U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:16 AM

158 posts, read 251,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc2613 View Post
I'm considering a move to the Alpharetta Ga, (cherokee county). I'm concerned about racism in the area.
I'm moving from southern cal area and really never had to deal with any problems (at least not to my face)
anyway can anyone shed some light if I will have any problems or will things be somewhat ok?
I lived in Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell, and Cumming! I'm hispanic and I've never had any issues. Alpharetta was diverse when I lived there about ten years ago. You also might like Sandy Springs. I moved to Iowa (I don't recommend it) and here there's more racism here. I think you'll be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 AM

1,063 posts, read 322,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
I lived in Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell, and Cumming! I'm hispanic and I've never had any issues. Alpharetta was diverse when I lived there about ten years ago. You also might like Sandy Springs. I moved to Iowa (I don't recommend it) and here there's more racism here. I think you'll be just fine.
There are a lot of African migrants in Iowa either going to school or working in the State over the past 10 years so that is interesting. If I am not mistaken Iowa had some Asian student exchange program in the 90's as well to boost the local economy. They have a ton of job openings and a tough time attracting young American (and presumably White) workers so I hear things are diversifying because they have to market to specific ethnic enclaves looking for a lower cost of living.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 1,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know that this is a 'conservative leaning forum' how? For someone so new, you are assuming a lot here.
An account is not required to read this forum.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,902 times
This is hardly a conservative leaning forum. At least not this particular board.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:34 AM

9,553 posts, read 8,616,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
This is hardly a conservative leaning forum. At least not this particular board.
Sure isn't. Tree hugging, yellow dog Democrat liberal here!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM

4,644 posts, read 3,013,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwg View Post
An account is not required to read this forum.

Then you have an interpretation issue, and couldn't be more wrong if you were trying to be.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:42 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
I hear you. But its when your back is turnt that is when people will say things. I would rather not put myself in a situation like that.
I agree. People would be surprised how nice and positive you can be at work and how people will trash talk you to managers because they are racist and the managers believe them.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:45 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Stop looking to be a victim and if you want to move to that area, just move there. Racism is everywhere , just live your life and if moving to GA betters it then just do it

Spoken like someone who has grown up smothered in white privilege.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:32 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,479,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hahahaha Southern California have no racism problem. I live in San Diego while in the Marine Corp and some whites and latinos were not very favorable toward blacks. However, I don’t think any area of the United States is prejudice free in some aspects. You will be fine on Alpharetta.

Exactly. I continue to spend large amounts of time in San Diego and guess what, lot of racists.

My grandparents, while on one hand were Chula Vista slumlords and would bend over backwards to help a tenant in need no matter their race would also use some slang that I'd rather not repeat.

Instead of AA being the dominate minority, it is Hispanics and people were definitely racist towards them.

I left the south for college altogether because of how racist people were that I encountered in Athens, etc. but turns out there are racist people in Tucson too. (My favorite were the Buckhead rednecks. Grew up in a mansion, had daddy buy them a truck so they could put a Confederate Flag on it).

Racism is EVERYWHERE. I agree with the post above.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,808 times
I live in Forsyth County, Alpharetta. I went to an HBCU and am highly sensitive to any oz of racism. I am also keenly aware of the history of racism in this area (Oprah's visit, etc.) I am the minority where I live. I see pickup trucks with confederate flags. I happily wear my wakanda forever shirt and no one bothers me. I love living here. Live where you want. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or