U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 02:53 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,289,155 times

Advertisements

The city of Atlanta would contribute $100,000 toward a $1.5 million trail that would run along the Chattahoochee River for 100 miles under an ordinance introduced by Councilman Dustin Hillis. The Chattahoochee River Greenway would extend from Lake Lanier to Chattahoochee Bend State Park. The stretch inside Atlanta would run from Marietta Boulevard to Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway and include a pedestrian bridge across the river connecting to the Cobb County segment of the trail.

"I believe that parks, greenspace and trail connectivity enrich the lives of city of Atlanta residents," Hillis said. "I'm very excited about this project." Hillis' ordinance would authorize Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to enter into a memorandum of agreement with the Atlanta Regional Commission, Cobb County and the Trust for Public Land to contribute equally to the project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 02:57 PM

205 posts, read 106,062 times
Sounds great!

I’m near the river in Cobb and the trails are great and well used. Would be awesome to have trails all along it.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:19 PM

291 posts, read 90,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Sounds great!

Iím near the river in Cobb and the trails are great and well used. Would be awesome to have trails all along it.
Are there any plans for Cobb to ever connect to Roswellís River Walk? Last I saw on the issue Cobb was being a real pain about costs associated with the Willeo Creek Bridge replacement and very insistent that Roswell cover all of the costs for providing adequate multi-use facilities on the bridge in case Cobb ever changed its mind about connecting.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Wish I knew. I live walking distance to there and have wondered what the heck they’re going to do about that bridge. Really dangerous and annoying for pedestrians and bikes at its current width.

Maybe it’ll come to a head now that the Roswell river walk boardwalk is being extended to essentially the other side of the bridge.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:25 AM

235 posts, read 82,662 times
How far can the city stretch 100k? Would that mostly be setting up posts/chairs/trash cans between the river to Reservoir Park?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:26 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
The city of Atlanta would contribute $100,000 toward a $1.5 million trail that would run along the Chattahoochee River for 100 miles under an ordinance introduced by Councilman Dustin Hillis.
So the city is thinking about putting in $100,000?

If the trail organizers want some real money they should start wearing ugly sweaters and practice their lip syncing routines.

Or just get to know the right people and make smart campaign contributions.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:00 AM

362 posts, read 159,204 times
100 miles for $1.5mm is a steal. I've always said if atlanta wanted to be unique they'd make natural creek/stream/river paths and parks their calling card. So many cities have "riverwalks".......

Old 05-13-2018, 01:09 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,818,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
100 miles for $1.5mm is a steal.
Yeah...that caught my eye. $15,000 a mile for a trail seems awfully low, especially if it includes bridges across the Chattahoochee.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
Are there any plans for Cobb to ever connect to Roswellís River Walk? Last I saw on the issue Cobb was being a real pain about costs associated with the Willeo Creek Bridge replacement and very insistent that Roswell cover all of the costs for providing adequate multi-use facilities on the bridge in case Cobb ever changed its mind about connecting.

Looks like Cobb and Roswell are splitting the bridge cost. From last summer:

In another 5-0 vote, the commission approved an engineering design contract with Gresham Smith and Partners for $483,359 for replacement of the Willeo Road bridge over Willeo Creek. Itís a joint project with the City of Roswell, with each jurisdiction kicking in around $213,900 each. Roswell is spending an additional $55,474 for design work for a multi-use trail boardwalk that will connect to the new bridge.

Multi-use trails along Lower Roswell also reach the Cobb side of the bridge and continue westbound, close to Johnson Ferry Road, where bicycle and pedestrian trails are proposed as part of the Johnson Ferry Urban Design Plan approved in 2011.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 PM

291 posts, read 90,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Looks like Cobb and Roswell are splitting the bridge cost. From last summer:

In another 5-0 vote, the commission approved an engineering design contract with Gresham Smith and Partners for $483,359 for replacement of the Willeo Road bridge over Willeo Creek. Itís a joint project with the City of Roswell, with each jurisdiction kicking in around $213,900 each. Roswell is spending an additional $55,474 for design work for a multi-use trail boardwalk that will connect to the new bridge.

Multi-use trails along Lower Roswell also reach the Cobb side of the bridge and continue westbound, close to Johnson Ferry Road, where bicycle and pedestrian trails are proposed as part of the Johnson Ferry Urban Design Plan approved in 2011.
Mea Culpa. I had misunderstood the content of an amendment to the intergovernmental agreement. I thought it was to make sure the costs associated with the multi use trail across the bridge had to be paid by Roswell. It was actually that Cobb wanted clarification that the multiuse trail connecting the bridge to Willeo Park in Roswell would be paid by Roswell as a separate project. Definitely not the same thing. So sorry for being wrong about that.

I really hope Cobb connects its river trail to Roswell, selfishly so I can access more trails, but also because Roswell will eventually connect the Riverwalk to Big Creek. That would make for some pretty nice long paths!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or