U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 PM

1,004 posts, read 601,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
To me, the perfect inaugural location for Wegmans in ITP Atlanta would be around the W. Paces Ferry exit at I-75. The area is surrounded by highly affluent, well-traveled 'Early Adopters'. Other possible locations:

Perimeter Center
Roswell at I-285
Atlantic Station
Cumberland Mall/Galleria
Ponce City Market area

Not sure the market is ideal, but a Northlake Mall Wegman's could be the kickstart that retail center needs.
I like the idea of the WPF/75 since the demos are perfect for a store like Wegmans, BUT that area is so built out, so I'd have no idea where they'd build it unless they tore down that shopping center where the Publix is, and I wonder if the well-heeled residents in that area would protest against the inevitable increase in traffic? Perimeter Center or Roswell/285 seems more feasible, but the area is built out and congested too. The Prado would've been great, but Target and Publix have that. That Lowe's off Roswell would be a great location, or where that SuperTarget is by Perimeter Mall, since Target Corp. seems like they don't want to keep SuperTarget's open anymore. Or where that Costco and Home Depot are (one of the Wegmans in Maryland is adjacent to a Costco and they both stay busy). A location along 285 that can capture the Vinings/East Cobb/Buckhead/Sandy Springs/Dunwoody location would be great for Wegmans, but too many other companies have the same idea and desire. Cumberland/Galleria could be good too, but there would have to be a large plot of land available. I also think somewhere that can capture Johns Creek/Alpharetta off 400 would be another ideal location. I suggested Northlake since that mall is on life support and its adjacent to desirable neighborhoods in Tucker and off LaVista Road and would do a lot to revive the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Biscuit_head, I do see what you mean by some of the comments but I chalk it up to them not having enough experience with Wawa. I guess I can understand the drinks comparison but the food offerings from QT and Racetrac is nowhere close to Wawa's baked goods, soup, salads, and especially the hoagies (subs). How did a chain from Oklahoma blow up so far away from their base anyway?

Regarding Wegmans, there are enough Western NY people in Metro Atlanta to support it one.
QT started making their expansion into Atlanta in the late 1980s, so they've grown up along with the metro for the last 30 years and they benefited from the phenomenal 1990s growth that Metro Atlanta experienced and they're a part of the overall fabric of the area. They offered a great convenience store product that other gas stations were not offering at the time. Why do you think Publix mollywhopped Big Star AND Winn-Dixie when they started opening in the 1990s throughout Atlanta? They were a vastly superior grocery store and having a lot of Floridians in the area didn't hurt neither. Also, they're hq'd in Tulsa, but QT has a wide reach around the country. Besides Tulsa, Kansas City, St. Louis, and Dallas/Ft. Worth in that region, they're as far north as Des Moines, Omaha, and as far west as Phoenix and Tucson not to mention their recent inroads in Greenville/Spartanburg and Charlotte. They're scattered about in a way, but its been working for them. Also, southerners don't seem to be into eating hoagies for what ever reason. It is what it is.

Doubtful, and Atlanta is too far away from its distribution base/supply chain like another poster said. They'd have to make inroads in Charlotte and Greenville/Spartanburg and open a distribution center somewhere that can serve the Carolinas and Georgia before they could even think of opening in Atlanta. And NYC area (NYC/Southern NY/Long Island/North Jersey) transplants vastly outnumber Western NY transplants in Metro Atlanta based on my experiences there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta