U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2018, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,382,430 times
Reputation: 2723

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't find it 'glaringly obvious' at all. The Clifton Corridor is the largest employment center in the metro not being served by rail, and is a gateway to the most rapidly densifying quadrant in the metro. This opposed to an only recently realized pipe dream. Priorities. It may not be as 'sexy' as the Beltline in the eyes of many, but it is IMO the wiser choice at this point.

Right, but the Clifton Corridor will happen with or without the More MARTA tax. Because it is an important regional project, it will get regional funding.

The Beltline very likely won't.

So with that, the answer is glaringly obvious. Build a transit line a little quicker or actually put in action a plan to handle Atlanta's growth? The Beltline has far greater implications on the future of our beloved city than the Clifton Corridor, that shouldn't even be a point of debate.

This is not a matter of sexy, this is a matter of planning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,953 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Reputation: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Right, but the Clifton Corridor will happen with or without the More MARTA tax. Because it is an important regional project, it will get regional funding.

The Beltline very likely won't.

So with that, the answer is glaringly obvious. Build a transit line a little quicker or actually put in action a plan to handle Atlanta's growth? The Beltline has far greater implications on the future of our beloved city than the Clifton Corridor, that shouldn't even be a point of debate.
I actually do find it a matter of debate. Kudos for the Beltline, but the Corridor has been waiting in line for a long time. The Beltline, not so much. It will have its day. But not today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,382,430 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I actually do find it a matter of debate. Kudos for the Beltline, but the Corridor has been waiting in line for a long time. The Beltline, not so much. It will have its day. But not today.
So for you, it is more important to expedite this line than to effectively execute a plan to handle Atlanta's inevitable future growth? Maybe you don't fully understand the Beltline concept, but it is the type of planning that Atlanta has lacked for too long. We have paid a severe price thanks to our lack of planning and haphazard development patterns. The Beltline represents a real course correction. And you just want to give that up to build the Clifton Corridor faster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 PM
bu2
 
8,979 posts, read 5,679,048 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
So for you, it is more important to expedite this line than to effectively execute a plan to handle Atlanta's inevitable future growth? Maybe you don't fully understand the Beltline concept, but it is the type of planning that Atlanta has lacked for too long. We have paid a severe price thanks to our lack of planning and haphazard development patterns. The Beltline represents a real course correction. And you just want to give that up to build the Clifton Corridor faster?
In other words, you prefer some long term maybe thing over something that actually needs transit now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,382,430 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In other words, you prefer some long term maybe thing over something that actually needs transit now?
Yes, I prefer the City of Atlanta spend it's own extremely finite money on projects that provide the maximum value to the City of Atlanta. 20 Years from now, expediting the Clifton Corridor at the expense of building out the Beltline will prove to be a short sighted decision.

The Clifton Corridor will be funded, they are just leveraging the city's transit funding to build it quicker.

Again, this is not a choice between building out the Beltline or building the Clifton Corridor. This is a choice between expediting the Clifton Corridor at the expense of building out the Beltline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,953 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Reputation: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
So for you, it is more important to expedite this line than to effectively execute a plan to handle Atlanta's inevitable future growth? Maybe you don't fully understand the Beltline concept, but it is the type of planning that Atlanta has lacked for too long. We have paid a severe price thanks to our lack of planning and haphazard development patterns. The Beltline represents a real course correction. And you just want to give that up to build the Clifton Corridor faster?
I don't find them mutually exclusive; I thought that was clear. I simply think that the original plan that voters supported in the first place should be adhered to. That in itself is no contradiction of my support of Beltline transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,244 posts, read 4,382,430 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't find them mutually exclusive; I thought that was clear. I simply think that the original plan that voters supported in the first place should be adhered to. That in itself is no contradiction of my support of Beltline transit.
Great! Lets stick to the original plan. Pulled directly from the original plan currently on MARTA's More MARTA tax website...



The choice between Beltline transit and expediting the Clifton Corridor is mutually exclusive. The original plan had a large list of transit projects, all of which could not be funded with this tax. Choosing a project eliminates other projects.

Just to be clear, I'm not against building the Clifton Corridor, I think it's a very worthy project. The problem is the way it is funded. And hell, I don't mind some of the More MARTA tax going to contribute to the CC. But the way this is playing out, Atlanta will be covering the majority of local funding for this project. A project that, up until a few months ago, barely had a footprint in the CoA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,953 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Reputation: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Great! Lets stick to the original plan. Pulled directly from the original plan currently on MARTA's More MARTA tax website...



The choice between Beltline transit and expediting the Clifton Corridor is mutually exclusive. The original plan had a large list of transit projects, all of which could not be funded with this tax. Choosing a project eliminates other projects.

Just to be clear, I'm not against building the Clifton Corridor, I think it's a very worthy project. The problem is the way it is funded. And hell, I don't mind some of the More MARTA tax going to contribute to the CC. But the way this is playing out, Atlanta will be covering the majority of local funding for this project. A project that, up until a few months ago, barely had a footprint in the CoA.
So you make it sound as if implementation of the Corridor project precludes any prospect for transportation on the Beltline, which I believe to be erroneous. Besides, the Beltline seems to be thriving without the presence of streetcars, so I don't believe that delaying that phase of the project will torpedo Beltline progress itself.
I'll just conclude by saying I am pleased by the direction in which things are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 AM
 
4,241 posts, read 2,827,187 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I don't find it 'glaringly obvious' at all. The Clifton Corridor is the largest employment center in the metro not being served by rail,
It is? The Clifton Corridor is larger than Cumberland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,953 posts, read 32,944,970 times
Reputation: 12609
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It is? The Clifton Corridor is larger than Cumberland?
Not sure, but I believe they were referring to areas currently eligible for MARTA rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top