U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,329 times

Advertisements

I have read quite a bit on here already, so I thought I should pose a question. I'm considering a new job in Athens, however my other half would transfer offices to around the Dunwoody/Alpharetta area near 19 and 285. He would only (potentially) go to the office 3 days a week. Is this doable? And if the commute increased to 5 days a week, would it be absolutely life draining? We're aiming to be more co-located with our careers as he lives 3 hours from the family now in a city apartment during the week which isn't ideal with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 PM

445 posts, read 148,832 times
You can set departure or arrival times on Google Maps directions.

Athens to Perimeter would be an average of 2.5 hr each way +/- an hour or so depending on daily variables. I wouldn't wish that on someone I hate.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,329 times
I see what you mean JayHey about plugging in the commute times on google maps. Looks like an atrocious commute!

So, where to live then? Suwanee? What would others recommend we do? I thought that maybe we could live in Suwanee and I could have a small crash pad in Athens to use if needed.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:03 AM

9,534 posts, read 19,402,289 times
It might be better for you and your husband to reconsider your employment options. Can you live on one income? If so, live there.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM

5,357 posts, read 4,883,814 times
You should probably ask that this thread be reposted in the Atlanta forum so that it might get more (many more) replies.

The Atlanta forum posters probably would LOVE to reply to this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisou_cherub View Post
I have read quite a bit on here already, so I thought I should pose a question. I'm considering a new job in Athens, however my other half would transfer offices to around the Dunwoody/Alpharetta area near 19 and 285. He would only (potentially) go to the office 3 days a week. Is this doable? And if the commute increased to 5 days a week, would it be absolutely life draining? We're aiming to be more co-located with our careers as he lives 3 hours from the family now in a city apartment during the week which isn't ideal with kids.
A commute from Athens to Perimeter Center would indeed be "absolutely life-draining," particularly because of the severely-congested routes that would be involved (Georgia 316 westbound to I-85 southbound to the Top End I-285 Perimeter westbound, and vice-versa in the afternoon/evening) in the commute.

Those portions of I-85 Northeast and the Top End I-285 Perimeter are delay-prone routes that are notorious for their traffic congestion (as well for their gridlock-inducing traffic incidents) during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours and even on some weekends.

An Athens-to-Perimeter Center commute (and vice-versa in the afternoon/evening) is very strongly discouraged.

Spending up to 6 hours-plus of one's day commuting to and from work would absolutely be a "life-draining," soul-sucking experience that one should aim to avoid at all costs if possible.

Quote:
I see what you mean JayHey about plugging in the commute times on google maps. Looks like an atrocious commute!

So, where to live then? Suwanee? What would others recommend we do? I thought that maybe we could live in Suwanee and I could have a small crash pad in Athens to use if needed.
A Suwanee-to-Perimeter Center commute would be no 'piece of cake' either by way of busy commuter routes like Peachtree Industrial Boulevard and/or the aforementioned I-85 Northeast (your husband would still be looking at upwards of 1.5-2 hours each way on the worst traffic days), though it would not be anywhere near as rough of a commute as an Athens-to-Perimeter Center commute.

Meanwhile, your commute between Suwanee and Athens would be about at least an hour or so each way mostly by way of a route like Georgia 316 which has a few safety issues of its own being a road with a 65 mph speed limit (where violations often are not enforced until speeds of over 80 mph are reached) and dangerous at-grade intersections.

If there is any way that both of you might be able to find jobs that were located closer to each other in an Atlanta metropolitan region that is notorious for traffic congestion and gridlock generated by long delays after serious traffic incidents, you should probably pursue that option if possible.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:53 AM

533 posts, read 277,080 times
I think it comes down to whether you prefer to spend your family time-- in a bustling metropolis like Atlanta or in a college town like Athens.

If it were me, I would probably buy a family home in Athens and get a crash pad for hubby near his job in Perimeter since he only has to be in the office 3 days out of the week. We prefer a more suburban environment for our children.

But if you think your family will be spending a great deal of time in activities in Atlanta, I'd get the family home there and rent/buy smaller in Athens.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:51 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post

If it were me, I would probably buy a family home in Athens and get a crash pad for hubby near his job in Perimeter since he only has to be in the office 3 days out of the week.
This is what I would do, too, but I'm not particularly familiar with the types of amenities Athens offers for young children. Seems to me Athens would have a slower pace, which is more conducive to family time than all the "hurry up and wait" we have in Atlanta, particularly in the northern suburbs, thanks to congestion.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:42 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
We could afford one main house and a crash pad setup. Or we could afford one main house either in the Atlanta city or burbs and rent a place (or rely on hotel rooms) in the other location. Obviously it would be cheaper to own closer to Atlanta and rent or buy a small place in Athens. Or we could make my life easier and have a larger family home near Athens and a rented place in Atlanta. Better yet, we just have one family home and we all live there 100% of the time.
Quote:
We have younger children ages 7-13. I prefer public schools but am not averse to private.
I'm not following the logic behind the bolded statement. If there is a premium for Athens-area homes over those in the north Atlanta metro, I'm not aware of it.
To me, it would be ideal to be under the same roof all of the time, but your compromise is your commute, of course. I have known couples that were in your situation where one is doing a UGA gig and the other commuting to Atlanta. Advantageous for you is that the Atlanta job is on the "Athens" side of the metro.
I would look at some of the far eastern suburbs in Atlanta that afford reasonable access to SR316 (the freeway to Athens) ie Suwanee, Buford, Dacula or Lawrenceville. I particularly like Suwanee, which checks a lot of the boxes for someone looking for family-oriented amenities.
If you want to base yourself in Athens, I would steer clear of Clarke County schools as they don't enjoy the best reputation. Many UGA families opt for Oconee County (Watkinsville) just south of Athens, as the school system is much better regarded.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:58 AM

1,947 posts, read 1,637,588 times
Lived in Athens (Oconee County) with kids, and now live in Atlanta. I would buy a place in Oconee County off of 316. The schools are great and the houses are nice. The commute to the University is pretty quick and easy. There is tons to do for kids (in Athens, the University, and Oconee), and it is much cheaper and easier to get to those things than Atlanta. The only downside to Oconee county is that it is not that diverse (but not lilly-white either), but you do need to be aware of the type of ideas your kids may soak up there. The schools in Athens-Clarke-County are more uneven/less highly regarded, but I have friends that are very happy with them—but you will also be further from the interstate with Athens-Calrke County. If you want more info about the area PM me—or continue on this thread.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
if you've ever had a dream of living in a historic house in a small town... well, there are a lot of those within driving distance to athens. Jefferson, Braselton/Hoschton, Talmo, Madison. if you're not really into new construction and really want peace and quiet it might be something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or