U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Interesting find of images.

But only one of those trails was busy at the time of the picture. And most were adjacent to a street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:48 AM
bu2

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-high-n852881

"The FRA data concluded that train deaths have grown steadily in the past 10 years, peaking in 2017. The federal agency said that 888 people died due to train-related incidents last year, and 575 of them were considered trespassers, like Stobe."

Both of my Father's grandfathers died from train accidents.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston has had quite a few accidents with its light rail and several killed. And its in the street, not beside a trail. Cyclists and cars have wandered onto the tracks.
Why are you using Houston as an example for the BeltLine, where the light rail will not be operating in mixed traffic?
Quote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...r-high-n852881

"The FRA data concluded that train deaths have grown steadily in the past 10 years, peaking in 2017. The federal agency said that 888 people died due to train-related incidents last year, and 575 of them were considered trespassers, like Stobe."

Both of my Father's grandfathers died from train accidents.
Does it break the numbers down by Freight rail vs LRT vs Subway?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:15 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why are you using Houston as an example for the BeltLine, where the light rail will not be operating in mixed traffic?

Does it break the numbers down by Freight rail vs LRT vs Subway?
As I made the point originally, the Beltline may be worse than a streetcar because pedestrians and cyclists will have a different mentality. Yet even with Houston's streetcar, where people are probably more alert, there are accidents.

In the article, 3/4 of the deaths are from "trespassers," people getting in the railroad ROW. There will be thousands every day crossing the tracks to get to the Beltline.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times
Quote:
Houston has had quite a few accidents with its light rail and several killed. And its in the street, not beside a trail. Cyclists and cars have wandered onto the tracks.
Florida's Brightline has killed at least four, with two in one week. But, these are people wandering or cycling onto the tracks. Just as it's your fault if you get hit by a car wandering into a road where you're not supposed to, it's your fault if you get hit by a train because you wandered onto the tracks. But, the Beltline train will not really be going fast enough to do too much damage to most. And, there's a huge median between the path and the train, and I assume crossings will have signals.

Quote:
The idea is that the beltline is to "connect" neighborhoods. So there will be a lot of people crossing the rail line to get to the trail.
And, assuming they are more than four years old, they should know how to look left, then right, before crossing. And if they are at an official crossing, there should be visual and audible signals alerting people to oncoming trains.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
As I made the point originally, the Beltline may be worse than a streetcar because pedestrians and cyclists will have a different mentality. Yet even with Houston's streetcar, where people are probably more alert, there are accidents.

In the article, 3/4 of the deaths are from "trespassers," people getting in the railroad ROW. There will be thousands every day crossing the tracks to get to the Beltline.
That is your assumption that BeltLine users will be wrost.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,891,298 times
As vote nears, only ‘refinements’ expected for $2.5B More MARTA transit plan

Quote:
Limmer said there will be some “refinements” to the proposed project list, which will be presented at the October MARTA board meeting when More MARTA is set for a vote. Those could include more access in northwest Atlanta in the form of expanded bus service and additional rail station upgrades, he said.

Limmer said survey results showed that the most popular projects are light rail along the Clifton Corridor, along with light rail along the northeast and southwest segments of the Beltline.
That last sentience is such BS as the survey only offered options to vote for existing items on the list. Put the North West and Southside Beltline on the list and see how many votes it draws. Also, how about pulling back on doing both the BRT and LRT planned for Campbellton Rd since the support is not there.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
As vote nears, only ‘refinements’ expected for $2.5B More MARTA transit plan

That last sentience is such BS as the survey only offered options to vote for existing items on the list. Put the North West and Southside Beltline on the list and see how many votes it draws. Also, how about pulling back on doing both the BRT and LRT planned for Campbellton Rd since the support is not there.
I hope part of the refinement is elimination of 1 of the the 2 duplicate transit projects along Campbellton Rd.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM

9,552 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What does that have to do with the thread or you just trying to throw shade on the streetcar?
Look, I had a question. A legitimate one. Some driver whacked a iltility pole this morning and it shut down the streetcar. That is a fact. It is not judgmental at all. Settle the heck down.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Look, I had a question. A legitimate one. Some driver whacked a iltility pole this morning and it shut down the streetcar. That is a fact. It is not judgmental at all. Settle the heck down.
Next time their is a car crash on I-75 NB I'll post my question in the Braves/Cobb County Thread to look for answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or