Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,077,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Social security does exactly what you say is necessary too, and I hope that Congress never is able to abolish it.
They've been able to abolish the program since the day it was created.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:34 AM
bu2

23,888 posts, read 14,684,834 times
Quote:
Gwinnett has a lot of suburban decay along Satellite Blvd just South of Gwinnett Place.

Most of that area is only 20-30 years old, and now I see 80's homes with rotting trim, sheets hanging in the windows, some are pretty sad looking.

It's cyclic. intown is now expensive making suburbs less expensive.

What's funny is to realize that NYC and posh intown areas everywhere will almost certainly repeat the cycle and fall on downtrodden times again at some point.
Druid Hills has never been an impoverished area, but it has had several up and down cycles during its 100+ years. Inman Park was apparently pretty bad in the 70s and may have had cycles before that.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:26 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,397,900 times
Quote:
I am one of those who cannot save for the future.

So is there is a solution to the promised pension payments 50 years from now that aren't being funded properly?

And aren't pension funds in the same boat as 401k funds?

Social security does exactly what you say is necessary too, and I hope that Congress never is able to abolish it.

I've read that distributing minimum monthly amount of money to entire population would sustain things also, because people would spend it on basic living expenses and money would go back into the economy not much different from how the federal money is allocated as a whole now.
I really don't see why companies are failing to fund pensions. They sit on paper as future obligations and are almost always only partially funded. Money should have been set aside each paycheck for the employees and a conservative pension formula could give them a predictable annuity that could stack with SS and fund their retirement in perpetuity. Like humans, corporations - which are run by humans - keep raiding the retirement funds!

Expenses are expenses. Whether a corp wants to make a pension contribution or simply match your 401(k) contribution. I think they save money on the 401(k) match because people lose the match when they quit before it's vested or they just don't contribute at all. Less for the company to pay out.

I feel that the company should be making contributions on a regular basis for each employee into a pension fund. I've got my own ideas, but I believe that with the slim chance today of making it 30 years at a private sector company, the corporation can do a mandatory 10% employee / 10% employer contribution to an account the employee cannot borrow against [at all] and cannot collect from until the employee is 65 years old.

This retirement account is funded by employee + employer(s) during his or her career, but a conservative defined benefit is guaranteed by the government.

- The incentive for the employee to work would and strive to succeed would be
1.) the more obvious benefit of more money on the employee's paycheck and career advancement,
2.) the less obvious benefit of more money in retirement since it's a percentage of gross earnings.

- The incentive for the employer would be there are no obligations to continue to contribute after an employee's separation as with traditional pension, thus making their books look better.

- The incentive for the government could be a gradual $2-for-$1 phase out of SS income (less SS spend) when considering the primary retirement account benefit.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 AM

10,736 posts, read 13,291,570 times
Pensions? Folks should do their best to curtail unneeded expenses and save their hard earned money. Don’t count on companies or governments to do this for you.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:30 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
I know that on the national level driving is down substantially.

Would that be true in the ATL as well?

Quote:
There's evidence to suggest that America's already reached peak driving. The latest figures from the U.S. Department of Transportation suggest that vehicle-miles increased by 18.1 billion miles in 2013, just half a percent on the previous year. That's a rise, of course, but not enough to skew statistics showing that mileage has plateaued since its high mark in the mid-2000s:

Meanwhile, the U.S. population grew by about .7 percent in 2013, so per capita vehicle miles actually declined — for the ninth year in a row. Analyst Tony Dutzik writes that the latest per capita VMT rate is about 7 percent below its 2004 peak. In fact, when you adjust for the driving population, as financial advisor Doug Short has done, the 2013 VMT rate "is about where we were as a nation in January of 1995":

More... We're Driving Less, So Should We Stop Building New Roads?

Old 08-27-2018, 12:43 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Your graph stops at 2014-15.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Your graph stops at 2014-15.
Yep.

Do you think the trends have changed significantly since then?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:04 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,324,162 times
Quote:

This article draws a flawed premise. Yes, in the years after the recession, total vehicle miles traveled did plateu for a few years, while population, of course, continued to grow. Both of these are expected. This would obviously lead some people (those determined to believe it) to the conclusion that people are driving far less. Of course, since that recession, the numbers are going up again.

But overall vehicle miles traveled dropped only slightly (about 2.5%) during the worst years of the recession, 2008-2010. Nowadays, overall mileage traveled is 7% higher than it was ten years ago.

The premise that we should stop building roads because per-capita mileage is lower is asinine at best. Let me put it into a different perspective:
Somewhereville has seen a population increase of 30% while food consumption has gone up by only 15%. So, overall, per-capita food consumption has gone down by 12.5%, and the food supply is often depleted. So, should we supply less food or stop increasing food supply to Somewhereville? A naive person might say, "Yes! They are eating less, so we can supply them less!" This, of course, completely ignores that overall consumption has gone up 15% and is often strained. They need more food than before, not less or the same.
The same premise should be concluded for road and other transportation options. If total miles driven has increased by 7% in ten years, you don't have less driving happening, nor fewer cars on the road, just because the per-capita mileage has dropped.

Quote:
Yep.

Do you think the trends have changed significantly since then?

I don't know, I'm just asking.
Since 2013, total mileage has increased 8.4%, while per-capita (driving age) has increased about 0.7%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Since 2013, total mileage has increased 8.4%, while per-capita (driving age) has increased about 0.7%.
'
EDIT: Since this site won't let you edit a post after 90 minutes...

Correction, I believe the total per capita miles driven has increased 3.2% since 2013.

This was calculated by using the BLS population in the labor force over 16 and not in the labor force over 16 (for a total population over 16), compared to the number of miles driven per year from the Federal Highway Administration.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-26-2019 at 04:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Okay, I was just trying to think outside the box.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,816,726 times
Yet another real life example induced demand / Braess’ Paradox:

‘The cars just disappeared’: What happened to the 90,000 cars a day the viaduct carried before it closed? | Seattle Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta