U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 08:25 AM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I rarely ride transit, because it's next to useless around this metro. If it were better, or even an option at all, I'd ride more.

It's a combo of there not being enough transit or enough quality transit, but also Metro Atlanta just not being designed for it.

I have no kind of anti-transit position or anything. When I was in Seattle I rode the crap out of transit- it was just better.
MARTA Rail>Link Light rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 AM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
I rarely ride transit, because it's next to useless around this metro. If it were better, or even an option at all, I'd ride more.

It's a combo of there not being enough transit or enough quality transit, but also Metro Atlanta just not being designed for it.

I have no kind of anti-transit position or anything. When I was in Seattle I rode the crap out of transit- it was just better.
If transit is convenient people will use it.

Of course I'm talking about choice riders.

The backbone of MARTA's ridership is folks who really don't have a lot of alternatives. They're the ones who'd really benefit from immediately benefit from massively beefing up the bus system. It would help choice riders, too, of course, if they could get over their busophobia.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,906,632 times
Go ahead and call it "busophobia" or whatever you want to call it. But for all the last 5 jobs I've had, every single one of them has been, I can get there 30 mins or less via car, but it would take me 2 or 3 hours via transit. And that was also same thing while I lived in Sandy Springs right near Medical Center MARTA station, so can't really blame Cobb.

If transit were only a little bit longer commute, I'd probably take that option. But not when it's 5x less convenient.

And no, I'm not going to move to where the best transit options are, or only take job offers at the best transit accessible locations. Because that's missing the entire point. Transit should serve me, not the other way around. I'm not complaining about driving- I like to drive to work as my commute. But I'd be more than open to alternatives. But in choosing where I live and where I work, transit access is not the only priority or even one of the top priorities. There are a lot of factors and priorities involved.

Anyway, that's just my personal reason for not riding. There aren't options, unless I specifically went out of my way to arrange my life in a transit-oriented way, which would limit my housing and job options. As well as I probably wouldn't be able to afford to buy, or buy in a nice area that I feel safe and that I enjoy.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 PM

9,558 posts, read 8,619,721 times
Quote:
And no, I'm not going to move to where the best transit options are, or only take job offers at the best transit accessible locations. Because that's missing the entire point. Transit should serve me, not the other way around. I'm not complaining about driving- I like to drive to work as my commute. But I'd be more than open to alternatives. But in choosing where I live and where I work, transit access is not the only priority or even one of the top priorities. There are a lot of factors and priorities involved.
primal, I think that this is the way most folks feel about it - at least, the vast majority of folks I've know since moving here 29 years ago.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:38 PM
bu2

8,969 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
NE BeltLine has the density (and ever increasing) to support rail-based transit line.
Nobody (at least nobody is supposed to) live in Piedmont Park. Ansley Park is not very dense. Nobody lives actually on the golf course. Virginia Highlands isn't particularly dense, especially close to the park.

North of Ponce along the Beltline is pretty much one of the last places you would want to put rail.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Nobody (at least nobody is supposed to) live in Piedmont Park. Ansley Park is not very dense. Nobody lives actually on the golf course. Virginia Highlands isn't particularly dense, especially close to the park.

North of Ponce along the Beltline is pretty much one of the last places you would want to put rail.
No, the NW BeltLine is the last place you'd want to put rail.

Several apartments along Ponce De Leon Pl, north of Ponce. PCM and Murder Kroger Tower. O4W Park area. Inman Park Village. Krog St area. Shall I go on?
Not to mention the potential redevelopment of Ansley Mall and Midtown Place.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,818,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Thatís like saying no one lives at the stadium/CNN station so there shouldnít be rail there. Piedmont Park is a big destination for people and itís only going to become more so in the future with the Fuqua development and other attempts to make the area more dense.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:46 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, the NW BeltLine is the last place you'd want to put rail.

Several apartments along Ponce De Leon Pl, north of Ponce. PCM and Murder Kroger Tower. O4W Park area. Inman Park Village. Krog St area. Shall I go on?
Not to mention the potential redevelopment of Ansley Mall and Midtown Place.
Do you not understand "north of Ponce?"

PCM and Kroger Tower, O4W, Inman Park and Krog St. are all south of Ponce. All would be served very well with the light rail line turning south from North Avenue to the Beltline. Many would not be served by it turning north at the Beltline.

If you keep going on, you just look like you will defend anything with any sort of nonsense.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:50 PM
bu2

And the Northwest part of the beltline does at least have all the employment around Piedmont Hospital.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:50 PM

1,310 posts, read 696,633 times
Quality Rapid Transit will always be a problem in Atlanta, because for a large American city.. it is not all that dense, Even the intown neighborhoods are fairly low density when compared to places like Washington, DC, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, and even Portland, Ore. YOu really need a certain density level to make rapid rail transit viable. I have always thought that BRT would be a better way for Atlanta to go... it is far cheaper and can get up and running much quicker than building heavy or even light rail systems. I spent some time in Ottawa, Canada.. a much smaller city than Atlanta, and their BRT was very convenient and easy to use. I used it all the time while there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or