts, read 805,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I wonder if the Democrats winning House races makes it harder for Vista Grove. They have been working both sides of the aisle, but their primary sponsor was Republican.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it's up to the county delegation of the proposed city in question to introduce enabling legislation. DeKalb's delegation to the General Assembly is all-Democratic now; Millar and Hanson lost reelection, plus the Dems picked up HD-79 (Tom Taylor's old district in Dunwoody).

I don't think the Dems are keen on entertaining the idea of creating new cities.

Also, Gov. Deal himself has called for the General Assembly to cool off and consider a different framework for incorporation and annexation. Maybe it's time to dust off the idea of townships?

- skbl17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 01:39 AM

5,459 posts, read 4,950,177 times
Default Despite Eagle’s Landing defeat, Stockbridge mayor presses court fight

Quote:
Despite defeating the Eagle’s Landing secession plan at the ballot box last week, Stockbridge Mayor Anthony Ford wants to continue the fight in court...

...Ford said he will ask the Stockbridge City Council this week to press forward with pending litigation that attacks the constitutionality of what Eagle’s Landing secession proponents were trying to do.
"Despite Eagle’s Landing defeat, Stockbridge mayor presses court fight" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...jvvSdd69GzywJ/

Old 11-13-2018, 10:27 AM
bu2

9,019 posts, read 5,736,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it's up to the county delegation of the proposed city in question to introduce enabling legislation. DeKalb's delegation to the General Assembly is all-Democratic now; Millar and Hanson lost reelection, plus the Dems picked up HD-79 (Tom Taylor's old district in Dunwoody).

I don't think the Dems are keen on entertaining the idea of creating new cities.

Also, Gov. Deal himself has called for the General Assembly to cool off and consider a different framework for incorporation and annexation. Maybe it's time to dust off the idea of townships?

- skbl17
They bypassed that rule last time. You need sponsors. Millar was their Senate sponsor. Don't remember who their House sponsor was, but I think it was a Democrat. But you are right. Dekalb county Democrats are very opposed to new cities in the county. However, Harold Mosby got beat as well, so the old guard might not have as much sway.

They already changed the rules. There is a 2 year period. Last year LaVista Grove got their bill introduced. They need to try to get it passed the second year. They have really made the odd years the years new cities, and to some extent annexation as well, get considered.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

3,183 posts, read 3,055,877 times
The results of the referendum both surprised and pleased me, to put it mildly.
But, in all of the election & post-election analysis, I had overlooked the fact that one of the sponsors of the push in the legislature to "interfere" in the municipal affairs of the city of Stockbridge was defeated in his bid for re-election as a part of the overall shrinkage of the gop delegation in the House chamber by a margin of 11 members!
Say good-bye to the defeated republican incumbent for House District 111, Geoff Cauble of Locust Grove, Ga.
Given his home location & constituency located well south of Stockbridge & the level of interfering chicanery & political maneuvering this effort involved, I'd label his defeat a case of karma kicking in!
Buh-bye Geoff!

Representative Geoff Cauble

Last edited by atler8; Today at 08:45 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or