U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 01:57 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times

Advertisements

It all depends on your priorities.

Some people would say they'd rather spend the money on lifestyle now and have a house in the city if they prefer that lifestyle. Others would say they'd rather drive a bit more now, but take a lot more great trips or invest the money and retire a few years earlier.

It's just totally personal, which is why you have some people living in the suburbs who could easily afford the city if they wanted to, and vice versa. Many people might say if they had $750k to spend on a house, they would live in a different city.

As for housing values, you could make the argument that investing in a house is a solid investment. That's true....but only if you have a long horizon. But more importantly, if you get to decide WHEN to get out of your house. Real estate busts impact everything. That's why in 2006 and 2007, you could get a new construction 1-bedroom condo in Midtown or Buckhead for $150-$200k (less, in some instances). Could values go that low again? Of course they could. If you don't have to get out when they do, it's no problem...just wait for them to come back up. But if it happens on your 65th birthday, when you planned to cash out and move to Palm Springs, you may be stuck for a few more years.

There's no crystal ball. For housing, it's almost impossible to look at things in terms of investment. The best thing is to select a home that fits what you want, without cutting into the disposable income you have for other things that are important to your quality of life.

In closing, nobody on this board (or in life) can answer that question for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:11 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
So how does living a "car free" life styles save thousands of dollars? Im guessing you mean over many years you save thousands of dollars. walking everywhere would lead to better health, but I'm not sure how practical that is, especially in the summer and in the Atlanta heat. I can see walking a 1 1/2 miles to the doctor, but what about when you want to show up to work with being really sweaty. And how exactly do people carry lots of groceries when they walk home? At the end of the day Atlanta is still a sunbelt city and sprawled out even in its most urban parts.
AAA estimates car ownership costs $8500 a year; https://newsroom.aaa.com/auto/your-driving-costs/
Quote:
“Determining the cost of a new vehicle car is more than calculating a monthly payment,” cautioned John Nielsen, AAA’s managing director of Automotive Engineering and Repair. “While sales price is certainly a factor, depreciation, maintenance, repair and fuel costs should be equally important considerations for anyone in the market for a new vehicle.”
It is possible to live car free in Atlanta, but it takes a combo of living in the right built environment and will.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:55 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,032,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Isn't everything walkable if you have the time?
Exactly! Even if I lived in Atlanta (or very near to it), I'd still want a car because a lot of my friends live in the burbs and ain't nobody got time to be paying upteen bucks for a lift.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,032,961 times
Quote:
So how does living a "car free" life styles save thousands of dollars? Im guessing you mean over many years you save thousands of dollars. walking everywhere would lead to better health, but I'm not sure how practical that is, especially in the summer and in the Atlanta heat. I can see walking a 1 1/2 miles to the doctor, but what about when you want to show up to work with being really sweaty. And how exactly do people carry lots of groceries when they walk home? At the end of the day Atlanta is still a sunbelt city and sprawled out even in its most urban parts.

For the guy that said in town real estate is the best investment, you're right. While suburbs stagnate or lose value, most of the time intown real estate will hold or appreciate to the point where it becomes too expensive, i.e a million dollars for a 3/2. I honestly think in the future people are gonna use how "close" you live to the city core as a measure of wealth, it use to be how big your house was. You already see this in places like NY where a "park west" address signals to people that you are pretty wealthy, even if you only live in a small outdated 1 bed 1 bath condo.
1) It saves money if you mainly do things in Atlanta. If you have friends/family outside of Atlanta you like to see a few times out of the week, you wouldn't be saving money. If you like to attend events in Dekalb, Cobb, or Gwinnett, you probably wouldn't save money. A lot of people in Atlanta don't like to leave the city. It's so weird and if you don't live in the city, it's like wtf are you hahah.

2) I used to show up to work sweaty and it's embarrassing. I guess one could carry wipes but still, you wouldn't be clean. You'd just smell clean. I also used to have to carry a ton of groceries via walking and bus. I can tell you that if you're not a huge person, carrying groceries can be daunting as it "gets heavier" the longer you walk.

3) You're right. I've also seen this in other countries.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,983,890 times
Quote:

For the guy that said in town real estate is the best investment, you're right. While suburbs stagnate or lose value, most of the time intown real estate will hold or appreciate to the point where it becomes too expensive, i.e a million dollars for a 3/2. I honestly think in the future people are gonna use how "close" you live to the city core as a measure of wealth, it use to be how big your house was. You already see this in places like NY where a "park west" address signals to people that you are pretty wealthy, even if you only live in a small outdated 1 bed 1 bath condo.
Car payments....maintenance costs....gas....and

auto insurance ….(Atlanta's auto-insurance rates among nation's highest due to prevalence of suing/injury attorneys selling their services as a normal path to receiving income at everyone's expense)

is the 2nd highest monthly expense for most people....

You save on cabs, uber also if most of your destinations are within walking distance.

Rent is getting to be a problem though, but mortgage payments are lower on comparable sized condos.

So YES, a car-free existence supplemented by our heavy rail transit, SAVES THOUSANDS PER YEAR!

Ikea, and Target are within walking distance if you have about 45 minutes (each way).

PUBLIC SCHOOLS are a negative for some people in midtown if that's a consideration for you.

Atlanta's extra congestion on roads make walking & totally avoiding all that time sitting in traffic on your precious little free time and weekends...
PRICELESS.

And finally TIME..... the hour spent sitting in traffic everyday that could have been spent with family or spent doing something that you love...
Is worth a lot and should be taken into consideration when deciding how far out you want to live.

Jes my opinion

Last edited by architect77; 05-14-2018 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 05:56 PM

These are good thoughts, but just to offer a counter-opinion....

Quote:
You save on cabs, uber also if most of your destinations are within walking distance.
Yes, but never will ALL of your destinations be withing walking distance, so expect to spend more on cabs and uber than someone who has a vehicle. Just sayin.

Quote:
Ikea, and Target are within walking distance if you have about 45 minutes (each way).
But God help you if you actually want to buy anything at Ikea, or more items than you can comfortably carry from Target.

Quote:
Atlanta's extra congestion on roads make walking & totally avoiding all that time sitting in traffic on your precious little free time and weekends...
PRICELESS.
Maybe, but who wants to limit what they can and can't do on weekends to where they can walk or take MARTA? For a lot of people, weekends are the time to get the heck out of town...or at the very least, out of their comfort zones.

Just depends on how you live, might not be important to some people.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM

122 posts, read 61,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

So YES, a car-free existence supplemented by our heavy rail transit, SAVES THOUSANDS PER YEAR!

PUBLIC SCHOOLS are a negative for some people in midtown if that's a consideration for you.

That's assuming you are making car payments. Personally, I just always bought reliable used cars for ~ 3k that would last for 5-6 years, so I don't know about car payments. Repairs were also usually minor too.

You know, education is an iffy thing, my philosophy tends to be that a good student can excel in life if they attend a decent school, the school doesn't have to be great. Then again I have seen over and over again kids out compete other kids simply because their parents put them in elite education early in life, so IDK. Elite education definitely makes things easier, but a determined kid can succeed if they have decent schooling.

Last edited by kgpremed13; 05-14-2018 at 06:28 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 06:42 PM

4,240 posts, read 2,816,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Car payments....maintenance costs....gas....and

auto insurance ….(Atlanta's auto-insurance rates among nation's highest due to prevalence of suing/injury attorneys selling their services as a normal path to receiving income at everyone's expense)

is the 2nd highest monthly expense for most people....
Sure. My car-related costs last year were about $5,700 per car (two cars), and we drive a lot. That includes all gas, maintenance, parking, insurance, tolls, and loan payments. If you take out the loan payment, the cost per car was about $4,200 per car, or about $11.50 per day.

Quote:
[color="Red"]So YES, a car-free existence supplemented by our heavy rail transit, SAVES THOUSANDS PER YEAR!
As cq said...this is viable IF you manage to find a home and a job on a MARTA rail route, have a couple of hours of spare time per day to use MARTA bus, or carefully craft your life to fit into the available transportation options.

Quote:
Most of the Grady cluster is pretty good. Inman is by far the best-performing Middle School, Grady is near the top of high schools, and most of the elementary schools do quite well. Just don't live south of North in the Hope Hill district.

Quote:
Atlanta's extra congestion on roads make walking & totally avoiding all that time sitting in traffic on your precious little free time and weekends...PRICELESS

And finally TIME..... the hour spent sitting in traffic everyday that could have been spent with family or spent doing something that you love...
Is worth a lot and should be taken into consideration when deciding how far out you want to live.

Jes my opinion
You can live a car-centric lifestyle near town or on the edge of city limits and still not spend all your time sitting in traffic. My commute is 10-14 miles depending on route, right through midtown/downtown, and the longest it has ever taken me is 31 minutes. Fastest is 16 minutes, and average is 22. Couldn't get very far on transit or walking in that time. Now, my commute back and forth from Norcross could take a while at the height of afternoon rush hour. Maybe an hour.

You absolutely have to weigh the positives and negatives against what you want the most and pick what works best for you.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM

You can also live intown without giving up a car entirely.

If you don't drive it much, it won't cost much. And if you get an electric car, it will cost even less as they don't require oil changes or other maintenance that gas cars do.

I don't advocate a car-centric life (even though I lead one, I would do it less if I could.) But I kind of do think it's a good idea for most people to keep some sort of car around for buying groceries, road trips, etc. I mean, even something as simple as stubbing a toe or tearing an ACL can make walking problematic. I just don't think I could give up a car completely, and living intown doesn't mean you have to.

I'm not even sure how being car-free entered the picture since the OP never asked about it. Just part of the agenda of a handful of the posters here, but still very much the minority in our metro and intown as well.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 PM

14,930 posts, read 26,631,362 times
So, to get back on topic: is living in Midtown, Grant Park, OFW worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or