U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:55 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I prefer Alternate 1. It puts a stop right at the hospital, which provides access both to employment and healthcare. Good for everyone to have as many healthcare facilities accessible by transit as possible. The upside of Alternate 2 is that it puts a stop closer to the VA hospital, but I don’t think they serve nearly as many people, and a circulator shuttle would be easy enough, especially if they could run to through Emory’s park to Claremont like the Emory shuttles do.
The VA is hugely dependent on MARTA. The #19 is packed to the gills with VA patrons and employees coming from the Brookhaven and Decatur stations, and a large portion of the riders are disabled. It often takes as much as 15 minutes to on and offload the passengers. Having a LR stop there would be a blessing; as it is, many of them have to contend with negotiating HRT and at least two bus transfers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 09:24 AM

198 posts, read 72,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Those aren't the exact alternatives anymore. They're looking at what they call alternatives 6 and 7 (respectively): https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg
My preference is definitely 7 as all but a few hundred feet are elevated, underground, or just not on a road.

7 only has two stops and 6 has 3 stops. Shouldn't we want more stops there?

Old 05-12-2018, 11:51 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
https://www.myajc.com/news/local-gov...7826JemL087rJ/

The AJC reports that the new MARTA lines will include the so-called Clifton Corridor, linking the Avondale station east of Decatur with the Lindbergh Center station in north Atlanta. It would provide relief to one of metro Atlanta's more congested areas, creating MARTA rail service to Emory Univeristy, Emory Hospital, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Children's Healthcare and the Veteran's Administration Hospital near Decatur.

Since then, employees have evaluated dozens of potential projects that would cost a combined $11.5 billion. The proposed final list includes:

The four-mile Clifton Corridor light rail line from MARTA’s Lindbergh station to the Emory University/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention area recently annexed by Atlanta.
A light rail system stretching from the Clifton Corridor to Campbelltown Road in southwest Atlanta. The network includes the northeast and southwest portions of the proposed Beltline Loop, plus a connecting link through downtown along the existing Atlanta Streetcar route. The streetcar would become part of the light rail network.
Bus rapid transit lines on Capitol Avenue, North Avenue and Northside Drive. MARTA also would initially deploy bus rapid transit along Campbellton Road before upgrading the line to light rail. The buses may operate in their own lanes, making the service faster than local bus service.
Three arterial rapid transit bus lines, which would operate in regular traffic but may get priority at traffic signals and other enhancements to keep them moving.
New bus transfer centers at Greenbriar Mall in southwest Atlanta and Marietta Boulevard in northwest Atlanta, plus numerous enhancements to existing MARTA rail stations.
This is already being discussed in the MARTA November thread.
Quote:
I prefer Alternate 1. It puts a stop right at the hospital, which provides access both to employment and healthcare. Good for everyone to have as many healthcare facilities accessible by transit as possible. The upside of Alternate 2 is that it puts a stop closer to the VA hospital, but I don’t think they serve nearly as many people, and a circulator shuttle would be easy enough, especially if they could run to through Emory’s park to Claremont like the Emory shuttles do.
At this point, it doesn't matter as More MARTA isn't funding past Emory.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:13 PM

291 posts, read 90,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The VA is hugely dependent on MARTA. The #19 is packed to the gills with VA patrons and employees coming from the Brookhaven and Decatur stations, and a large portion of the riders are disabled. It often takes as much as 15 minutes to on and offload the passengers. Having a LR stop there would be a blessing; as it is, many of them have to contend with negotiating HRT and at least two bus transfers.
I guess this discussion is irrelevant anyway, as I had responded before we were all reminded that it’s aftuslly Alt 6 or 7, not 1 or 2. Neither of 6 nor 7 has a stop at Emory East. I’m hoping Emory, MARTA, or the VA will run a shuttle through Lullwater Park to the VA. That would make the situation much better than 2 buses from HRT.

The alternative that stops at the Hospital vs the one that stops on the residential road seems preferable, IMO.

And to cqholt: it does matter because there are route diffferences within Emory’s campus on the two alternatives, and they’ll have to pick one of them before proceeding forward so they can be ready to go for whenever Dekalb wants to fund the rest of the line.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:24 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
I guess this discussion is irrelevant anyway, as I had responded before we were all reminded that it’s aftuslly Alt 6 or 7, not 1 or 2. Neither of 6 nor 7 has a stop at Emory East. I’m hoping Emory, MARTA, or the VA will run a shuttle through Lullwater Park to the VA. That would make the situation much better than 2 buses from HRT.

The alternative that stops at the Hospital vs the one that stops on the residential road seems preferable, IMO.

And to cqholt: it does matter because there are route diffferences within Emory’s campus on the two alternatives, and they’ll have to pick one of them before proceeding forward so they can be ready to go for whenever Dekalb wants to fund the rest of the line.
No way in hell Emory is going to allow anything to be run through Lullwater Park.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:02 PM

12,885 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Those aren't the exact alternatives anymore. They're looking at what they call alternatives 6 and 7 (respectively): https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg
My preference is definitely 7 as all but a few hundred feet are elevated, underground, or just not on a road.

Omg...totally #7. Smart.

Only things...

1. I think this should be heavy-rail.
2. After Emory, it should curve up towards Emory-Clairmont, and North Druid Hill along the RoW. And then eventually to Northlake.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:52 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Omg...totally #7. Smart.

Only things...

1. I think this should be heavy-rail.
2. After Emory, it should curve up towards Emory-Clairmont, and North Druid Hill along the RoW. And then eventually to Northlake.
Why do you like #7?

Old 05-12-2018, 03:15 PM

291 posts, read 90,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No way in hell Emory is going to allow anything to be run through Lullwater Park.
They already run their own shuttle through there, and they’d have a hard time keeping people from riding it and then walking part way up the hill to the VA hospital.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:57 PM

12,885 posts, read 20,969,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Why do you like #7?
Only one little bit of it is in the median of a street. None of it should be, to be honest.

It’s all about RoW, tunnels, bridges, elevated platforms.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,902,450 times
You mean the City of Atlanta might eventually someday get a couple of the light rail projects that they've been paying for for 2 1/2 years, that were in the project list 2 1/2 years ago?

How/why the f is this suddenly news? And why did we need a new thread on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or