U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM

1,493 posts, read 336,333 times

Advertisements

One day I'll be moving here. But that's a conversation for a later thread. Until then...

Will be staying near Lenox Square, looking for recommendations for a few types of restaurants I want to try:

- Steakhouse
- Sushi
- Southern
- Breakfast / Brunch
- Local coffee (normally a Starbucks brewed coffee drinker)
- Any cool eclectic bars

I want to be able to make reservations, I'm not the kind to wait with 100 other people for 1-2 hours just to be seated. Same goes for a brunch spot. It's become popular with breakfast joints in my area to make people line up and order at a counter, but the waitress brings your food to your table, only to find that there's no place to sit when your food is ready. I abhor it.

Upscale is okay, the individualized service is as important as the food itself. Distance isn't really too much of a concern, I will have been all over the city by the time I head back home.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 04:04 PM

1,868 posts, read 4,561,601 times
Steakhouse=Bones. Hands down best in Buckhead. Some will say Chops, but they are wrong, LOL.

Bones Homepage

For Southern, I like Horseradish Grill (near Chastain Park) and Blue Ridge Grill (near W. Paces Ferry and Northside Parkway).

http://www.horseradishgrill.com/

http://blueridgegrill.com/

Last edited by CMMom; 05-17-2018 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 04:50 PM

134 posts, read 88,893 times
Yeah Bones is the best steakhouse. But if you're looking for a well priced steak check out Highland Tap.

For Southern it's JCT or Colonnade.

Breakfast is Homegrown.

Local coffee is dancing goats or hodgepodge.

Bar/Vibe is Bon Ton, 8 Arm, or SOS in Decatur!

Old 05-18-2018, 08:01 AM

9,567 posts, read 8,639,816 times
Chops for steak.

Empire State South for upscale southern. Mary Mac’s for home cooking southern.

Brunch - My Eggs Benedict

Bar - not familiar with those.

Have fun!!!!

Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 AM

3,208 posts, read 4,511,706 times
I don't really like steak but I've eaten at all the big Atlanta steakhouses and for me Marcel's is a far better experience than Bones. Bones is a stuffy restaurant for old people and expense accounts. Marcel's is actually cool and interesting. I would consider actually spending my own dollars there despite not liking steak.

For bars, Atlanta is way more about neighborhoods than individual bars--often the entire neighborhood has a vibe, rather than just a particular bar. Also what time you plan on going out. If you want like an evening cocktail then my advice will be much different than if you're wanting an actual night on the town.

Southern: JCT or Empire State South. But these are fancy, nice, new southern restaurants, not old holes in the wall or basic eateries.

There are also some notable bars in the vicinity of JCT: JCT's upstairs bar (live music, trains passing constantly, cool vibe), Ormsby's (games downstairs, but gets obnoxious past 11), Little Trouble (hip place with Asian food and industrial decor), and Northside Tavern (live jazz/dive bar, landmark establishment but watch out, you can smoke in this bar and the bathrooms are atrocious if these sorts of things bother you). (Note: Marcel's is also in this area; it's home to a lot of Atlanta's notable restaurants, although it's managed to keep a cool vibe despite all the establishments that draw non-locals.)

Definitely visit Krog Street Market at some point and walk the Eastside Beltline. For good food and an interesting neighborhood I would definitely check out Carroll Street Cafe in Cabbagetown. Very good vibe in that part of town.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:06 AM
bu2

8,979 posts, read 5,682,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Steakhouse=Bones. Hands down best in Buckhead. Some will say Chops, but they are wrong, LOL.

Bones Homepage

For Southern, I like Horseradish Grill (near Chastain Park) and Blue Ridge Grill (near W. Paces Ferry and Northside Parkway).

Horseradish Grill

Blue Ridge Grill | Atlanta, GA
Definitely Bones for steak.

For upscale southern, try South City Kitchen in midtown.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,760,289 times
I love Highland Tap. I always get their prime rib there. welcome If you are going to be in Virginia-Highland, head over to paolosgelato for gelato. I also love Goin' Coastal Seafood which is next door to the gelato shop.

Sushi:
AtlantaSushiBar - Sushi Hayakawa - Atlanta Sushi Bar

But I had a better dinner at brushatl

Brunch:
I second Home Grown

Sun in my Belly | Glorious Food + Event Design

I will also second Home - South City Kitchen Midtown

Have a coffee at https://www.batdorfcoffee.com/ and then go explore Ponce City Market

Friends of mine report back that they
had excellent cocktails at https://www.whitebullatl.com/menus/prescriptions and We will be open normal hours on Mother's Day, May 13th but they are not strictly a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or