Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:57 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

I see the dawn of a much-needed affluent corridor, with possible municipalization, in the Southeast Metro:

Eagle's Landing, GA
Lake Spivey, GA
Union Grove, GA
Ola, GA
Fairview, GA
Dutchtown, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Interesting, aries4118.

Eagles Landing and Lake Spivey = diverse and affluent

Fairview and Dutchtown = Middle to upper middle class and trending Black

Union Grove and Ola = middle to upper middle class and trending White

Would the "all inclusive THEY" say this is more balkanization?

Old 06-24-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Interesting, aries4118.

Eagles Landing and Lake Spivey = diverse and affluent

Fairview and Dutchtown = Middle to upper middle class and trending Black

Union Grove and Ola = middle to upper middle class and trending White

Would the "all inclusive THEY" say this is more balkanization?

The trends would happen with or without municipalization.

My reasoning is that Metro Atlanta's Southeast flank needs consistent/stable highly sought-after areas...just like the Southwest flank.

You think Union Grove and Ola are trending white?

Tell me more about Dutchtown...

Old 06-24-2018, 04:41 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The trends would happen with or without municipalization.

My reasoning is that Metro Atlanta's Southeast flank needs consistent/stable highly sought-after areas...just like the Southwest flank.

You think Union Grove and Ola are trending white?

Tell me more about Dutchtown...
Quote:
I see the dawn of a much-needed affluent corridor, with possible municipalization, in the Southeast Metro:

Eagle's Landing, GA
Lake Spivey, GA
Union Grove, GA
Ola, GA
Fairview, GA
Dutchtown, GA
I don't see where you're going with this.

When retailers and restaurants look at places to open new locations, they examine the demographics of a *TRADE AREA* (including income and density) within a certain radius as well as pass-through vehicle traffic. Furthermore, the quality of education and what tracts each school pulls its students from (thus one of the measures people use to determinewhere to settle with their families) is decided at the county level, not the local level.

Municipal boundaries in both jnstances are (or at least should be) irrelevant.

BTW, as far as being "highly-sought after", let's remember that Henry County continues to grow much faster rate than Coweta County (or the "Southwest flank"), despite Coweta having overall more favorable demographics. This is because Henry located along the much more highly traveled I-75 corridor and gets a lot more visibility from tourists and freight traffic traveling to/from places like the Savannah Port and Florida (the I-85 corridor doesn't really have any equivalent destinations along it). Henry has aslo been experiencing a retail/restaurant boom even without the balkanization you're proposing with places like Burlington, Floor & Decor, Smashburger, Fazoli's and even upscale places like Dave and Buster's as well as Miller's Ale House opening locations, while Coweta's sort of hit a dry spell in terms of new retailers / restaurants opening (I'm dead serious when I say only big commercial news in the past several years as been At Home finally coming to Newnan, which Henry County has had for a while now). Also, as a last point, much of the growth in Coweta that's not occurring in Newnan proper is taking places in unincorporated Coweta County without a Newnan address (or unincorporated Sharpsburg / Senoia). In fact, the wealthiest census tracts in Coweta are the unincorporated areas between Newnan and Palmetto along I-85 as well as the unincorporated areas bordering the Fayette County line on the eastern edge). There's been no need to create new municipalities or split existing ones.

Last edited by citidata18; 06-24-2018 at 04:55 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 07:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
A decade ago, Dutchtown reached near racial equilibrium as judged by their schools (half White; half Black/ Asian/ Hispanic mix) kind of like the Fairburn area (Creekside High district) after the consolidation of Palmetto and Campbell (Fairburn) High Schools in the early 1990's. Since the early to mid 2000's, however, this changed quickly, also like the Fairburn area, as the White enrollment dropped like a rock.

That said, the Dutchtown High feeder pattern (which stretched over wide swatched of "central-west" Henry County including the following communities: the slither of Lake Spivey's eastern shore that is in Henry County unlike the 97% that is in Clayton County, nicer swim and tennis communities on the southwestern edge of Stockbridge off of Walt Stephens and Jodeco Roads, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's vintage neighborhoods of various price points and conditions sandwiched between Jodeco Road and Jonesboro Road around the Henry Town Center shopping district off of Interstate 75, and some "semi-rural" areas on Henry County's western fringe with Clayton County's Lovejoy area.) is pretty solidly Middle Class with some neighborhoods also being solidly in the upper middle class category ($300,000 plus). Dutchtown High School is also FAR from being a "low performing" school and actually out performs most other Henry County High Schools, except Union Grove and maybe Ola. The Dutchtown cluster is also FAR more conveniently located than the Clusters along Henry County's "golden" Ga 155 corridor ( Woodland, Union Grove, Ola) on the far eastern fridge of the county. The Dutchtown cluster is adjacent to Interstate 75 and it includes one of the county's major shopping districts (Henry Town Center) and the forth coming Jodeco Station. And yes, before you ask, the northern axis of the Dutchtown Cluster, along Jodeco/ Lake Jodeco Road corridors west of I-75 and including the oft proposed Jodeco Station development WOULD fall into the proposed City of Eagles Landing.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I don't see where you're going with this.

When retailers and restaurants look at places to open new locations, they examine the demographics of a *TRADE AREA* (including income and density) within a certain radius as well as pass-through vehicle traffic. Furthermore, the quality of education and what tracts each school pulls its students from (thus one of the measures people use to determinewhere to settle with their families) is decided at the county level, not the local level.

Municipal boundaries in both jnstances are (or at least should be) irrelevant.

BTW, as far as being "highly-sought after", let's remember that Henry County continues to grow much faster rate than Coweta County (or the "Southwest flank"), despite Coweta having overall more favorable demographics. This is because Henry located along the much more highly traveled I-75 corridor and gets a lot more visibility from tourists and freight traffic traveling to/from places like the Savannah Port and Florida (the I-85 corridor doesn't really have any equivalent destinations along it). Henry has aslo been experiencing a retail/restaurant boom even without the balkanization you're proposing with places like Burlington, Floor & Decor, Smashburger, Fazoli's and even upscale places like Dave and Buster's as well as Miller's Ale House opening locations, while Coweta's sort of hit a dry spell in terms of new retailers / restaurants opening (I'm dead serious when I say only big commercial news in the past several years as been At Home finally coming to Newnan, which Henry County has had for a while now). Also, as a last point, much of the growth in Coweta that's not occurring in Newnan proper is taking places in unincorporated Coweta County without a Newnan address (or unincorporated Sharpsburg / Senoia). In fact, the wealthiest census tracts in Coweta are the unincorporated areas between Newnan and Palmetto along I-85 as well as the unincorporated areas bordering the Fayette County line on the eastern edge). There's been no need to create new municipalities or split existing ones.
The challenge that Newnan and Coweta County as a whole faces is its close proximity to Peachtree City. There are all of the high end shops and restaurants at The Avenue Peachtree City (Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor, etc.) and those retailers are not going to locate more stores just down the road in Newnan.

The Ashley Park shopping center itself is pretty strong with Best Buy and Dillard's, so when you take into consideration both shopping centers, there is more high end retail and restaurant options in the Newnan and Peachtree City area than the I-75 South - Henry County area. I think that overall, Dillard's carries more high end brands than Macy's does and that is the reason that I make that comment.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
The challenge that Newnan and Coweta County as a whole faces is its close proximity to Peachtree City. There are all of the high end shops and restaurants at The Avenue Peachtree City (Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor, etc.) and those retailers are not going to locate more stores just down the road in Newnan.

The Ashley Park shopping center itself is pretty strong with Best Buy and Dillard's, so when you take into consideration both shopping centers, there is more high end retail and restaurant options in the Newnan and Peachtree City area than the I-75 South - Henry County area. I think that overall, Dillard's carries more high end brands than Macy's does and that is the reason that I make that comment.
I get what you're saying. But that's not my point.

Henry County is the fastest growing county in Metro Atlanta besides Forsyth County (and *MAYBE* Cherokee County) and one of the top 50 or 100 fastest growing counties in the US as of 2017. Furthermore, outside of Avalon in Alpharetta and The Battery in Cumberland, The Jonesboro Road and Highway 20 corridors in McDonough has been experiencing the most explosive commercial development in the enture region with places that previously only located north of Atlanta (just a few years ago, the vast majority of those parcels were empty and have since all been built on and filled). There's nothing equivalent to that type of growth happening right now in Coweta / Peachtree City, and other than not having Dillard's (but, as you mentioned, they do have Macy's) or BJ's, there's nothing in Coweta County / PTC that Henry County won't soon be getting or doesn't already have (BTW, Coweta also doesn't have the Outlet stores that they do in Henry County either).

Despite what the poster seemed to imply earlier, Henry County seems pretty damn highly sought after by commercial and residential interests alike if you ask me without the additional balkanization they're proposing, and is definitely the most highly sought-after of all of the southside suburbs / counties.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 AM

As far as the annexation discussion, I think too much blame is being unreasonably directed at the municipalities.

As the saying goes, it takes two to tango. Usually, how you end up with these crazy city borders in rapidly growing (but formerly undeveloped) suburbs/exurbs is that developers request to have land they own annexed by a municipality. Usually, it's because the developmemt costs will be cheaper (much lower impact fees, less strict building codes, etc.).

Now, could these municipalities theoretically deny a developer's annexation request? Sure. But if you were an elected leader, would you really want to go on record turning away more tax revenue and residents that will improve the community's economic health and demographics?

And apparently, under Georgia's state law, there's nothing counties can do to stop annexation requests once a municipality has approved them.

Last edited by citidata18; 06-25-2018 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
A decade ago, Dutchtown reached near racial equilibrium as judged by their schools (half White; half Black/ Asian/ Hispanic mix) kind of like the Fairburn area (Creekside High district) after the consolidation of Palmetto and Campbell (Fairburn) High Schools in the early 1990's. Since the early to mid 2000's, however, this changed quickly, also like the Fairburn area, as the White enrollment dropped like a rock.

That said, the Dutchtown High feeder pattern (which stretched over wide swatched of "central-west" Henry County including the following communities: the slither of Lake Spivey's eastern shore that is in Henry County unlike the 97% that is in Clayton County, nicer swim and tennis communities on the southwestern edge of Stockbridge off of Walt Stephens and Jodeco Roads, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's vintage neighborhoods of various price points and conditions sandwiched between Jodeco Road and Jonesboro Road around the Henry Town Center shopping district off of Interstate 75, and some "semi-rural" areas on Henry County's western fringe with Clayton County's Lovejoy area.) is pretty solidly Middle Class with some neighborhoods also being solidly in the upper middle class category ($300,000 plus). Dutchtown High School is also FAR from being a "low performing" school and actually out performs most other Henry County High Schools, except Union Grove and maybe Ola. The Dutchtown cluster is also FAR more conveniently located than the Clusters along Henry County's "golden" Ga 155 corridor ( Woodland, Union Grove, Ola) on the far eastern fridge of the county. The Dutchtown cluster is adjacent to Interstate 75 and it includes one of the county's major shopping districts (Henry Town Center) and the forth coming Jodeco Station. And yes, before you ask, the northern axis of the Dutchtown Cluster, along Jodeco/ Lake Jodeco Road corridors west of I-75 and including the oft proposed Jodeco Station development WOULD fall into the proposed City of Eagles Landing.
Interesting. Thank you for posting.

It seems like Dutchtown is another "well-kept" secret in Metro Atlanta. Even though I also think the GA 155 "golden corridor" is also a well-kept secret.

Dutchtown is like the Sprayberry of Henry County (though the racial demographics of Sprayberry are very different).

Old 06-25-2018, 04:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:

Eagle's Landing, GA
Lake Spivey, GA
Union Grove, GA
Ola, GA
Fairview, GA
Dutchtown, GA
I think Fairview should be the city of Ellenwood (what it's zipcode already is) and include areas of Dekalb and Clayton like the original proposal. Dutchtown can be split up between Lake Spivey, Eagles Landing, and Mcdonough. Everything else makes sense as long as the boundaries are drawn right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta