U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 PM

7,712 posts, read 9,565,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There are plenty of folks out in the country and the small towns with big money.
Yeah, but they're usually people who made money doing something and they're living off the savings.

You have to have A LOT of money to generate an annual income of $1 million or more. That's not having money, that's MAKING money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 AM

702 posts, read 323,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Maybe it's a wealthy white collar criminal that was banished there.

From wikipedia:

"Echols County has become notable in recent years as it has served as a place of banishment for many of Georgia's criminals. As the Georgia State Constitution forbids banishment beyond the borders of the state, officials instead ban the offender from 158 of Georgia's 159 counties, with Echols remaining as their only option.[4] Few criminals have been documented as actually moving to Echols.[5] This is because almost all banished criminals choose to leave the state instead of moving to Echols County.[6]"

Even banished criminals don't want to live there.
This has made my day.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 AM

9,582 posts, read 8,658,435 times
Wait - So a court can ban you from living in a certain municipal or county jurisdiction???? Really????

Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM

544 posts, read 322,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Wait - So a court can ban you from living in a certain municipal or county jurisdiction???? Really????
I know. I never knew Georgia had a law in 2018 that allows you to banish people. What is this, "Game of Thrones"?

Old 05-10-2018, 11:04 AM

1,140 posts, read 479,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I know. I never knew Georgia had a law in 2018 that allows you to banish people. What is this, "Game of Thrones"?
Well... it would make for one heck of a hillarious court case.

"I sentence you -- BANISHED to Echols County!"

---

On par with the thread, the wages paid Atlanta were becoming very troublesome for me and even for educated folks as rarely were they on par with the cost of living (especially in areas where job sites are located, Sandy Springs / Dunwoody / Alpharetta / and in many cases even Downtown) which in my opinion is a BIG reason there are so many commuters and in some cases "Super Commuters". $45 - 50K seems to be the barrier where it becomes exponentially more difficult to receive a higher salary, EVEN IF you're more than qualified for it. I for example am a Network Engineer yet both Hewlett Packard and Cisco only offered $55k and wanted CCNA / CCNP level of skills (currently I'm making alittle over twice that much). UPS and NCR Network Engineering positions only at $40k (which I find ridiculous). Also another issue (which I feel is more so becoming a trend in corporate America rather than just Atlanta) is you can pretty much forget about promotions after you accept and agree to a specific salary. It seems to be cheaper and easier for them to find another candidate outside of the organization, and have them do a higher tier role cheaper than it would be to promote someone who knows the ropes and knows the true value of the position.

I don't think this issue is prone to "just Atlanta" - I just think Atlanta's neutral stance toward it just makes the issue stand out more. The fun and tricky part was when I was looking into moving into California, $90 - $120k sounds sweet... ...until you find the average house on par with a $250k home in Atlanta metro ...costs a bit over $1 million without exaggerating. Then you can also look into other metro's and find either the job market isnt strong enough, or the area is just too undesirable (Chicago's a nice place to visit but there's no way I could live there, although I've been offered very nice salaries there, same for New York, Philadelphia, any place in Jersey, Washington D.C. -- I had an opportunity to work out of those areas as well and the salaries would have been great but I just could not live there..)...

Sometimes I think employers in Atlanta feel that because Georgia is such a desirable place to live (Trust me, coming from up north Atlanta is a dream world) they feel you'll accept wheat bread and water just to stay there.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
DeKalb used to have a judge who was known for banishing people.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:51 PM

9,582 posts, read 8,658,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
DeKalb used to have a judge who was known for banishing people.
Wow. I just had no idea that the law allowed this. Could be a new Hollywood blockbuster: "Escape from Echols County".

Old 05-10-2018, 01:37 PM
bu2

9,014 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are plenty of folks out in the country and the small towns with big money.
Farmers. Maybe Doctors.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 PM
bu2

9,014 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Atlanta MSA isn't too bad at #112. That's out of 916, but at a quick glance, most major cities are top 100 and virtually all cities of significance are top 200. Below that is smaller areas like Cleveland, Tennessee.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:15 PM

28,178 posts, read 24,730,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Farmers. Maybe Doctors.
Fertilizer and farm equipment sales, auto and truck dealers, bankers, prominent lawyers, property and timber magnates, higher-ups in manufacturing companies, big wheels in the insurance biz, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or