Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 06:17 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For the record, I have no issue paying tolls to get to a place quicker
If you tasked me with improving traffic flow the one thing I would do is switch all highways to being funded 100% by congestion based tolling. I would do that before more transit funding or anything else.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:28 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Well, in either case we'll just have to see what happens!

Neither you or I am in direct control of what the metro does...lets just hope that the metro does whats best for the masses.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 PM

651 posts, read 476,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If you tasked me with improving traffic flow the one thing I would do is switch all highways to being funded 100% by congestion based tolling. I would do that before more transit funding or anything else.
This is extremely classist though.

No one wants to live in your Darwinistic libertarian transit world.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:13 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Highways are great for regional / interstate transportation and would have built most of the Eisenhower Interstate System. Of course Eisenhower didn't want the highways to go through cities.
Huh, the article references this, then it's source brings up the fact that the system had been developed some 20 years earlier and that Eisenhower "didn't know about that". Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Quote:
So yeah, 285 would have been a good distance away to stop the highways.
So, then I guess a much larger major arterial or non-interstate highway network would be in place. A dozen or more 4-6 lane divided, limited access roads? Certainly, you don't think our network of 2-lane winding back roads would be sufficient? I can think of very, very few cities which don't have a network of major roads or highways coming to within just a couple of miles of their main core. In the US, there are pretty much none. Internationally, most large cities have at least a few large highways or a good number of major arterials, and they also have huge transit systems.

Quote:
Would you be willing to deal with economic consequences?

Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
This is extremely classist though.

No one wants to live in your Darwinistic libertarian transit world.
Still waiting for what your solutions are. Easy enough to complain about the status quo and shoot down other people's ideas.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So, then I guess a much larger major arterial or non-interstate highway network would be in place. A dozen or more 4-6 lane divided, limited access roads? Certainly, you don't think our network of 2-lane winding back roads would be sufficient? I can think of very, very few cities which don't have a network of major roads or highways coming to within just a couple of miles of their main core. In the US, there are pretty much none. Internationally, most large cities have at least a few large highways or a good number of major arterials, and they also have huge transit systems.
Per capita our surface street network is on par with most everywhere else at the moment. We do need to legalize more density and require developers to build street grid connectivity (actually allowing developers to inter connect the street grid would be a really great start, right now it is illegal for developers to end a street at their property line to allow for other developers to build connectivity through their property).

I guess it really just depends which hypothetical scenario we are talking about. Were urban highways never built? Are we just instituting congestion tolling?

And yes, just like highways existing I am fine with roads existing. Though it is important that we create streets OR roads and not "stroads" which there are too many of in the metro:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Would you be willing to deal with economic consequences?
Oh, mysterious and terrifying... Pray tell what economic consequences will we bring on ourselves by tolling our highways that is so common all over the world?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Boston by that period already had a transit system that outclasses what we have today in Atlanta... They werent in anywhere near as dire need as we are for transit.
Boston has land use to match it's transit system.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:58 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:

Oh, mysterious and terrifying... Pray tell what economic consequences will we bring on ourselves by tolling our highways that is so common all over the world?
What if the employers found it too hard to attract employees to the urban core and moved out to the suburbs?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
In either case, we can beat at this all day and night but realistically...

Atlanta is not going to toll its inner-city highways. They havent even thought of proposing that... nor would I recommend they try it especially while there's no transit throughout most of the metro.

Unforunately its equally unlikely that we will see the major corridors we need in the suburbs either built, or upgraded...

Right now it seems the only real hope is Transit, which has some promising things but Im not exactly excited yet...I want to see what they they actually do.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 AM

651 posts, read 476,007 times
Quote:

You mean the fact that most people don’t have alternative ways to get work here and many more can’t aford to pay a toll just to get to work?

I know you could care less about the "poors" but that not how you run a society.

Last edited by Otakumaster; 05-30-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta