U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 01:31 PM

22,166 posts, read 16,168,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lifealex View Post
The busiest bus route in Marta's system is route 39 Buford Highway it uses the 60 ft long buses and are still packed it's frequency is every 15 minutes most of the day and every 20 minutes early in the morning and late at night and every 20 minutes all day on weekends this route also runs over 22 hours on weekdays which is longer than marta's train system first bus departure 4:05 a.m. last bus arrival 2:11 a.m. at the Doraville train station
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Buford Highway is practically screaming for LRT. Even the inevitable redevelopment of the Corridor won't change that.
BRT in dedicated lanes are much better suited for Buford Hwy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Didn't know that about Campbellton Road. Im for it now!
If LRT was going to run in dedicated lanes, then I would consider it, but at this point it would be rail in-street. We need to prioritize as much transit in exclusive guideways as possible with MoreMARTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,423,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
This is exactly what should be done. Campbellton Rd can't support a streetcar, the density isn't there. BRT would be great for that corridor. But as has been said, politics is playing the cards more so than the use of data. Such is life, nowadays.

KLB pushed this and gotten this passed as an ordinance while she was still District 11 Councilmember to require funding for the LRT extension along Campbellton Road via the Oakland City MARTA station and a short LRT stub from the Beltline itself. Since KLB, is now Atlanta's mayor, you might as well forget trying to unpin that initiative.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
KLB pushed this and gotten this passed as an ordinance while she was still District 11 Councilmember to require funding for the LRT extension along Campbellton Road via the Oakland City MARTA station and a short LRT stub from the Beltline itself. Since KLB, is now Atlanta's mayor, you might as well forget trying to unpin that initiative.
WTF, when did that vote come up?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
bu2

8,976 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I agree with this. Spending $130 million on an interim transit mode just seems wasteful and unnecessary. However, I did watch the Beltine Rail Now Q&A in which I learned that Campbellton Road is the second busiest bus corridor in the entire region so it is more than just a political route. In that meeting, Marta promised to update their website with the data that the project list is based on as soon as possible.

Also Ryan Gravel has posted his thoughts on the project list which is more nuanced that most people will take the time to understand. Now that I've read this, I completely agree with him.

https://ryangravel.com/2018/05/21/fa...re-marta-plan/
He's too hung up on his college thesis. The north side will be enormously expensive. My understanding is that is still an active freight line. If you are going to spend that much, you should look at HRT. I feel the same way about the Clifton Corridor.

If Campbellton is the 2nd busiest bus corridor, it makes more sense.

The NE Beltline is one that needs study. Its a golf course, an old mall and a park. There aren't many jobs or people north of the skate park. The SE Beltline would seem to be more important.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM

20,942 posts, read 32,927,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
BRT in dedicated lanes are much better suited for Buford Hwy.
I don't see why those same lanes couldn't be dedicated to LRT. Buford Highway could afford a road diet.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:25 PM
bu2

8,976 posts, read 5,673,244 times
Quote:
I don't see why those same lanes couldn't be dedicated to LRT. Buford Highway could afford a road diet.
I take it you don't ever use that route.

Take away lanes you use!

Buford north of Sidney Marcus is a critical alternative to I-85. Once you get close to Sidney Marcus, its a disaster.

Now there does seem to be enough ROW along much of that route to do things without necessarily taking away lanes.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,423,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
WTF, when did that vote come up?

It was buried within the legislation that allowed the passage of the MoreMARTA referendum. I recall reading the line item referencing this very project added by KLB when it was made into law. It's convolutedly placed within the legislation, but it's there hence why undoing the prioritization of the Campbellton Road fixed route transit would be nearly impossible.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:57 PM

20,942 posts, read 32,927,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I take it you don't ever use that route.

Take away lanes you use!

Buford north of Sidney Marcus is a critical alternative to I-85. Once you get close to Sidney Marcus, its a disaster.

Now there does seem to be enough ROW along much of that route to do things without necessarily taking away lanes.
I use it all the time. I live in North Druid Hills. Once you get above the Lenox Road and North Druid Hills intersections, traffic flow is pretty consistent; it's six-lane road with a median to boot. I don't why accommodating an LRT line would cause great difficulty, especially if you're proposing BRT as an alternative.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8411.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 05-22-2018, 08:37 PM

37 posts, read 36,654 times
So can anyone give good ballpark numbers on exactly how much Clifton rail vs. the entire beltline will cost?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
If and when DeKalb Co passes their own MoreMARTA sales tax increase then that's a possibility, but because of it's redundancy and proximity to Gold Line I can see it having difficulty qualifying for FTA grants. Also, dedicated BRT lanes would allow in the emergency that I-85 is shut down GDOT could open the BRT lanes to general traffic. IMO that corridor is better suited for BRT, the stigma of bus doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or