U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:36 PM

617 posts, read 203,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I sure am glad the medical community doesn't share your attitude.

"Get used to polio, small pox and the plague. Disease is a problem with every species, it's part of life."

Big problems aren't worth solving.

As the city gets more expensive and gentrification continues, this is the inevitable. You guys want Amazon so badly well....

Look at Seattle homelessness problem. Displacement and rising prices are going to lead to more panhandlers. They go where the money is

City either starts building more shelters/affordable housing and outreach programs now or risk having 100k homeless people like New York City. Atlanta has nice weather year round, going to attract the hobos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 PM

181 posts, read 76,336 times
The way I handle panhandlers is this - I tell them, sorry, ain't got nothing on me and continue walking at a very brisk pace. The key is not making eye contact, not answering if they ask again and keep walking super fast. They're not going to expend the energy to chase after you, so this method works every time without fail.

In other cities, like Paris, where they're much more aggressive and physical, I simply push them away and haul ass. Again, I've never been chased. No eye contact, no answering of additional requests and haul butt outta there. If everyone did this, every single time, they'd give up on panhandling - they're too lazy to go running after people, lol.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
The way I handle panhandlers is this - I tell them, sorry, ain't got nothing on me and continue walking at a very brisk pace. The key is not making eye contact, not answering if they ask again and keep walking super fast. They're not going to expend the energy to chase after you, so this method works every time without fail.

In other cities, like Paris, where they're much more aggressive and physical, I simply push them away and haul ass. Again, I've never been chased. No eye contact, no answering of additional requests and haul butt outta there. If everyone did this, every single time, they'd give up on panhandling - they're too lazy to go running after people, lol.
Yeah. I act like a stuck up girl and just keep walking like I don't hear them. Crazy how people still give out money to people at the red light. People are stupid.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 PM

7,722 posts, read 9,586,437 times
Quote:
People are stupid.
I think a lot of people just believe that regardless of whether someone really is starving or homeless, or just wants drugs, the fact that they've had to lower themselves to beg for money from strangers is reason enough to give them some.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 PM

28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
I got aggressively panhandled at the Quik Trip the other day right in front of the police.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:39 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think a lot of people just believe that regardless of whether someone really is starving or homeless, or just wants drugs, the fact that they've had to lower themselves to beg for money from strangers is reason enough to give them some.
I guess.

Hopefully the city lock them up before the Super Bowl to clean the streets for a few days

Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,525,287 times
I've been downtown every weekday since 1991, either as a student or as a 9-5er. There have only been three or four times I've been asked for money and a simple "Sorry, I don't have any cash on me" didn't cut it.

Frankly, the canvassers are far more annoying and aggressive than the panhandlers have ever been.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,653,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
As the city gets more expensive and gentrification continues, this is the inevitable. You guys want Amazon so badly well....

Look at Seattle homelessness problem. Displacement and rising prices are going to lead to more panhandlers. They go where the money is

City either starts building more shelters/affordable housing and outreach programs now or risk having 100k homeless people like New York City. Atlanta has nice weather year round, going to attract the hobos.
I agree that getting Amazon would be a mixed bag than people think. Especially for those folks complaining about “affordability” now. It will be great for folks that currently own property, and want to cash out, and for realtors, businesses and maybe restaurants that can charge a little more. But, renters, and new home buyers that want to get near the city will get pummeled. Even current homeowners will have to pony up for the taxes for facilities that they are Amazon is using, but not paying for. I am sure that the city wil keep the panhandlers away from the Amazon Campus, but they will go “somewhere”, and yes there will be more of them.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 AM

4,266 posts, read 2,854,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
The key is not making eye contact, not answering if they ask again and keep walking super fast. They're not going to expend the energy to chase after you, so this method works every time without fail.
Then you've never been to Baltimore. I don't know if its still this way, but when I was there years ago, the bums would see you from a block away and run after you, following you until you finally got away. It was crazy. I ended up not going out much because it seemed like nonstop panhandling everywhere I went, and they would not give up.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:21 PM

2,225 posts, read 1,074,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Then you've never been to Baltimore. I don't know if its still this way, but when I was there years ago, the bums would see you from a block away and run after you, following you until you finally got away. It was crazy. I ended up not going out much because it seemed like nonstop panhandling everywhere I went, and they would not give up.

Dude, that's crazy! I could see myself getting defensive really fast if that were to happen to me. What I've attempted to do is only frequent places that don't have panhandler problems. Also entering the establishment from a certain direction helps, as well as walking fast (for Atlanta, that is). Not making eye contact is a good one...it just feels so not human to not make eye contact as if they don't exist but man...it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or