U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 07:09 PM

942 posts, read 2,689,160 times

Advertisements

Wawa is supposed to open its first shop in JAX in a few months. They will probably be in SoGA in the very near future!

Being from Tennessee, i would love to see Weigel's expand in Metro ATL!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 09:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,984,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Wawa is great, but it's only in 6 states, none of whom have Qt and Racetrac (except Tampa). There isn't one for hundreds of miles. None even in Charlotte or Raleigh. It would be really difficult for them to enter the market because of the dominance of QT and Racetrac, who is headquartered here.
Sheetz, out of Pennsylvania, is HUGE in ther Raleigh-Durham region. There are a lot, including in my small hometown of Louisburg.

Food, cooked to order, very popular.

WaWa is an upper mid-Atlantic entity.

I don't want everywhere in America to have the same Ross, Marshalls & PetSmart like Atlanta.

Being regional is good.

But the BIG THING in Raleigh-Durhams is the 3 Wegmans grocery stores they're building.

It's always voted the best grocery store in America (Rochester, NY based I think)

Old 05-13-2018, 09:15 PM

14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Sheetz, out of Pennsylvania, is HUGE in ther Raleigh-Durham region. There are a lot, including in my small hometown of Louisburg.

I don't want everywhere in America to have the same Ross, Marshalls & PetSmart like Atlanta.

Being regional is good.

But the BIG THING in Raleigh-Durhams is the 3 Wegmans grocery stores they're building.

It's always voted the best grocery store in America (Rochester, NY based I think)
Sheetz would go over very well here in Atlanta - and now I have gone off topic, too. (Don't even get me started on Wegman's! I miss them so much!)

Back on topic. (I still love living here more than living up north with a Wegman's and Sheetz)

Old 05-14-2018, 08:55 AM

860 posts, read 468,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Being regional is good.

Richmond is a market where Southeast favorite Publix and Mid-Atlantic favorite Wegmans already overlap. The competition in Raleigh should be very interesting once Wegmans opens there (Publix has already opened a few locations in the Triangle). It's on a different level from Publix, since Publix are typically designed as neighborhood stores, while Wegmans are more destination-oriented, so fewer of them are built compared to other grocery stores.They usually have much more square footage and often contain restaurants and extensive hot bar selections along with a deli, and groceries of course.

As for this thread, I live in the DMV area now where Wawa, Sheetz, and Baltimore-based Royal Farms compete. Sheetz has more food selections, but it's definitely low-quality food. Good donuts though. Wawa has a better deli selection. Royal Farms is known for its fried chicken (which is very good, BTW). Honestly, their selections are better than what QT has to offer, but QT beats those three out on drink selections. I drove from DC to Atlanta about 8 months ago and made sure I stopped at Sheetz and QT so I could make note of the differences. When I lived in ATL, I went to QT all of the time. Those taquitos and corndogs just didn't seem to be the same after being spoiled by Wawa and Royal Farms where I am now, LOL.

Sheetz seem to be more consistently cleaner than Wawa's, which often deal with LOTS of foot traffic not to mention gas lines, which speak to their popularity in this area, but we're not that far from their Philadelphia base, so I guess that makes sense. Royal Farms dominates Baltimore, but has made inroads in the farther-out Maryland suburbs of DC.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
The lack of great drink options would keep me at QT. I've been to Wawa down in Tampa and I wasn't impressed. Didn't try the food, to be fair. But Wawa seemed like a lot of hype. Ill take the competition tho

As someone who lived in Houston for a couple years, the fact that we have Racetrac and QT is a blessing. They have nothing but cheapo independently run C Stores or super overpriced stores owned by the petroleum companies. Terrible selection for a city so in love with their freeways.

The only thing that 7-11 would bring to this city is more convenience stores without gas pumps. We have a hardcore lack of these around the city, would love to see more. If I was more entrepreneurial, I would already be in this business with a small empire across the more dense sections of Atlanta.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:20 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,479,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The lack of great drink options would keep me at QT. I've been to Wawa down in Tampa and I wasn't impressed. Didn't try the food, to be fair. But Wawa seemed like a lot of hype. Ill take the competition tho

As someone who lived in Houston for a couple years, the fact that we have Racetrac and QT is a blessing. They have nothing but cheapo independently run C Stores or super overpriced stores owned by the petroleum companies. Terrible selection for a city so in love with their freeways.

The only thing that 7-11 would bring to this city is more convenience stores without gas pumps. We have a hardcore lack of these around the city, would love to see more. If I was more entrepreneurial, I would already be in this business with a small empire across the more dense sections of Atlanta.
As I mentioned, there is a QT without gas pumps in Midtown. But yeah, it would be nice to have more especially in high density areas such as Buckhead, Downtown, O4W, Decatur, etc.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,984,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As I mentioned, there is a QT without gas pumps in Midtown. But yeah, it would be nice to have more especially in high density areas such as Buckhead, Downtown, O4W, Decatur, etc.
I emailed QT suggesting that the location on Sidney Marcus needs to be completely rebuilt or moved to another location, perhaps they could buy a little of the Dump's parking lot which is wasted 5 days a week.

The gas pumps need to be reoriented perpendicular to where they are now, because it's SO HARD to navigate that parking lot, and it's a very busy location.

Also, these first old stores are nothing like the new ones that I've been in like in Charlotte on NC49 near UNC Charlotte's campus.

That location is very roomy and has 5 times the selection of food offerings.

Even our new midtown location one block from me has a dismal section of food offerings, and it's missing out of a lot of sales for a neighborhood that's walkable and somewhat affluent.

Raleigh has Publix and Wegmans because it's even more of hotspot for transplants than Atlanta.

It's safe to say that Raleigh/Cary is over half Yankee now.

It's like my Dad said when I asked why more Northerners (NY/NJ/MA) aren't moving to Atlanta which is more citified than NC.

He says, "They start heading South and never get that far."

Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
I like the European way. A drive-up pumping station and you're on your way. Efficient and unobtrusive. Swipe, pump and go. No convenience store muss and fuss. That annoys me, and it's not particularly attractive.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:19 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I love that they built that, I hope there are more to come.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 PM

4,129 posts, read 3,221,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That does blow my mind. DFW has tons of QTs. Don't know why Houston can't have any. A few try to stand out like Stripes but it just isn't the same. There have been so many times where I'm driving around wishing for just one QT in Houston to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta