U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM

1,287 posts, read 554,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

You don't have to live specifically in but some where retaliative close area.

What I mean is people who live in Paulding County but work in Gwinnett or live in Forsyth County but work Downtown. Million of people do this and if why traffic is the way it is.

Yes, You not force to take any Job, and if you really want it, you can relocate if it's far and bad commute.

Of corse you can commute far but you also be choosing traffic. it has nothing to do with me it's your choice. The Issues is yall not accepting the cons to yall own choice.

Again isn't break though concept, no one is doing these super commute but Americans. Every where else this is practical logic. The issues Americans want want the pros of living a lifestyle but don't want the cons of that lifestyle.

Did you not read a single sentence of what I replied to you?

-- It has EVERYTHING to do with you... because you have this fantasy that everyone can just relocate and dislocate their lives just to suit your idealistic world...you are the issue. Not Atlantan's. You.

-- Okay fine I don't take a job because its not where I want to work..oh crap..who's paying the rent? who's paying for food? what if my next offer doesn't come for several months? ..WHAT IF I WORK IN A SPECIALIZED FIELD? If you're a doctor..you only get so many areas you can work in, specifically...a hospital. If you're in IT, you're practically limited to North Fulton, Cobb and Gwinnett.

And if I lose my job or get laid off magically I have control over that right?.. dude...wake up and get in the 21st century.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM

22,756 posts, read 16,755,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
What happens if they buy the cheaper house in Gwinnett and get a new job in Midtown?

What do they do if they have a spouse that works in Duluth?
Ride Xpress bus into Midtown.
Quote:
-- Okay fine I don't take a job because its not where I want to work..oh crap..who's paying the rent? who's paying for food? what if my next offer doesn't come for several months? ..WHAT IF I WORK IN A SPECIALIZED FIELD? If you're a doctor..you only get so many areas you can work in, specifically...a hospital. If you're in IT, you're practically limited to North Fulton, Cobb and Gwinnett.
Well that's just not true. There are plenty of IT jobs all over metro Atlanta. Midtown is a booming tech area and even Downtown has IT jobs. Then again, some IT 100% work from home unless traveling.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 AM

4,369 posts, read 4,248,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
People have made a choice. But then some people want to make a choice for them and make it even more difficult by taking out roads that already exist. And then to not account for growth in those areas.
You can make a personal choice about where you live, but your not entitle to tell another neighborhood how develop.

If another neighborhood wants to become pedestrian friendly and less car orient it's with in their right to do so cause it's their neighborhood.

This is why I brought up entitlement, but there a sense entitle that other neighborhoods most given into your suburban lifestyle.

Quote:
And I don't see the analogy between DC and Atlanta. DC has a nice grid. In any event, their subway is falling apart even though it is subsidized by the federal government and they have all those 8-5 government jobs which make mass transit easier to use.
DC city is a grid, DC metro area isn't.

LA, Chicago, Houston, DFW, Phoenix metros are largely a grid

NY, Boston, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh are not grids. basically But Piedmont and Northeast cities aren't.

Atlanta is built like a less dense version of Boston and DC

Houston, and DFW are built like a less dense version of LA.

Atlanta can never follow the path of Houston, and DFW because Atlanta is not a grid, What Atlanta can do is look at Boston and DC how they manage.

But it's pointless crying over how Atlanta is not like Houston.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 AM

2,497 posts, read 1,188,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just adding my $0.02 here...

As for reducing lanes, this isn't going to work especially without a sufficient transit network. Also keep in mind that even when transit is available, transit will never ever beable to suit everyones lifestyle and needs especially for families with children, there are many people who simply put HAVE to drive.

As for Atlanta's road network, and lane capacity comparisons to other metros... As Sami was stating, Atlanta is designed much differently than many major metros in the aspect that its extremely sprawled and its fairly rural in sections between.

I went to Houston about 3 times within the last 3 weeks and although Im not a huge Houston fan, I have to give them props on their highway network...

In Atlanta, it would be Saturday or Sunday, I would leave Gwinnett at around 11am, to hit I-85 and between GA-316 and I-285 its gridlock and a standstill...ON A WEEKEND...and this isnt happening just once or twice this is every single weekend... same goes for I-285 top end and west side...

Houston wasn't fun driving through during Rush Hour at all...but their highways were more than ample to handle weekend traffic...and even if one wasn't, there was always atleast three other routes you could take.

Atlanta does need higher capacity transit and more transit options without a single doubt, but don't begin to believe that reducing road capacity is suddenly going to make Atlanta a better place to commute.

Oh and... as for Atlanta having more lane capacity than other cities...The issue I have with this is...Atlanta's super sized highways don't really go to where commuters are trying to get to. Where as many other metros focus on smaller but more redundant highways that service several districts, Atlanta's take you to the general area then you have to wind through several suburban arteries to get to where you're going.

Reducing lanes would wreak havoc. The highways are not efficient as you say. For example, there are plenty of people who commute between Cobb and Gwinnett and if you look at the map, sometimes they are literally going west-east/east-west, yet they have to either take the local way with all the lights or take the highway, which to me feels like I'm driving a "U." It's weird...like the highways just go up and down or there's a big circle. They are not direct enough if that makes any sense.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 PM

2,497 posts, read 1,188,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Pointing at one example and saying that it's proof that it will work anywhere is either ignorant or intentionally ignoring reality. Either way, you can't choke the region for 20 years while you try to get your transit running. That is a recipe for failure. It needs to be very carefully implemented.

I honestly have no idea what you said here, so I can't really respond to it. But, what I said was true. You can't accuse me or other posters of feeling "entitled" to roads because we don't live somewhere, but rather commute through, then say that someone who desires rail lines to replace existing road lanes is not "entitled" and say it's because it's their community,
when I specifically referred to someone who does not live in the community professing a desire for something in that community as a commuting option (commuting = people commuting through). So, yeah...wanting to take away lanes for your option is just as much entitlement as anyone else wanting to have a decent roadway.

Which is why most of us would like a good highway and arterial network to handle those loads, so that people do not have to use neighborhood and community roads to get around.

What these scholars don't seem to understand is that if you take away the higher capacity roadways and leave small community and neighborhood roads behind, those roads will become the through roads. They will create the very problem they claim they are trying to fix.

The vast majority of roads in Atlanta are two-lane, non-median roads.

Yep. The alternatives will be driving down your street instead of the arterial or highway you choked off. But, that's okay, right?

Most train lines do not handle a train every minute.

What? I really gotta hear this one...

Because many people on those roads are not on those roads for the entire time. You need a much more vast network, and you need to carefully plan it. You can't just say "take lanes from that road because this method equals 12 lanes" and say it will work.

Funny how you are the only one who keeps repeating that. No one else, not one other person on this forum,, has said the contrary.

What productivity am I losing? Is my employer paying me for my time on the train while I do extra work somehow. My only concern is how much time I have at home outside of work. Since my time at home is worth $1 billion dollars per hour to me, if I took transit and I had to leave an extra hour on each end of my trip for the additional time to take transit, can I state that it cost me two billion dollars in family time?

We still need to do it, but let's not delude ourselves that it's more economical.

And if you use transit, you are still a slave to transit. What exactly is the difference?

Exactly! Thanks for pointing out some hypocritical statements. I used to only have public transportation as an option and I can tell you for certain that I feel more a slave to public transport than I do my car. Something I have trouble understanding is how all these posters are saying we should be car free this and that and it saves money. If you stay in Atlanta only (for the most part), then yes, it would. But what if you like hiking often and you like hiking in N. Georgia, or you like visiting your friends who live all the way in the boonies...public transport doesn't get you everywhere and I'm not saying that it does in other major cities. I used to live in Atlanta and public transport was really really horrible. If I were able to move to Atlanta today, I'd still use a car. I don't feel like I have a sense of entitlement...I just know what it's like not to have a car and my life is totally different now (for the better) with me having one.

Something I find interesting with Atlanta and the Metro area is that...I remember it used to be the thing to be in the suburbs and so communities were/are built out and they have a lot going on. I see a ton of things happening in the suburbs. A lot of people aren't willing to keep themselves caved in Atlanta just to live a car-free lifestyle.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM

4,369 posts, read 4,248,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Did you not read a single sentence of what I replied to you?

-- It has EVERYTHING to do with you... because you have this fantasy that everyone can just relocate and dislocate their lives just to suit your idealistic world...you are the issue. Not Atlantan's. You.

And if I lose my job or get laid off magically I have control over that right?.. dude...wake up and get in the 21st century.
Umm no, ironically you haven't read a word I said cause you think I'm telling people where to live, when I'm saying accept the pros and cons of your choices.

People can do what ever they want Seriously live where ever you want, what I said there are consequences for choices no matter what that choice is. Now you are in a fantasy where there's not... and rather trying to blame it on other people and make excuses.

If you don't like traffic change your life style, If like a suburban life style then accepting the con the comes with it. That have absolutely nothing to do with me.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:16 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,606,397 times
Quote:
Umm no, ironically you haven't read a word I said cause you think I'm telling people where to live, when I'm saying accept the pros and cons of your choices.

People can do what ever they want Seriously live where ever you want, what I said there are consequences for choices no matter what that choice is. Now you are in a fantasy where there's not... and rather trying to blame it on other people and make excuses.

If you don't like traffic change your life style, If like a suburban life style then accepting the con the comes with it. That have absolutely nothing to do with me.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM

1,414 posts, read 1,606,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Land use policy changed to accommodate people who now had more freedom and didn't have to accommodate their lifestyle to a streetcar.
Land use policy changed to accommodate segregation. Its an ugly topic and no one likes to admit but it is a simple fact.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,002,620 times
Quote:
You can make a personal choice about where you live, but your not entitle to tell another neighborhood how develop.

If another neighborhood wants to become pedestrian friendly and less car orient it's with in their right to do so cause it's their neighborhood.

This is why I brought up entitlement, but there a sense entitle that other neighborhoods most given into your suburban lifestyle.
And there's a sense...actually not even a sense, but an absolute declaration that car travel lanes must be taken for transit and bike lanes. But, yeah...let's call the drivers entitled.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:02 PM

22,756 posts, read 16,755,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Reducing lanes would wreak havoc. The highways are not efficient as you say. For example, there are plenty of people who commute between Cobb and Gwinnett and if you look at the map, sometimes they are literally going west-east/east-west, yet they have to either take the local way with all the lights or take the highway, which to me feels like I'm driving a "U." It's weird...like the highways just go up and down or there's a big circle. They are not direct enough if that makes any sense.
I actually agree that we need to improve E-W connectivity in the Northern metro, to include existing surface street widening and part of that should include dedicated bus lanes, signal priority, and stations w/ off board fare collection. What we should not do is build a North Arc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or