U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:06 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,705,971 times

Advertisements

The only reason to require a signature these days is to have "proof" that the officer didn't just issue the ticket but not present it to the driver. But, the dash cam and/or body cams these days should be proof enough. No video evidence, dismissed. Arjay's right, it's entered into the computer so if someone doesn't show, a warrant is issued. This is an old law, time to wipe it off the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:13 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,479,199 times
So, I'm just curious, if I resist arrest and scream like crazy, will I get the same sympathy? Or do I have to be old for this luxury?

I've been cursed at by police officers. Wonder if I can get them fired. Anyone watched an episode of Cops. Those guys curse a lot. Wonder if they were fired. This guy missed the memo you're only allowed to curse at thugs.

I like how we are now coddling this belligerent woman because people feel she shouldn't have to sign the ticket which is a simple direction and was thoroughly explained. That is not what escalated this situation. The woman did. He wanted the door open and as the officer is standing there she tries to close it on him. She gets a pass? Give me a break. She could have been on her way. She fought the law and the law won.

Why is crap like this even newsworthy?

Old 05-13-2018, 08:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
So, I'm just curious, if I resist arrest and scream like crazy, will I get the same sympathy? Or do I have to be old for this luxury?

I've been cursed at by police officers. Wonder if I can get them fired. Anyone watched an episode of Cops. Those guys curse a lot. Wonder if they were fired. This guy missed the memo you're only allowed to curse at thugs.

I like how we are now coddling this belligerent woman because people feel she shouldn't have to sign the ticket which is a simple direction and was thoroughly explained. That is not what escalated this situation. The woman did. She could have been on her way. She fought the law and the law won.
I saw family getting cursed at by cops. There were minors around...they should have faced discipline and I wish the person reported the police officer because he was well out of order.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:17 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The officer (3rd) who resigned was the one who told her to ****. The 2nd officer was trying to deescalate the situation.

The first officer was an ass for writing the ticket in the first place. This should have been a warning. 2nd, she told him that signing the ticket was admission of guilt. She already asked for a supervisor so why did he threaten her with arrest for failure to sign and disorderly conduct? The both made a mountain of a mole hill.

Thankfully, it was dash cam footage unlike some counties ( Gwinnett) so they can't say that grandma was lying on the officers.
Pardon? No dash cam in Gwinnett? I didn't even know that was legal. I thought the police had to have it in all states. Ridiculous in this day and time.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 AM

4,143 posts, read 5,734,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Pardon? No dash cam in Gwinnett? I didn't even know that was legal. I thought the police had to have it in all states. Ridiculous in this day and time.
Not with the police. Sheriff office might have it in their cars.

I learned that with the crash in Tucker and the incident with the 2 officers that were charged.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

3,946 posts, read 3,251,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
In no universe should that have been a warning. She totally drifted into his Lane. Had he not swerved, she would have hit him. That should definitely not only be a ticket, but an expensive one.

Plus, you guys are insane. This lady refuses to sign a ticket, after the officer explains that it's not an admission of guilt. That's why you have a court date, that's where your guilt is determined. Then she is combative and does not follow a police officer's orders.

As far as I'm concerned, she's lucky she didn't get pepper sprayed and tased. Especially since she was talking to him through a rolled up tinted window. He doesn't know what's behind that. I'm totally against improper arrests, shootings, etc....but come on. People have to understand what police officers are doing. The time and place to fight against it is court. Everything that happened here, she did to herself. The cop probably resigned because he doesn't want to be an officer anymore where this is even controversial, and I don't blame him.
Its also her right to request a supervisor. He simply could have went back to his car until the supervisor showed up.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Its also her right to request a supervisor. He simply could have went back to his car until the supervisor showed up.
Maybe the first cop was worried his colleagues would consider him a wimp for not being able to handle an old lady?

The cop who showed up later and went over the top looked like he was trying to establish dominance over the perp/suspect.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
It is NOT your right to have a supervisor every time a cop wants to write a ticket. The judge is the supervisor. This isn't customer service at Walmart. Police chiefs don't drive around validating traffic tickets.

The officer was also more than willing to provide his supervisor's information. If you don't sign a ticket, you get arrested. That's the law. If you don't like it, take it up with lawmakers, not law enforcement.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 PM

67 posts, read 32,506 times
She was a bit over dramatic, to tell you the truth.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:16 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
She was a bit over dramatic, to tell you the truth.
The cop was way more jacked up than she was IMO. He's the one that took it to an unnecessary level judging from the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta