Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 09:24 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times

Advertisements

https://www.myajc.com/news/local-gov...7826JemL087rJ/

The AJC reports that the new MARTA lines will include the so-called Clifton Corridor, linking the Avondale station east of Decatur with the Lindbergh Center station in north Atlanta. It would provide relief to one of metro Atlanta's more congested areas, creating MARTA rail service to Emory Univeristy, Emory Hospital, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Children's Healthcare and the Veteran's Administration Hospital near Decatur.

Since then, employees have evaluated dozens of potential projects that would cost a combined $11.5 billion. The proposed final list includes:

The four-mile Clifton Corridor light rail line from MARTA’s Lindbergh station to the Emory University/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention area recently annexed by Atlanta.
A light rail system stretching from the Clifton Corridor to Campbelltown Road in southwest Atlanta. The network includes the northeast and southwest portions of the proposed Beltline Loop, plus a connecting link through downtown along the existing Atlanta Streetcar route. The streetcar would become part of the light rail network.
Bus rapid transit lines on Capitol Avenue, North Avenue and Northside Drive. MARTA also would initially deploy bus rapid transit along Campbellton Road before upgrading the line to light rail. The buses may operate in their own lanes, making the service faster than local bus service.
Three arterial rapid transit bus lines, which would operate in regular traffic but may get priority at traffic signals and other enhancements to keep them moving.
New bus transfer centers at Greenbriar Mall in southwest Atlanta and Marietta Boulevard in northwest Atlanta, plus numerous enhancements to existing MARTA rail stations.

Last edited by fieldm; 05-11-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I wonder if Ryan Gravel is ever going be like, "screw all of you!" and move away from Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
I disagree with Gravel about completing loop over Clifton lightrail. Emory students are disconnected from Atlanta and most don't have a car, this would help them access the city. It would also create an option to alleviate traffic in such a horrible congested area for all of the employees (Emory, VA, CDC).

If we are going to cut lightrail from somewhere to complete the beltline loop, it should be all of the SW lightrail. That area really isn't that dense and they already have pretty good heavy rail access there.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:11 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
I wonder which version is better for the CC. Alternative 1 or 2?

Public hearings set for Clifton Corridor rail | Decaturish - Locally sourced news

Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 PM

296 posts, read 220,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

Public hearings set for Clifton Corridor rail | Decaturish - Locally sourced news
I prefer Alternate 1. It puts a stop right at the hospital, which provides access both to employment and healthcare. Good for everyone to have as many healthcare facilities accessible by transit as possible. The upside of Alternate 2 is that it puts a stop closer to the VA hospital, but I don’t think they serve nearly as many people, and a circulator shuttle would be easy enough, especially if they could run to through Emory’s park to Claremont like the Emory shuttles do.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:12 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I disagree with Gravel about completing loop over Clifton lightrail. Emory students are disconnected from Atlanta and most don't have a car, this would help them access the city. It would also create an option to alleviate traffic in such a horrible congested area for all of the employees (Emory, VA, CDC).

If we are going to cut lightrail from somewhere to complete the beltline loop, it should be all of the SW lightrail. That area really isn't that dense and they already have pretty good heavy rail access there.
I agree with this. We should complete the loop AND Clifton. As for Campbellton Rd in the SW, it can wait or just stick with BRT. I think that one is the mayor's idea because she really cares about that area.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I agree with this. We should complete the loop AND Clifton. As for Campbellton Rd in the SW, it can wait or just stick with BRT. I think that one is the mayor's idea because she really cares about that area.
Agreed. Campbellton Rd is not a good candidate for light rail, the population density is WAY too low, especially as you get further out. There is no need for a transit alternative that carries such a large number of people. However, that area would be great for a BRT route. There are likely a lot of people that would use it, and if it is in its own lane, it will move just as fast as light rail. The streetcars need to stick to the crosstown midtown/downtown lines and the beltline right now.

Obviously, a light rail route is needed out to the Emory/CDC area. However, I will say it peeves me a bit that we voted for this before Emory was a part of the CoA, and they annexed specifically to get rail once the TSPLOST passed. That money could be well-spent in the rest of the CoA.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:16 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

Those aren't the exact alternatives anymore. They're looking at what they call alternatives 6 and 7 (respectively): https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg
My preference is definitely 7 as all but a few hundred feet are elevated, underground, or just not on a road.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Those aren't the exact alternatives anymore. They're looking at what they call alternatives 6 and 7 (respectively): https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg https://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedIma...%202017(1).jpg
My preference is definitely 7 as all but a few hundred feet are elevated, underground, or just not on a road.
Same here. Deal with car traffic as little as possible, please.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:42 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I wonder if Ryan Gravel is ever going be like, "screw all of you!" and move away from Atlanta.
If he does, so be it. He's coming off like a petulant child here.
If anyone was shortchanged, it was the Clifton Corridor. They were slated for HRT in MARTA's original plan, but the plan was kiboshed in favor of Bankhead (still IMO a pretty shortsighted move).
Rail will come to encircle the Beltline, I believe; just not right away. Rome wasn't built in a day, Ryan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta