Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:37 PM

11,714 posts, read 7,904,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Same here. Deal with car traffic as little as possible, please.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Omg...totally #7. Smart.

Only things...

1. I think this should be heavy-rail.
2. After Emory, it should curve up towards Emory-Clairmont, and North Druid Hill along the RoW. And then eventually to Northlake.
I agree. and like aries stated, I am also wondering why #7 could not be a heavy rail corridoor.. My only slight suspicion is the sharp curves but surely more tunneling could rectify that.

But in either case its still better than nothing.

It "looks" like there may be at-grade crossings with cross streets in either plan however... Although I'm not against this (many light rails throughout many metro's are not grade separated.).

I personally feel this needs to be a Heavy Rail however...BUT ON THE SAME TOKEN, if it opens up more connecting light rail considerations into the suburbs to connect to the metro, I am more than open for that...yet I still wish we could make more effiicent use of our existing railroads for commuter rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
You mean the City of Atlanta might eventually someday get a couple of the light rail projects that they've been paying for for 2 1/2 years, that were in the project list 2 1/2 years ago?

How/why the f is this suddenly news? And why did we need a new thread on this?
In respect, I will state if something happens in the near future, 2.5 years is hardly anything in respect to the magnitude of the project, it would be pretty progressive and pretty quick in the grand scheme of things.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:54 PM
bu2

23,974 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
I prefer Alternate 1. It puts a stop right at the hospital, which provides access both to employment and healthcare. Good for everyone to have as many healthcare facilities accessible by transit as possible. The upside of Alternate 2 is that it puts a stop closer to the VA hospital, but I don’t think they serve nearly as many people, and a circulator shuttle would be easy enough, especially if they could run to through Emory’s park to Claremont like the Emory shuttles do.
I think you have your numbers reversed.

I thought they should have followed option 1 which went near the VA. It also goes by the Emory dorms and Athletic facility so you have a mass group of riders there. Option 2's stop was only a couple blocks closer to the hospital.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:57 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Omg...totally #7. Smart.

Only things...

1. I think this should be heavy-rail.
2. After Emory, it should curve up towards Emory-Clairmont, and North Druid Hill along the RoW. And then eventually to Northlake.
Definitely should be heavy rail Original analysis showed most riders coming from Northeast and Southeast. A heavy rail that continued past Lindberg to Doraville would pick up those northeast riders. Southeast can ride in from Avondale.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
&

I agree. and like aries stated, I am also wondering why #7 could not be a heavy rail corridoor.. My only slight suspicion is the sharp curves but surely more tunneling could rectify that.

But in either case its still better than nothing.

It "looks" like there may be at-grade crossings with cross streets in either plan however... Although I'm not against this (many light rails throughout many metro's are not grade separated.).

I personally feel this needs to be a Heavy Rail however...BUT ON THE SAME TOKEN, if it opens up more connecting light rail considerations into the suburbs to connect to the metro, I am more than open for that...yet I still wish we could make more effiicent use of our existing railroads for commuter rail.

In respect, I will state if something happens in the near future, 2.5 years is hardly anything in respect to the magnitude of the project, it would be pretty progressive and pretty quick in the grand scheme of things.
I think its a case of a mindless bureaucracy. Originally they proposed HRT. NIMBYs cried-and they really didn't want any rail in their backyard at all, even though there already is freight rail. So they changed to light rail.

In this last iteration they have driven the cost up to $230 million a mile but still apparently didn't do another serious look at HRT. Its in the options, but its not analyzed as thoroughly as they did originally in 2010.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:52 AM

6,395 posts, read 11,931,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I wonder if Ryan Gravel is ever going be like, "screw all of you!" and move away from Atlanta.
Maybe he'll move to Tokyo, lol

Old 05-13-2018, 08:10 AM

11,714 posts, read 7,904,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Maybe he'll move to Tokyo, lol
asside from the Earthquakes and extreme COL, living in Tokyo would be awesome.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:48 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
They already run their own shuttle through there, and they’d have a hard time keeping people from riding it and then walking part way up the hill to the VA hospital.
A CLIFF shuttle on the driveway of their own property is one thing; running a rail system through pristine and highly esteemed parkland is another.
And how on earth is Emory sending a shuttle bus through the permanent barrier at the front gate? It looks to me like it's designed to only allow an automobile to pass through. Furthermore, why are they sending shuttles to the door of the President's private residence?

Old 05-13-2018, 10:19 AM

296 posts, read 219,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
A CLIFF shuttle on the driveway of their own property is one thing; running a rail system through pristine and highly esteemed parkland is another.
And how on earth is Emory sending a shuttle bus through the permanent barrier at the front gate? It looks to me like it's designed to only allow an automobile to pass through. Furthermore, why are they sending shuttles to the door of the President's private residence?
I think we are talking past each other--and largely because I wasn't clear what I was thinking. I agree that there is zero chance the Clifton Corridor rail will go through Lullwater Preserve (I had a brain fart and was using the wrong name by calling it Lullwater Park earlier). I don't think it was ever seriously considered, and it definitely isn't one of the options now.

I was suggesting a shuttle bus/van that goes from one of the Clifton Corridor rail stops (e.g. the Emory to the VA hospital. It could go around campus to get there--using either North Decatur or Houston Mill-Mason Mill--but it would be faster and could run more frequently if it used the shuttle driveway that runs to the Clairmont Campus. It's been ~15 years since I was at Emory regularly, so I had forgotten that it is technically called Starvine Way and isn't just a driveway. When I was there last, it is a effectively private drive because of the gate that the CLIFF shuttles can open remotely. Eventually a circulator could completely avoid Emory and use the North Decatur-Clairmont station/stop.

It looks like Emory already runs a shuttle to the VA so medical staff can get back and forth--I'm guessing a lot of medical and nursing students, residents, fellows, and some surgeons and attending physicians work at both hospitals. It's the 1525-BA loop. I doubt Emory would ever run a shuttle designed for patients, but they might be willing to let the VA or MARTA operate one that uses Starvine.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:04 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,315,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
asside from the Earthquakes and extreme COL, living in Tokyo would be awesome.
Tokyo COL really isn't that bad.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:41 PM

6,395 posts, read 11,931,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Tokyo COL really isn't that bad.
The only thing really stopping me from living in Tokyo is not being a Japanese citizen, or not being married to one. The COL is actually not bad compared to the "supposedly best places to live in the United States", such as NY, California, or Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta