Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
IMO I do not agree with Clifton Corridor or NW BeltLine (which City of Atlanta/ABI does not own and is an active railroad.)
I wish the city would have put a transit tax on the ballot to do the entire beltline and nothing else, and then another tax for the rest of the list. A complete beltline has a ton of potential for tying the system together and it would bring transit to every part if the city.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I get where he's coming from, but the whole bit about the Clifton Corridor is just based on a mistake of reality. My understanding is that the amount designated for that project in the current More MARTA plans are based on MARTA already assuming federal matching funds. So this whole schtick of "hold a tiny portion of the money until the feds step in" is... well... BS. If CoA's contributions only amount to 20% of what is currently on the project list, the CoA will get 1/5 of the Clifton Corridor even with federal funds. At least that's the way I've interpreted things. Am I wrong?
Even the Technical Analysis anticipates federal matching for a lot of the projects, see page 13-14.
https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFil...ary_052918.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I wish the city would have put a transit tax on the ballot to do the entire beltline and nothing else, and then another tax for the rest of the list. A complete beltline has a ton of potential for tying the system together and it would bring transit to every part if the city.
A) City of Atlanta does not own the entire the ROW at this time.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 PM

296 posts, read 220,280 times
Quote:
Even the Technical Analysis anticipates federal matching for a lot of the projects, see page 13-14.

Thanks for that reference. So either Gravel is shockingly unaware of the budget assumptions or he's being disingenuous so that his preferred project list sounds/looks better. The Clifton Corridor is an expensive project. Maybe the cost isn't justifiable, but it's not completely honest to suggest that he supports it if only everyone else pays their fair share, as if that's not exactly what is theoretically going to happen (i.e. Feds pay for half of the capital costs, Dekalb pays for their half of the portion in Dekalb, CoA pays for its half of the portion in CoA).

EDIT: Should put the numbers in here. Local Capital: $ 393,000,000; Federal Capital: $ 393,000,000; Total Capital: $ 786,000,000; Local Operations and Maintenance: $ 110,600,000; Total Local: $ 503,600,000. So he's suggesting CoA pay just $100MM? Come on.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:43 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
What will be the Emory-in-Atlanta area MARTA tax contribution over the next 30 years? I expect it is much less than $100M. $100M out of this City of Atlanta "More MARTA" seems like the city more than pulling it's share of this regional line.

Basically all the City of Atlanta More MARTA funding should be going to improving service within the city.

I wish there was magicly enough money for the city to somehow fund central trunk transit lines for the entire metro, but money is very finite so the city funds should go to city projects first.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
What will be the Emory-in-Atlanta area MARTA tax contribution over the next 30 years? I expect it is much less than $100M. $100M out of this City of Atlanta "More MARTA" seems like the city more than pulling it's share of this regional line.

Basically all the City of Atlanta More MARTA funding should be going to improving service within the city.

I wish there was magicly enough money for the city to somehow fund central trunk transit lines for the entire metro, but money is very finite so the city funds should go to city projects first.
Did anybody ever calculate how much Emory will be paying in to MARTA or the city of Atlanta? I kept hollering abut this but it was like the sound of one hand clapping.

As I understand it the new MARTA tax is expected to generate between 2.5 and 3.5 billion dollars over the next 40 years.

That's around $62-87 million a year. How much of that will come from Emory (with its $5.5 billion annual budget)?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM

296 posts, read 220,280 times
Quote:

The Clifton Corridor is a city project. It will provide residents access to 2 major hospitals and the largest employment center that is not currently connected to transit. How is that not a city project?!

Beyond that, the question about how much Emory is contributing in taxes is a fool's errand. I can ask the same question of every other single project on the list. How much is Armour, which is Gravel's suggested alternative, contributing to the taxes?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:

News Flash...
Emory/CDC is in the City of Atlanta.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
News Flash...
Emory/CDC is in the City of Atlanta.
I am aware they are now. So would be parts of every major rail link in the books out there such as commuter rail to Chattanooga, Athens, and Macon. That does not mean any of those should be high priority for the More MARTA funding. If we can get transit funded in the existing RoWs we already own in the city, like the Beltline and have money left over, great. Lets help our regional partners.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM

Also, be aware that even a lot of the Clifton Corridor between Lindberg and Emory is outside the city limits. Basically all of the line between Cheshire Bridge and the CDC is outside the city limits.

Clifton Corridor requires regional partnership & funding. Even for "phase I" between lindberg and Emory. Until that regional partnership & funding is in place other transit projects that already have RoW should be a higher priority.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:

Pages 5-8 show how easy it is to play with numbers and change the rankings of the projects. Different prioritization can give totally different results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta