U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM

5,417 posts, read 2,741,048 times

Advertisements

So, before someone else claims that Pidemont Park is a bad thing to connect too because it's a park and not housing / commercial, I did some math.

Piedmont park got over 4 Mil. visitors in 2016.. That's an average of 10,959 people per day. It is, according to wikipedia, 189 acres large. That makes it the equivalent of ~58 people per acre per day (or an equivalent density of 33,920 ppsm).

If you assume three people per household, that makes Piedmont park the equivalent of 19.3 hh/acre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 03:20 PM

3,447 posts, read 2,828,613 times
Are you guys arguing about transit or definitions. It seems you have two different definitions of what NE Beltline means. I’m assuming it’s all of the total east side trail that currently exists which includes areas North and South of Ponce. A route going from the eastside neighborhoods to Piedmont Park and Lindbergh is extremely useful for that side of town, I don’t see how the trains would be empty.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM

22,193 posts, read 16,201,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Are you guys arguing about transit or definitions. It seems you have two different definitions of what NE Beltline means. Iím assuming itís all of the total east side trail that currently exists which includes areas North and South of Ponce. A route going from the eastside neighborhoods to Piedmont Park and Lindbergh is extremely useful for that side of town, I donít see how the trains would be empty.
Yes, I used the term BeltLine NE LRT in reference to what MARTA used in their document: https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFil...ary_052918.pdf

Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 PM

5,417 posts, read 2,741,048 times
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this, but MARTA released a new fact sheet for the Clifton Corridor:

Old 06-14-2018, 05:55 PM

4,246 posts, read 2,833,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
It's all about easing the zoning. Don't worry. It's gentle infill so you won't feel a thing!
I won't feel a thing either way. That side of town ain't my bag, baby. But, "gentle infill" isn't going to bring it anywhere near the area south of ponce, as far as density for transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Armour east of the tracks has large amount of underused, industrial property.
Those are peoples' businesses!!!11!!

Which areas are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And Armour is better served by an infill station on the red/gold lines rather than a circuitous light rail route by Piedmont Park.
I agree that there should be an infill station at Armour, if only to provide the connection to Red/Gold instead of having to offshoot up to Lindbergh. But, I think that a light rail route along the east side would be well-used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The Marta Reps mentioned these facts in the forum a couple of weeks ago. I know everyone here is an expert on all things, but there actually are a logical reasons behind the choices that have been presented.
Just because they are or aren't doing anything doesn't make it the right, or "expert" way. There's no plan for a station where the Beltline crosses the Blue line at Dekalb Ave...that alone is enough proof that they don't really make the best decisions.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,397,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I guess this is as good a place as any to post this, but MARTA released a new fact sheet for the Clifton Corridor:
2026? Good grief

Old 06-14-2018, 06:29 PM

4,909 posts, read 3,716,385 times
Even that's optimistic.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM

9,921 posts, read 6,919,053 times
Meanwhile Elon Musk's company just won the bid to build an operate a 100% privately funded high-speed 18-mile (in 12 minutes), underground rail line between O'Hare and downtown Chicago. They hope to have it operational in 16-24 months.

I am sure that is an optimistic timeline, but I bet they still will be operational before we start construction.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 PM

3,447 posts, read 2,828,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Iím concerned about the capacity. Are smaller vehicles that come every 30 seconds more efficient than a larger train that comes every 5 minuets? That sounds like a crazy amount of infrastructure to maintain and a lot could go wrong, but I canít wait to see it though.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:32 PM

9,921 posts, read 6,919,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I’m concerned about the capacity. Are smaller vehicles that come every 30 seconds more efficient than a larger train that comes every 5 minuets? That sounds like a crazy amount of infrastructure to maintain and a lot could go wrong, but I can’t wait to see it though.
Yeah, they have said the vehicle is still not finalized. I bet they end up with something larger / more train like especially if it is just going back and forth between two stops. But I agree, will be interesting to see how it works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or