U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 11:40 PM

71 posts, read 26,050 times

Advertisements

As an African American, i'd like to know whether Forsyth County is still racist. I've seen videos about the KKK marches during the 1980s but i've heard that the area has changed due to an influx of transplants, especially South Forsyth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 12:01 AM

7,694 posts, read 9,534,752 times
There is approximately 500,000 times more racism in Columbus than in South Forsyth county.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:07 AM

71 posts, read 26,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
There is approximately 500,000 times more racism in Columbus than in South Forsyth county.
About 2 years ago, I've had a racist encounter with the co-owner of a very popular coffee shop which is one of the reasons I dislike Columbus and am saving up money to move back to Metro Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:26 AM

7,694 posts, read 9,534,752 times
It's not a small county, so I think it varies considerably.

The areas of South Forsyth near the Johns Creek border are totally fine.

But I did go to downtown Cumming a few years ago to get my passport at the courthouse (one of the few that still did it, lines at the post office were stupid). I remember they only took cash, so I had to go to the Wells Fargo down there and make a deposit.

Even as a white person, I thought it was creepy. The guy behind me in line was spitting tobacco juice into a clear water bottle, which is equal parts redneck and disgusting. So I can't tell you oh yeah, Forsyth county is all fine when there are parts of it I don't even want to visit. But I can say all that sundown town crap is done and the parts of Forsyth that are considered suburban Atlanta should be totally cool. There's a triangle where Gwinnett, Forsyth and Fulton all come together up by McGinnis Ferry Road and 141. It's impossible to tell when you've crossed from one into the other.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:28 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,891,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
As an African American, i'd like to know whether Forsyth County is still racist. I've seen videos about the KKK marches during the 1980s but i've heard that the area has changed due to an influx of transplants, especially South Forsyth.
Yes, Forsyth County (particularly South Forsyth County) has experienced and continues to experience dramatic change due to a massive influx of Asian transplants and newcomers attracted to the area by the exceptionally high quality of the Forsyth County Schools system.

The Forsyth County of the 1980's where those videos were shot of the KKK and white supremacist marches through Downtown Cumming was still a somewhat isolated outer-exurban/rural county of about 38,000 residents.

The Forsyth County of late-2010's is a booming suburban/outer-suburban county of nearly 230,000 residents with exploding Asian and Hispanic populations and one of the best public school systems in the Southeastern U.S.

The population of the Forsyth County of the 1980's was virtually 100% white, while the population of the Forsyth County of the late 2010's is more than a quarter minority (26% minority as of 2016).

The kind of blatant in-your-face racism that was on display during the marches of the 1980's most likely is not going to be openly on display during a visit to the county or even if a black person moves into the county in the late 2010.

Forsyth County has come an extremely long way from the type of overtly racist environment that was a feature of its existence from about 1990 and before.

That's not to say that there are not still people with racist attitudes and racist outlooks that live in Forsyth County, but Forsyth County has definitely come a long way from the closed-off community that had a well-deserved reputation of being openly hostile to African-Americans.

I have a sister-in-law who is black that lives up in extreme North Forsyth County, almost to the Dawson County line, and she loves living out there and has reported no problems while living there for the past 11 years.

Because of the county's past history as a community that was extremely intolerant and openly hostile to black people, black people on the whole obviously might not necessarily be the most comfortable living in Forsyth County. Though it is worth noting that the county's black population (which once notoriously registered at virtually zero as recently as the 1980's) has gone up to nearly 4 percent.

Your fears about experiencing overt racism during a visit to Forsyth County likely may be exaggerated at this point-in-time. It is probably not something that you should lose sleep over.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:43 AM

9,554 posts, read 8,622,679 times
I live in south Forsyth County where I see and hear no evidence of racism. South Forsyth County is pretty diverse.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:45 AM

20,910 posts, read 32,910,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The population of the Forsyth County of the 1980's was virtually 100% white, while the population of the Forsyth County of the late 2010's is more than a quarter minority (26% minority as of 2016).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Though it is worth noting that the county's black population (which once notoriously registered at virtually zero as recently as the 1980's) has gone up to nearly 4 percent.
I remember looking at a census map from 1960 indicating population figures for counties in Georgia north of Atlanta. With regard to the black population, there were literally nothing but zeroes, ones and twos.

I used to wonder who those intrepid souls were.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM

1,137 posts, read 473,878 times
I havent ever lived in Forsyth and I know alot of people are afraid of it in terms of racism but I personally haven't run into a issue there. It never really felt any more different than rural Gwinnett to me.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:25 AM

458 posts, read 356,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
I live in South Forsyth. The county’s population has grown 6x since the 1980s and the population is vastly more diverse since then. You’re not going to experience racism any more frequently here than any other populous area in metro Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:09 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,253,993 times
Be too intelligent to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or