U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 PM

28,528 posts, read 25,273,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The true cost of MARTA to my pocket is $2.50. So every time someone considers a MARTA ride is worth it, they ask themselves is that trip worth $5 round trip.
Are you including the hundreds of millions of dollars that the rest of us poor slobs send in to MARTA every year?

For every $200 we spend we're adding a $3 (mandatory) tip for MARTA.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,109,213 times
Atlanta is one place I just want to get through. Traffic is terrible. I do whatever I can to avoid it.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:51 PM

10,142 posts, read 7,137,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are you including the hundreds of millions of dollars that the rest of us poor slobs send in to MARTA every year?

For every $200 we spend we're adding a $3 (mandatory) tip for MARTA.
Nope. I am not.

I am asking you how much you pay out of pocket for your daily car commute.

If the government or a private company wanted offer a new commute option that is less than your given car commute, what price would they need to beat? You don't know.

We can't even compare subsidies effectively because out of pocket costs for cars are so hidden and subsidized people have no clue what they are paying for a commute they do every day.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I am asking you how much you pay out of pocket for your daily car commute.

If the government or a private company wanted offer a new commute option that is less than your given car commute, what price would they need to beat? You don't know.

We can't even compare subsidies effectively because out of pocket costs for cars are so hidden and subsidized people have no clue what they are paying for a commute they do every day.
Well, I've never tried to figure out the cost to the Nth degree. Overall it seems reasonable. My vehicles have been paid off for years and I take good care of them and don't drive them hard. Nor do I drive every day.

However, cost isn't the main consideration. For me, things like comfort and convenience, being able to run on my own schedule, carrying cargo and passengers, pick my own routes, make detours, ramble around, stop and use the bathroom or get something to eat, are more important.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM

311 posts, read 110,550 times
Quote:

That should show just how disconnected people are from the subsidized costs of driving. People don't even have a clue what it costs them to drive a trip they do every single day.
This should be said about transit also and anything else that is subsidized. This weird spin to make drivers look like the leaches doesn't do your cause justice.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 AM

So what is the that cost? How much money would you need to save to make a 5 mile drive worth it?

If you don't know and just keep driving and using public services like roads without concern for the cost, maybe you should feel a bit like a leach.

Claim what you will about subsidies for things such as Amtrak, MegaBus, airlines, and MARTA but there is a cost you pay up front for those you know at least what is coming out of your pocket. Cars you don't know what you are paying and a lot of people seem to treat it like freeloaders and drive everywhere.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
So what is the that cost? How much money would you need to save to make a 5 mile drive worth it?

If you don't know and just keep driving and using public services like roads without concern for the cost, maybe you should feel a bit like a leach.
How much does it cost to maintain a road? We live right off a busy street with thousands of vehicles every day and they haven't repaved it in 20 years or more.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How much does it cost to maintain a road? We live right off a busy street with thousands of vehicles every day and they haven't repaved it in 20 years or more.
Often millions. So does running something like MARTA or Delta Air Lines. The difference is you pay every time you use those.

What incentive do people have to drive on that busy road of yours a little less? Does it save them any money? If someone wants to send a letter to someone at the far end of that busy road are they better off just buying a $0.50 stamp? Or do you think people might just drive down that road anyways and think they are "saving fifty cents" on the cost of that stamp?

I know spending $5 to take MARTA to save fifty cents on a letter is not a sound financial choice. How about driving? Do you know?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:11 PM

311 posts, read 110,550 times
Quote:
How much does it cost for a police officer arrest a murderer? How much does it cost to power the street lights?

How much does it cost keep a school running? If you don't know you are a leach.

Quote:
Claim what you will about subsidies for things such as Amtrak, MegaBus, airlines, and MARTA but there is a cost you pay up front for those you know at least what is coming out of your pocket. Cars you don't know what you are paying and a lot of people seem to treat it like freeloaders and drive everywhere.

I pay gas tax each time I fill up, and tag taxes each year that go to roads. WTF are you yammering about?

Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM

I think basically everyone would agree there is a strong case for public policy & subsidy to encourage / support the arrest of more murders.

There is also a decent case for public policy & subsidy to encourage / support the use of more transit since it is an accessible, inclusive, equitable, efficient, safer, environmentally friendly way to get around.

But we do not need public policy and subsidy to encourage / support more driving.

Yet, we have subsidized and hidden the costs of driving so most people will turn their nose up at a $2.50 MARTA fare and think they are somehow saving money by driving instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or