U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,042,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
About 2 years ago, I've had a racist encounter with the co-owner of a very popular coffee shop which is one of the reasons I dislike Columbus and am saving up money to move back to Metro Atlanta.
Columbus is very racist. Here in Metro Atlanta I still experience a lot of racism. Today I was working and after this white male saw me, he checked his back pocket to see if his wallet was still there. The other day, I was at a store where a white male thought it was okay to flick my receipt to me. Not going to frequent that store any longer. Even towards dating, I notice a lot of racism where many races will put on their profile, "only white," "only white, Latino," etc. Even some people who are black do this! I'm not saying that racism isn't everywhere in the U.S. and that it's not a global thing, but it's so bad here that it's one of the main reasons I'm definitely considering moving out of Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:12 PM

362 posts, read 159,821 times
Being rude to black people doesn't mean it's racism. Some people are just rude people.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:23 AM

3,966 posts, read 4,560,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Columbus is very racist. Here in Metro Atlanta I still experience a lot of racism. Today I was working and after this white male saw me, he checked his back pocket to see if his wallet was still there. The other day, I was at a store where a white male thought it was okay to flick my receipt to me. Not going to frequent that store any longer. Even towards dating, I notice a lot of racism where many races will put on their profile, "only white," "only white, Latino," etc. Even some people who are black do this! I'm not saying that racism isn't everywhere in the U.S. and that it's not a global thing, but it's so bad here that it's one of the main reasons I'm definitely considering moving out of Georgia.
this is why i have a hard time answering the OP's question. i live in alpharetta which just had the incident the other day of pulling over the 65 year old woman and basically assaulting and arresting her because she was black. i know that the police are bad up here because they have everybody pulled over all the time, but because i'm white i've never had an issue. so i can't be a good judge, as a person who doesn't experience racism from the police or neighbors, as to whether or not somewhere like forsyth county is safe to live for a PoC. and it's not exactly clear on here who's answering, a lot of ppl seem to be saying it's fine but if it's coming from ppl who don't experience racism anywhere, that's not really good advice.

it may not be KKK land anymore but i haven't had a positive conversation about forsyth with any of my friends who are PoC.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:03 AM

5,378 posts, read 4,895,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
this is why i have a hard time answering the OP's question. i live in alpharetta which just had the incident the other day of pulling over the 65 year old woman and basically assaulting and arresting her because she was black. i know that the police are bad up here because they have everybody pulled over all the time, but because i'm white i've never had an issue. so i can't be a good judge, as a person who doesn't experience racism from the police or neighbors, as to whether or not somewhere like forsyth county is safe to live for a PoC. and it's not exactly clear on here who's answering, a lot of ppl seem to be saying it's fine but if it's coming from ppl who don't experience racism anywhere, that's not really good advice.

it may not be KKK land anymore but i haven't had a positive conversation about forsyth with any of my friends who are PoC.
Those are excellent points. But the OP seems to asking if they would face racism during a visit to Forsyth County, and does not necessarily seem to be inquiring about a move to Forsyth County at present.

The exploding Asian population in Forsyth County (along with an apparently fast-growing Hispanic population, and the modest, but notable, presence of African-American residents in the county) seems to reflect that the county seems to be accommodating enough for people of color to currently make up at least about 26% of the county's population.

Again, that is not to say that there are no racists or that there is not any racism in Forsyth County.

But the kind of blatant, virulent, in-your-face racism that was a central feature of much of the county's past history and reputation does not seem to be a central feature of life in the county today.

I do not know why the OP is asking if they would experience racism during a visit to Forsyth County... But if the OP does not think that they would be comfortable visiting a community like Forsyth County because of its history and past reputation of being virulently racist towards black people, then maybe the OP should not visit Forsyth County if they do not have to... At least until they find out more about the county on their own that might would make them more comfortable visiting there.

Many African-Americans, especially those who might be familiar with Forsyth County's extremely negative past history of racism, are not comfortable with the idea of visiting (much less living in) Forsyth County.

Though, there are some African-Americans who do not seem to fear Forsyth County's negative past history and reputation.

I think that at least one of the cast members of the notable Atlanta-based reality television show "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" lives in Forsyth County with her family in the upscale Saint Marlo Country Club gated golf community.

Some black people, particularly black people who might live an affluent existence, seem to do well in Forsyth County.

Though, because of its extremely racist past history and reputation, Forsyth County (even with all of its positive changes over the past 30 years) is not a community that is going to be appealing to every African-American individual... And Forsyth County does not have to be appealing to every African-American individual or every individual of any race or ethnicity.

Metro Atlanta has more than enough tourist and living options that one can have plenty of positive and/or appealing experiences without having to step foot in a jurisdiction like Forsyth County if they do not want to.

Unless there is something that is specifically job related that would require them to step foot in the county, or some close family and/or friends live in the county that they would be visiting with on a frequent basis, the OP does not have to go to Forsyth County if they do not want to.

There is so much to do and experience in the rest of metro Atlanta that the OP likely would not be missing much if they did not feel comfortable visiting Forsyth County.

Though, I still maintain that fear of experiencing racism during a potential visit to Forsyth County more than likely is not something that the OP should be losing sleep over.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 AM

1,137 posts, read 474,856 times
Quote:

This is interesting.

I am African American as well and I worked in Alpharetta and frequently passed cops on GA-400 -- never had an issue. Later still I was transitioned to night shift and would frequent the Racetrac at the intersection of Old Milton Pkwy & Westside Pkwy around 3am for coffee. Place would usually be filled with cops and admittedly yes I was a bit nervous but they never bothered, harrased me. Sometimes would even hold a door open for me. Later still at those same hours when I went on my lunch break I frequented Westside Pkwy, Winward Pkwy, or Haynes Bridge Rd when looking for something to eat and the place is very well patroled during the night but even driving by them .. never got pulled over.. of course, I never did anything attempting to provoke them either though, during the night I am actually more speed conscious and driving aware than during the day. Anyhow, while Alpharetta is no Gwinnett County, it certainly isn't dominantly white anymore either..its pretty diverse up there. I could comfortably see myself living in Alpharetta.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:22 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,739,245 times
I would visit the area but I sure as hell wouldn't buy property in the county.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:41 AM

3,966 posts, read 4,560,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is interesting.

I am African American as well and I worked in Alpharetta and frequently passed cops on GA-400 -- never had an issue. Later still I was transitioned to night shift and would frequent the Racetrac at the intersection of Old Milton Pkwy & Westside Pkwy around 3am for coffee. Place would usually be filled with cops and admittedly yes I was a bit nervous but they never bothered, harrased me. Sometimes would even hold a door open for me. Later still at those same hours when I went on my lunch break I frequented Westside Pkwy, Winward Pkwy, or Haynes Bridge Rd when looking for something to eat and the place is very well patroled during the night but even driving by them .. never got pulled over.. of course, I never did anything attempting to provoke them either though, during the night I am actually more speed conscious and driving aware than during the day. Anyhow, while Alpharetta is no Gwinnett County, it certainly isn't dominantly white anymore either..its pretty diverse up there. I could comfortably see myself living in Alpharetta.
oh yeah that's our gas station essentially. there is some kind of police facility right near race trac so it's always full of cops. i probably ran into you on some late night occasion! i'm glad to hear that you didn't have any issues.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:59 AM

1,386 posts, read 2,482,091 times
Great thread you guys got going on here.

OP, if you contemplate this aspect for your move. They won.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Being rude to black people doesn't mean it's racism. Some people are just rude people.

Uh doi!! I think people who are black can tell the difference between someone just being rude and someone being racist...it's a feeling and sometimes it's outright obvious.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:

If the OP is going for just a visit, perhaps they can go with a few friends to settle their nerves. As for buying property, perhaps they could buy in an area that's noticeably more diverse than other parts of the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or