U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2018, 06:29 AM

831 posts, read 785,920 times

Advertisements

So, I posted a few months back about a job relocation to Kennesaw, and received some recommendations on areas to checkout. Unfortunately the relocation package fell through and I had to back out.

But I did get an offer to transfer via my current company to Sandy Springs (right off 400/285). My wife and I have been scoping out area ls to live this weekend and would love some guidance. We checked out Marietta yesterday based on past advice....and maybe we came in the wrong side of the city.....but it felt a bit rundown? Apologies if I offend, but it definitely didn't feel like "home" to us.

What others areas should we hit up over our remaining 3 days here?

Wants:
Sub hr commute
Good schools
$450K budget, could stretch if we had to
Urban/suburban environment (some independent shops, some big box, specialty coffee shops, etc.)
Young family friendly
Safe

Doesn't need to check all the above boxes, but curious what areas might come the closest? Sincerely appreciate all the insight to help up maximize our next 3 days!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
Marietta is a nice area, but...

The catch here is we have a large amount of unincoporated land. Half of Cobb County is Marietta, but the city limits are smaller.

It is includes really desirable areas, like East Cobb. It also includes other areas that have many of Cobb's aging apartment complexes and older retail strips.

You can't use town names, like you might in some areas in the northeast where the suburbs are these small towns side by side by side.

Many often gauge an area by the name of the high school.

I'm from the Northeast of town, so I'll let more Cobb posters help you out.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:06 AM

1,062 posts, read 689,625 times
Not to worry... No offense taken. But I do wonder where you looked in Marietta. The Square is exceedingly vibrant, and by my estimation there's been something like $500M's worth of new residential construction built within a mile of the Square within the last 5-10 years, and the bulk of it within the last 5. Yes, if you looked east of Fairground Street while south of Roswell Street, you might see some rundown areas, and east of Cole Street while north of Roswell Street is also rough around the edges, but largely the area around the Square is in pretty good shape. If you went out Sandtown Road or something, or spent all your time on Cobb Parkway, then I can certainly see how you would not have gotten a favorable impression.

Can you tell us more about where you explored and what you felt was "rundown?" That might help us and others to find you an area that appeals to you. To be quite frank, most of the inner Atlanta area suburbs and rejuvenated neighborhoods within Atlanta itself still have patches that are rough around the edges quite near areas that have been fully gentrified. Even the vaunted City of Decatur has streets that look rather rundown just a couple of blocks from the well-revitalized downtown.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 AM

20,900 posts, read 32,901,196 times
You might think about placing yourself closer to your place of business and looking into Sandy Springs (30328) or Roswell (30075/6) ; the Chattahoochee River rather limits your commuting options in from Cobb. There are actually some older neighborhoods in your price range and the CBD is undergoing a major transformation.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...11_rect/12_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...omePageTab=buy

Last edited by Iconographer; 05-19-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 05-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Not to worry... No offense taken. But I do wonder where you looked in Marietta. The Square is exceedingly vibrant, and by my estimation there's been something like $500M's worth of new residential construction built within a mile of the Square within the last 5-10 years, and the bulk of it within the last 5. Yes, if you looked east of Fairground Street while south of Roswell Street, you might see some rundown areas, and east of Cole Street while north of Roswell Street is also rough around the edges, but largely the area around the Square is in pretty good shape. If you went out Sandtown Road or something, or spent all your time on Cobb Parkway, then I can certainly see how you would not have gotten a favorable impression.

Can you tell us more about where you explored and what you felt was "rundown?" That might help us and others to find you an area that appeals to you. To be quite frank, most of the inner Atlanta area suburbs and rejuvenated neighborhoods within Atlanta itself still have patches that are rough around the edges quite near areas that have been fully gentrified. Even the vaunted City of Decatur has streets that look rather rundown just a couple of blocks from the well-revitalized downtown.

Hey, thanks for the insights!
We came up lower roswell, then Roswell. Played in the square ( which was cute and very alive!). Then we left the city via 41/280/85. I'm definitely not claiming we saw the whole city, but I did see areas I wouldn't want to pass through on a daily basis. With two kids, we were frustratingly limited in our time to explore before we had to head back to the hotel and put them to bed.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:14 AM

1,062 posts, read 689,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
We came up lower roswell, then Roswell. Played in the square ( which was cute and very alive!). Then we left the city via 41/280/85. I'm definitely not claiming we saw the whole city, but I did see areas I wouldn't want to pass through on a daily basis. With two kids, we were frustratingly limited in our time to explore before we had to head back to the hotel and put them to bed.
Yeah, Lower Roswell is pretty uninteresting, and of course 41 and 280 are highways. To see the interesting residential areas, you need to go a block or so off the main thoroughfares. If you come again, try driving down the following:

-Waterman and Frasier Streets, west of Fairground and south of Roswell Street.
-Forest Avenue just east of Cherokee Street
-Freyer Drive, Seminole Drive, Etowah Drive and Chickasaw Drive, East of Cherokee Street and North of North Marietta Parkway.
-Polk Street just west of North Marietta Parkway
-Maple Avenue and surrounding streets
-Whitlock Ave and surrounding streets

The suggestions of Iconographer of Sandy Springs and Roswell are not bad, either. The jury is still out on whether Sandy Springs will finally feel like a real town when their huge "downtown" project is complete. It looks promising, but of course the proof is in the pudding, and completion is a few years off. I do wonder if Roswell Road (GA-9, not to be confused with the Roswell Road in Cobb County) is going to continue to be an impediment to making it a truly walkable, pleasant area. Roswell certainly does have a true historic downtown and it's quite pleasant. Smaller than Marietta Square, for sure, but still very nice.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:39 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
So, I posted a few months back about a job relocation to Kennesaw, and received some recommendations on areas to checkout. Unfortunately the relocation package fell through and I had to back out.

But I did get an offer to transfer via my current company to Sandy Springs (right off 400/285). My wife and I have been scoping out area ls to live this weekend and would love some guidance. We checked out Marietta yesterday based on past advice....and maybe we came in the wrong side of the city.....but it felt a bit rundown? Apologies if I offend, but it definitely didn't feel like "home" to us.

Wants:
Sub hr commute
Good schools
Urban/suburban environment (some independent shops, some big box, specialty coffee shops, etc.)
Young family friendly
Safe

Doesn't need to check all the above boxes, but curious what areas might come the closest? Sincerely appreciate all the insight to help up maximize our next 3 days!!!

Based on what you posted here, you need to look in East Cobb, the parts closest to Historic Roswell. Or, look in Roswell itself (basically, any part).

So, my recommendations for you:

Roswell
East Cobb (the eastern parts near Roswell)

Good commute. Excellent schools. Suburban/urban mix that you are looking for. Extremely safe.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:15 PM

5,363 posts, read 4,889,007 times
Quote:

Wants:
Sub hr commute
Good schools
Young family friendly
Safe

Quote:
Some important things to keep in mind about a city like Marietta and a county like Cobb are that:

1) While the City of Marietta proper has a population of about 61,000 and encompasses an area of about just over 23 square miles, the entire area with a Marietta mailing address has a population of nearly 400,000 residents and encompasses an area of about 154 square miles and 8 different school zones...

(...The 8 different school zones that the Marietta mailing area encompasses are the clusters of schools anchored by Walton, Pope, Lassiter, Wheeler, Sprayberry, Kell, Osborne and Marietta high schools... Marietta High School anchors its own school system in the Marietta City Schools system while the other 7 high schools are part of the Cobb County School District system...)

The entire area with a Marietta mailing address encompasses a fairly large and diverse area that (as other posters have noted) ranges from aging apartment complexes, aging shopping centers, aging commercial buildings and utilitarian structures along commercial nodes (like along major highways like GA 280, US 41 and I-75), to the adorable town square village area of Downtown Marietta, to masterfully landscaped upscale residential neighborhoods with highly affluent populations (like Atlanta Country Club, Chattahoochee Plantation and much of East Cobb in the Walton, Pope and Lassiter school zones)...

2) Cobb County is a major metropolitan county with a large population of about 756,000 residents that is of great importance politically, socially and economically to the Atlanta metro area, the state of Georgia and the Southeastern U.S....

Cobb County is an industrial and economic powerhouse for the Atlanta region, the state of Georgia and the Southeastern U.S. There is lots of industry in Cobb County, much more industry than a newcomer might figure to be in an affluent suburban county, so there are lots of commercial and industrial structures that are utilitarian and there are lots of areas that might look to be "rundown"... But those utilitarian commercial and industrial structures and areas that might not always be the most visually attractive are responsible for a great deal of the legendarily suburban county's prosperity with the tax revenue and economic activity that they produce for the economic powerhouse that is Cobb County.

Don't be scared away from an area like Marietta and Cobb County because of the utilitarian and aging commercial and industrial structures that you saw along commercial corridors like GA 280, US 41 and I-75.

Corridors like GA 120 Roswell Road, Johnson Ferry Road, Sandy Plains Road and Shallowford Road in affluent East Cobb will have much more of the visually pleasing type of look that you prefer.

Like other posters have noted, real estate searches in the Atlanta metro area are best done by high school cluster zone and not town name.

In Cobb County, the areas of the upscale and affluent eastern part of the county with Marietta and Roswell mailing addresses commonly known as "East Cobb" will provide you with the type of upscale suburban environment that you prefer in the attendance zones for the clusters of schools anchored by Walton, Pope and Lassiter high schools.

Parts of the attendance zones for the cluster of schools anchored by Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools will also be good places to look for housing in East Cobb, particularly if you happen to encounter any difficulties finding something within your price range in the exceptionally highly touted Walton, Pope and Lassiter school zones.

Much of East Cobb as a whole also will provide you with a good and relatively short commute (by metro Atlanta standards) to and from your job in Sandy Springs.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! We spent today driving East Cobb, then Roswell, and we felt completely at home! Really enjoyed the area so I appreciate the recommendation.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:35 PM

205 posts, read 106,151 times
Yes, east Cobb and Roswell would be a great fit.

Here’s a couple in your price range:

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Marietta/1...m_content=link

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Marietta/1...m_content=link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or