U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of Greenhaven
No to Greenhaven 10 55.56%
Wait for more studies 2 11.11%
Annex into another City 7 38.89%
Yes to Greenhaven 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM

7,075 posts, read 9,827,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Texas has 248 counties to Georgia's 159. That said, Texas's size means that the average size of Texas counties is larger than Georgia's and counties there are not responsible for stuff like schools.

- skbl17
That a state 4 times the size of Georgia has more counties is no surprise, but not 4 times the counties... more like only 60% more counties. That Georgia is like the 21st state in land area but 2nd in number of counties shows that the system is out of balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 06:31 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,522,288 times
I know Kathryn Rice, professionally. She has been toiling with this idea for years now. Most people whom know her professionally have said this is a BAD IDEA. The unincorporated areas of DeKalb County are in state of a mess.

However, since I can say this with reassurance, Atlanta will be annexing most of the viable areas in the near future for sure. Also Stonecrest, Stone Mountain, Clarkston, and Tucker will be doing the same in the areas between their areas. It's doubtful it will receive the traction needed to pass out of the Dekalb County delegation in the Georgia House. Rep. Mosby is the head of the Dekalb delegation, also brother of the Atlanta Councilmember Natalyn Mosby-Archibong, so he will assume his sister's district will get bigger before he leaves the Georgia House.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 AM

60 posts, read 40,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I know Kathryn Rice, professionally. She has been toiling with this idea for years now. Most people whom know her professionally have said this is a BAD IDEA. The unincorporated areas of DeKalb County are in state of a mess.

However, since I can say this with reassurance, Atlanta will be annexing most of the viable areas in the near future for sure. Also Stonecrest, Stone Mountain, Clarkston, and Tucker will be doing the same in the areas between their areas. It's doubtful it will receive the traction needed to pass out of the Dekalb County delegation in the Georgia House. Rep. Mosby is the head of the Dekalb delegation, also brother of the Atlanta Councilmember Natalyn Mosby-Archibong, so he will assume his sister's district will get bigger before he leaves the Georgia House.
So what evidence do you have that Atlanta will be annexed? DeKalb legislators whose district straddles DeKalb and Atlanta aren't going to side with one side or the other so Atlanta has no political power nor I believe, will to do so. You have many white millenials in that area that are using Greenhaven as an excuse to annex themselves, block by block, into Atlanta. Whole area annexation won't occur according to Rep. Bee Nguyen. Blacks in the area are strongly against based on the many meeting I've attended on Greenhaven and last year when Mosby offered to bring a bill to annex this area into Atlanta. Black senior turnout was huge. I think that really may have hurt him in this election. Speak of which...

Howard Mosby just got booted out of office in an overwhelming majority by Becky Evans thanks to a coalition of white women called New Power Pac a Coalition of (white?) woman. Howard Mosby was a strong advocate against Greenhaven and Becky is doing that wishy washy politician thing where she doesn't say one or the other. I hope she doesn't, but I hated to see a good politician area taken over with someone who basically has the exact same policies, what do all of gain?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM

277 posts, read 106,485 times
It has to be more complicated than that.

If I lived within a mile of East Atlanta Village, and my property value was trash, my police and EMT services were trash, and my schools were trash, I would damned sure make more demands to reach the comparable standards of living as folks across the smallest pond. Maybe it's not an excuse but a demand. And the piecemeal annexing sounds to me that Black seniors definitely have the negotiating power in the community, which they should, not because they are Black but because they've lived on this land and in these homes for decades when the territory could have just become another semitruck backyard. But at the same time, any community that is becoming younger is bound to face this stuff and I don't blame them for being skeptical by anyone's intentions. In my e-mailing and calling of reps against Greenhaven, it became clear to me very quickly that it was mostly the Gresham could-have-been-EAV-area that was vociferously against Greenhaven and pro-annexation, never just against Greenhaven.

Greenhaven's certainly not going anywhere until the coffers and forecast development properties empty or go stale. And Gresham's having a ton of huge, new housing communities with homes almost as expensive as EAV a year ago or even Kirkwood or even more (there are some 400k homes in Gresham!!). You get a home built in under a year with a garage, and I would doubt any of these appraise per price if they didn't build multiple units in these large housing enclaves. Some people are buying and praying they eventually become a part of Atlanta, but most of the families certainly aren't putting their kids into any of the local schools. And things will just intensify post-November with an Eagle's Landing decision.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:03 PM

I don’t understand the point of your post. There is nowhere in Gresham that is like that that isn’t changing. If you annex into City of Atlanta the schools are no better than those in DeKalb and talk of annexation didn’t start until this year as the Greenhaven mess gained a financial benefactor.
If you’ll note the increased property values are occurring in unincorporated DeKalb, so you don’t need COA for that. If Kathryn Rice and greenhaven were to be arrested and put away for life talk of annexation would immediately stop.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 AM

Not sure what you don't get. It's a post with additional context.

Your kids must not be in south Dekalb schools then. Annexation talk has always been in the air years ago when Greenhaven even became a thing. Black seniors have been resistant since. Are you new to the area? Are you aware that some housing cul de sacs literally halted development right after Greenhaven failed? Housing prices are what they are because of real estate bets on its possible annexation into the city. After home searching they seem to have a noticeable turnover, maybe people realize too late that Atl in the address doesn't mean you live there. Take my reply however you feel, I never intended any kind of argument, my posting history indicates I stand behind you, I only replied to add more context to the racial politics of the area that was loudest in its Greenhaven resistance. It's limbo territory.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:19 PM

No kids, but have friends in administration and teachers in both COA and DeKalb and City of Decatur school systems. It’s the families feeding into the schools. Decatur schools, in and of themselves, are not that great. High income parents with resources are what makes Decatur school. Ask any Decatur teacher and off the record will tell you so.

What subdivisions stopped? If it’s the ones I think you’re referring to they stopped because one of the partners was stealing funds and the banks pulled their loans. Owners weren’t even aware of Greenhaven. Atlanta has areas that are in the city and areas in unincorporated DeKalb, both with subpar schools, so value of residential is based on location and amenities. Ask any real estate agent.

Debating and having a difference of opinion is not arguing. If I don’t agree and have opinions based on facts doesn’t mean we can’t be civil.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:49 PM

13,164 posts, read 21,491,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinFool View Post
No kids, but have friends in administration and teachers in both COA and DeKalb and City of Decatur school systems. Itís the families feeding into the schools. Decatur schools, in and of themselves, are not that great. High income parents with resources are what makes Decatur school. Ask any Decatur teacher and off the record will tell you so.

What subdivisions stopped? If itís the ones I think youíre referring to they stopped because one of the partners was stealing funds and the banks pulled their loans. Owners werenít even aware of Greenhaven. Atlanta has areas that are in the city and areas in unincorporated DeKalb, both with subpar schools, so value of residential is based on location and amenities. Ask any real estate agent.

Debating and having a difference of opinion is not arguing. If I donít agree and have opinions based on facts doesnít mean we canít be civil.

Teachers strive to get a job in the City Schools of Decatur (CSD). What are these teachers saying about CSD?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinFool View Post
Debating and having a difference of opinion is not arguing. If I don’t agree and have opinions based on facts doesn’t mean we can’t be civil.
Well, I can't control whatever you're feeling but it's been all gravy over here.

Quote:
No kids, but have friends in administration and teachers in both COA and DeKalb and City of Decatur school systems. It’s the families feeding into the schools. Decatur schools, in and of themselves, are not that great. High income parents with resources are what makes Decatur school. Ask any Decatur teacher and off the record will tell you so.
Zoned schools for Gresham Park are under-enrolled, many parents bus their kids up to North Dekalb schools that accommodate them but are bustling through added trailers. People in EAV, the area I've been speaking about, put their kids in private school or the very well-rated charters that families in Gresham miss out on. So, that's just more on my point about Gresham families missing out on some quality things in close proximity, or, wanting to readjust geography in a way to diversify schools like McNair cluster not just by race but also by income.

Went to APS myself. After the whole cheating scandal, some APS schools are moving upward. No South Dekalb school is meeting many earmarks but to my understanding that type of qualitative change takes some time. McNair cluster has been a troubled cluster for as long as I remember. I call myself old now.

Quote:
What subdivisions stopped? If it’s the ones I think you’re referring to they stopped because one of the partners was stealing funds and the banks pulled their loans. Owners weren’t even aware of Greenhaven. Atlanta has areas that are in the city and areas in unincorporated DeKalb, both with subpar schools, so value of residential is based on location and amenities. Ask any real estate agent.
Sounds like there's another place then. Because, as I was on the housing market until recently, a particular builder in unincorporated Dekalb had a major investor withdraw support and the company hasn't rebounded since. In fact, I am not sure they have a license to work with as they restructure; some folk kept their contracts because time's not an issue but most folk cancelled.

This said, I look forward to other people contributing responses to your thread.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:01 PM

28,698 posts, read 25,494,330 times
One thing about Greenhaven is that it will get the county of the municipal services business and hopefully eliminate another layer of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta