U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2018, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,458 posts, read 7,261,125 times
Reputation: 4205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That is pretty much the way annexation happens everywhere, partly because development does not happen in a smooth manner and partly for financial reasons. Its definitely not ideal, but its hardly unique to Stockbridge. Decatur was trying to annex all the commercial property around them without any residents if they could help it. But their annexation bill got nowhere in the legislature. I think it was you mentioned Peachtree City grabbing commercial areas that made more sense elsewhere.

Stockbridge at least seems to have done it by mutual consent with the landowners, which was the landowners own self-determination.
Peachtree Corners..... I was clearly discussing Gwinnett....


Yes, I did say that and no I didn't support those exact borders. I said that too. Yes, I was alluding to the fact that their city hood movement was started up from fear of annexations into the area that had identified as Peacthree Corners.


Nonetheless, look at the borders of Peacthree Corners... it is far more cohesive and inclusive of the whole area. (You really need to take the time to start looking at all of these actual borders when responding. I'm giving you that much time and thought.) It was established through referendum following a local act in the legislature.





Annexations do not happen like what happened with Stockridge everywhere. Not nearly to the same extent and degree.



I have listed a variety of cities that have similar problems and a wide variety of cities that do not. There are plenty of cities around town that have cohesive borders with a small amount of annexed land at the periphery.



Stockbridge is particularly bad and many/most cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2018, 12:17 PM
bu2
 
8,974 posts, read 5,668,100 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Peachtree Corners..... I was clearly discussing Gwinnett....


Yes, I did say that and no I didn't support those exact borders. I said that too. Yes, I was alluding to the fact that their city hood movement was started up from fear of annexations into the area that had identified as Peacthree Corners.


Nonetheless, look at the borders of Peacthree Corners... it is far more cohesive and inclusive of the whole area. (You really need to take the time to start looking at all of these actual borders when responding. I'm giving you that much time and thought.) It was established through referendum following a local act in the legislature.





Annexations do not happen like what happened with Stockridge everywhere. Not nearly to the same extent and degree.



I have listed a variety of cities that have similar problems and a wide variety of cities that do not. There are plenty of cities around town that have cohesive borders with a small amount of annexed land at the periphery.



Stockbridge is particularly bad and many/most cities
If you would only learn to read and think you might actually understand my point!!!!

See, two can play at that game. I'm perfectly aware of Peachtree Corners (even though I typed Peachtree City instead).

Not everyone has the same opinion as you that this is a drastic problem. IMO you are blowing it WAY out of proportion as an issue. With South Fulton-that's really, really bad. Brookhaven extending over I-85 even though its not that bad a shape is a bigger issue. Peachtree Corners is an issue because those commercial areas should logically be part of its neighbors and supporting those populations. Stockbridge is fixable over time if they annex the developed residential areas. Peachtree Corners and South Fulton are not fixable without the legislature stepping in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 03:07 AM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,443 posts, read 2,820,110 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Here is the harsh reality....

These people never voted to be in Stockbridge, in fact the core residents in Stockbridge never voted to include them.

Stockbridge used petition based annexation procedures from large property owners from 2000-2018 to incorporate those areas. These areas are not a part of the traditional city of Stockbridge or the core of Stockbridge, but new development south of the original city.

They picked and chose what to include and went after high value properties.

They did this in an area that had a self-identification as an area. Businesses, churches, neighborhoods, roads etc... all identify as the area being Eagle's Landing both before, during, and after the annexations.

No one ever voted that originally.

These land grabs make it impossible for any new city to form. The annexations targeted the commercial heart of the area getting further and further away from the original center of Stockbridge.

All this was triggered in a systematic deal where a developer gets a few extra homes in every 10 acres, slightly more sq ft retail space, and an extra curb cut for drive thrus compared to county unincorporated policy. The city then collects the extra tax revenue, has extra expenses, but keeps most high value city-building projects near the old center of town.

Stockbridge grew from 3,300 in 1990 to 9,800 in 2000 to 25,000+ in 2010.

It was new suburban growth, but it was also very fast, aggressive annexation tactics.

In the end you have a checkerboard and there is no way for other citizens in unincorporated areas to form their own city and include the immediate adjacent commercial areas for inclusion to their tax digest.


So now if we take everyone's arguments in the most literal way all a city needs to do to block a self-identified area from forming a city is to quickly do a few core annexations in the middle of that area blocking key pieces of property that would be in the tax digest. All of which citizens never had a vote for to begin with.


To me this is the state going, there is a problem, here we will just let those people to decide in these new checker-board annexed areas to be their own city or stay the course with Stockbridge.


The whole issue is messy in both directions, but at least now the people who live in that whole contiguous area that has a self-identity get to vote one way or another.

Even for those of y'all who ultimately disagree with me, I hope you can at least understand and place some blame at what Stockbridge is/has been doing.



bu2,

difference of opinions aside, the passed bill allows for a vote of 17,000 people to become Eagle's landing. This only includes within the new proposed borders and includes 8000 unincorporated residents and 9000 current stockbridge residents. On the yes vote, the 9000 would be deannexed and included in the new city.


It also calls for a vote of another area of 3500 residents, including commercial area, to join Stockbridge mostly further west of the old city center along GA138. This is an effort to help Stockbridge maintain a cohesive control of the whole commercial strip close to their traditional city center.
What stops a proposed city of Lake Spivey claiming those areas on 138? Who gets to determine what areas are claimed to be apart of a certain community? This is what Iím afraid of. Thereís no system of determining whether or not a city is going to far in annexing a certain area. I donít think deannexing should become a standard practice until we fix the annexation laws that cause the issues in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,168 posts, read 3,034,803 times
Reputation: 3375
Here is a brand new warning shot from a credit rating agency that speaks to the potential can or worms or Pandora's Box that the legislature & Governor Deal have brought us in Georgia to the precipice of by virtue of the Stockbridge/Eagles Landing legislation they passed & he signed.
This specific type of potential downside for municipal credit ratings in Georgia was forewarned by some of the posters on this thread.
Oops!

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/georgia/r...edit/749936811
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2018, 09:52 AM
 
28 posts, read 22,721 times
Reputation: 44
Eagles Landing Balkanization :
"BOTTOM LINE - If a wealthy section of Stockbridge breaks away, it could take with it a big chunk of the tax base while leaving the city’s debts behind."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-break-away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,463 posts, read 4,115,736 times
Reputation: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I am shocked. I thought he was wiser than this. This will leave a lasting impact on the state and his legacy.

I cannot understand how someone could come to this decision.
Governor Deal probably signed the law to create Eagles Landing as a trade-off vote to get approval for one of his pet projects.

These sort of situations happen all the time.

Also after the Goldwater era...the Republican party ultimately is the party that unapologetically protects the elite wealthy. Moreso in the American south. So either way Deal's reputation isn't hurt.

He doesn't have to explain himself as his fallback is that he is a Republican.

Wealth protection is the Republican way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Historic West End
3,950 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Reputation: 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by RorMc View Post
Eagles Landing Balkanization :
"BOTTOM LINE - If a wealthy section of Stockbridge breaks away, it could take with it a big chunk of the tax base while leaving the city’s debts behind."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-break-away
Sounds very similar to Atlanta’s White flight to the suburbs during the 1960’s-70’s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,841 posts, read 1,255,280 times
Reputation: 1958
White flight? Maybe upper middle class flight: Eagles Landing will have a Black plurality (47%) Many Asians (mostly South Asians... Indians/ Pakistanis) and be under 40% White. Don't mislabel the situation.

I live very close to this area (really adjacent since the western boundary comes almost all the way to the Clayton County line here in the Lake Spivey community. Many that I have talked to (of all ethnic groups) resent the fact that Stockbridge keeps annexing and never has increased city services (the biggest complaint always seems to be the the lack of a city police department instead of the utilization of the already over overtaxed Henry County Police in the face of what most perceive as a growing crime problem) The former, nor current, government never seemed to care (save for a promised launch of a Stockbridge police department several years ago that never materialized). Another issue would be the odd "outcroppings" where the city "gobbled up" prime commercial property taking little, if any, residential, making it impossible for the remaining areas to have any hope of municipalizing since they lacked the needed tax base. Perhaps Stockbridge is suffering the consequences of their past annexations. I will admit some bias on this angle. Stockbridge aggressive policy of annexing of prime commercial corridors if effectively what killed the Lake Spivey city hood movement several years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2018, 08:55 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 1,571,310 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
For more than a decade, the Atlanta area has been dividing into ever smaller pieces segregated by race and class as cities are carved out from unincorporated county land. But the law signed in May could take the balkanization one step further
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-break-away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2018, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Valdosta (Atlanta Native)
3,443 posts, read 2,820,110 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
White flight? Maybe upper middle class flight: Eagles Landing will have a Black plurality (47%) Many Asians (mostly South Asians... Indians/ Pakistanis) and be under 40% White. Don't mislabel the situation.

I live very close to this area (really adjacent since the western boundary comes almost all the way to the Clayton County line here in the Lake Spivey community. Many that I have talked to (of all ethnic groups) resent the fact that Stockbridge keeps annexing and never has increased city services (the biggest complaint always seems to be the the lack of a city police department instead of the utilization of the already over overtaxed Henry County Police in the face of what most perceive as a growing crime problem) The former, nor current, government never seemed to care (save for a promised launch of a Stockbridge police department several years ago that never materialized). Another issue would be the odd "outcroppings" where the city "gobbled up" prime commercial property taking little, if any, residential, making it impossible for the remaining areas to have any hope of municipalizing since they lacked the needed tax base. Perhaps Stockbridge is suffering the consequences of their past annexations. I will admit some bias on this angle. Stockbridge aggressive policy of annexing of prime commercial corridors if effectively what killed the Lake Spivey city hood movement several years ago.
I understand the sentiment, thatís mostly why South Fulton exists, the cities were annexing all of the commercial land taking tax money away from residents. I still donít agree with taking a current part of a city though. Iíd be more accepting of the state creating a non partisan department or committee that makes these decisions on how to distribute commercial land throughout expanding cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top