U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 05:08 PM
bu2

9,010 posts, read 5,720,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Fertilizer and farm equipment sales, auto and truck dealers, bankers, prominent lawyers, property and timber magnates, higher-ups in manufacturing companies, big wheels in the insurance biz, etc.
Auto dealers can be very wealthy. Look at how many professional sports owners made their money from dealerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 PM

613 posts, read 202,388 times
I made a post about homelessness and it was deleted for whatever reason

But this lines up with exactly what I said in my post.

Seattle is a perfect example of what can happen in Atlanta 10 years from now. The rapid development is good but that also comes with a drastic rising cost in housing, cost of living and congestion.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...w-report-says/

Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 PM

1,146 posts, read 482,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I made a post about homelessness and it was deleted for whatever reason

But this lines up with exactly what I said in my post.

Seattle is a perfect example of what can happen in Atlanta 10 years from now. The rapid development is good but that also comes with a drastic rising cost in housing, cost of living and congestion.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...w-report-says/
Ehh... possible...but its a long stretch by a pretty good margin.

I used to live in Seattle and Seattle has long out-priced Atlanta's COL, its definitely nothing new.

The building style, housing, living style between Atlanta and Seattle are apples and oranges as well.

In Atlanta we have alot more single family homes, ALOT more acres per yard, less apartments / condo living (although that is changing)

Seattle differs from Atlanta in several aspects

There is alot less room to build as they are surrounded by several geographic barriers which inhibit transportation infrastructure. These same geographic barreirs also just rocket the land values through the roof meaning cost per acre is much higher than it is here thus even base house for base house, Seattle will always be more expensive. The Pugeut Sound area of which Seattle is based also happens to be a highly sought area due to the scenery alone where as Atlanta definitely has an advantage over most of the country with its heavy forestry, the Pugeut sound is still on an altogether different level than what we have in our metro in terms of nature. Then on top of that, Seattle is receiving its most recent growth influx from Californians (especially San Franciscans) fleeing a MUCH higher COL which is inadvertantly influencing the COL, as many from California can buy property in Seattle cash after selling their own property in California which currently holds the nations highest cost of living, beating out even NYC.

NOW, by this, I do not mean Atlanta isn't going to become expensive...it definitely will... I personally...however.. do not realistically see it surpassing Miami as far as Cost of Living (which is currently twice that of Atlanta's) unless something radical happens.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 AM

613 posts, read 202,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Ehh... possible...but its a long stretch by a pretty good margin.

I used to live in Seattle and Seattle has long out-priced Atlanta's COL, its definitely nothing new.

The building style, housing, living style between Atlanta and Seattle are apples and oranges as well.

In Atlanta we have alot more single family homes, ALOT more acres per yard, less apartments / condo living (although that is changing)

Seattle differs from Atlanta in several aspects

There is alot less room to build as they are surrounded by several geographic barriers which inhibit transportation infrastructure. These same geographic barreirs also just rocket the land values through the roof meaning cost per acre is much higher than it is here thus even base house for base house, Seattle will always be more expensive. The Pugeut Sound area of which Seattle is based also happens to be a highly sought area due to the scenery alone where as Atlanta definitely has an advantage over most of the country with its heavy forestry, the Pugeut sound is still on an altogether different level than what we have in our metro in terms of nature. Then on top of that, Seattle is receiving its most recent growth influx from Californians (especially San Franciscans) fleeing a MUCH higher COL which is inadvertantly influencing the COL, as many from California can buy property in Seattle cash after selling their own property in California which currently holds the nations highest cost of living, beating out even NYC.

NOW, by this, I do not mean Atlanta isn't going to become expensive...it definitely will... I personally...however.. do not realistically see it surpassing Miami as far as Cost of Living (which is currently twice that of Atlanta's) unless something radical happens.
I wouldnít compare atl to Miami, not even in the near future. Miami is a coastal destination, they benefit from having the beaches. Many people have vacation homes there, their higher end real estate market is mostly part time homes for buyers. Economic wise, it is completely different from ATL. Like you said itís more condo living compared to ATL which has mostly single family homes.

I guess we can compare ATL to more of a Houston or dallas maybe Charlotte. But the impending issue I see as development booms is the lack of multi family homes. The lack of Single family homes below 500k in pricing is going to have a ripple effect when the average income is 40k. Condos and rentals are also rising in pricing due to demand in prime areas. California is just as spread out as atl if not more and the reason they have s huge homeless and affordability problem now is due to a lack of multi family housing and refusing to rezone to build higher.

As small cities become more ďhappeningĒ and growth occurs, the city doesnít just take in the rich moving from Cali or nyc. They will start taking the lower middle to poor class as well, that canít afford current housing in those same cities. No developing city is exempt from that happening unless they actively make changes now. Once it happens itís impossible to reverse without throwing money at it.

Thatís why Iím intrigued on what plans are in place (building affordable housing, shelters etc) or if people are just naive enough to think it canít happen

Old 05-11-2018, 09:16 AM

1,146 posts, read 482,922 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t compare atl to Miami, not even in the near future. Miami is a coastal destination, they benefit from having the beaches. Many people have vacation homes there, their higher end real estate market is mostly part time homes for buyers. Economic wise, it is completely different from ATL. Like you said it’s more condo living compared to ATL which has mostly single family homes.

I guess we can compare ATL to more of a Houston or dallas maybe Charlotte. But the impending issue I see as development booms is the lack of multi family homes. The lack of Single family homes below 500k in pricing is going to have a ripple effect when the average income is 40k. Condos and rentals are also rising in pricing due to demand in prime areas. California is just as spread out as atl if not more and the reason they have s huge homeless and affordability problem now is due to a lack of multi family housing and refusing to rezone to build higher.

As small cities become more “happening” and growth occurs, the city doesn’t just take in the rich moving from Cali or nyc. They will start taking the lower middle to poor class as well, that can’t afford current housing in those same cities. No developing city is exempt from that happening unless they actively make changes now. Once it happens it’s impossible to reverse without throwing money at it.

That’s why I’m intrigued on what plans are in place (building affordable housing, shelters etc) or if people are just naive enough to think it can’t happen
I personally am beginning to wonder if we are approaching the end of the booms of single family home constructions - or atleast.. not for the masses. I believe pretty soon it's going to shift to a more dense lifestyle (apartments, townhomes, condo's, ect) and I believe that the homes that with more yards / acres will be priced out more for the wealthy, especially newer constructions.

The reason I am pondering this may be the future is the massive waste of land use single family homes sprouting up (sprawl) around the entire metro and the threat it poses to available space, traffic, resources, and so forth.

I could very well be entirely wrong... but even here in Austin TX where I currently am there is tons of room to build yet housing prices are over the roof, now alot of that (infact probably most of that) is likely because of "Californification" and alot of wealthy buyers in the market, but even with that... with the demand in Atlanta.. I wouldn't be so sure that an influx of available housing would quickly drop the cost of housing, infact..likely..I don't believe Atlanta metro would be capable of currently building enough homes to meet the demands... what we would likely get instead is masses of subdivisions sprawled well into the exurbs or basically... a super metro with a massacre of traffic...Quite possibly those homes in the Exburbs will be fairly affordable, but the homes in town (anything from Lawrenceville, Kennsesaw, Douglassville, Fayetteville, Newnan, Conyers, Grayson and closer) might become even MORE expensive, due to the residents in the newly affordable homes way out now realizing how difficult it is to commute, and wanting to move closer to work.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:33 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,999,178 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t compare atl to Miami, not even in the near future. Miami is a coastal destination, they benefit from having the beaches. Many people have vacation homes there, their higher end real estate market is mostly part time homes for buyers. Economic wise, it is completely different from ATL. Like you said it’s more condo living compared to ATL which has mostly single family homes.

As small cities become more “happening” and growth occurs, the city doesn’t just take in the rich moving from Cali or nyc. They will start taking the lower middle to poor class as well, that can’t afford current housing in those same cities. No developing city is exempt from that happening unless they actively make changes now. Once it happens it’s impossible to reverse without throwing money at it.

That’s why I’m intrigued on what plans are in place (building affordable housing, shelters etc) or if people are just naive enough to think it can’t happen
Out West the cities are surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of miles of unpopulated desert.

The homeless population congregates to one of about 5 cities on the entire West Coast.

Atlanta is a totally different situation, with cities and towns of all sizes blanketing the Southeast every 20 miles or so..

It has been a magnet for homeless who happen to be Black, but Atlanta is the de facto Capital for Southern and American Blacks and this is their city.

Amazon could disrupt an area of Atlanta, but I don't think it would stand out with so much other stuff going on.

$500k homes are an issue for in-town Atlanta, but as it becomes cost-prohibitive, the suburbs are decaying and getting less expensive.

Drive around Gwinnett Place, Beaver Ruin and Satellite Blvd, and what were new homes in new suburbs 25 years ago, are falling apart.

Seattle was built on totally different ideals and different physical conditions. Their inaction on road planning & construction is worse than here.

So most of Seattle's problems today are the combined result of homeless from all over the Pacific NW congregating to the one city other than Portland...

...Natural barriers that constrict the city, and little appetite for building roads to meet demand.

Housing on the entire West Coast defies explanation when the "starter" homes that they are paying $700K-$1.3million for are very unsophisticated structures without attics, without substantial insulation or airtightness.

Much of the stucco exterior on houses out there is applied on regular chicken-wire.

We do need some micro unit apartments and condos here though, because that could be affordable and still be close in-town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or