U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:36 PM
bu2

8,974 posts, read 5,670,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
That's what driving economic activity is. Relocating businesses from OTP to ITP near MARTA or from out of state to near marta rail. Saying it doesn't add anything is ridiculous.
The apartment developers prefer those locations, but they would have built anyway.

Moving businesses from Gwinnett to Fulton doesn't add economic activity. It just moves it.

And no out of state business moves here for transit. They just prefer those sites, like the apartment developers. Atlanta ranked 91 of the top 100 metros in getting to jobs on a timely basis by transit in a study about 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 PM

151 posts, read 63,350 times
I remember when I moved to ATL in 1995 and worked in the Perimeter area. The Perimeter area had grown way too fast and the traffic was horrible in that area. It was a few years later that the company and many others relocated to Alpharetta. Ironically my next job was with a company in Alpharetta in the early 2000's. I was lucky to live in Buckhead and commute against traffic. The last few years of course companies are wanting to move back ITP. My company is in Marietta and Vinings now. The key for us is being located near the freeways. Would be great if they could get a MARTA line up 400, 75, and out 20 East.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 PM

28,136 posts, read 24,659,949 times
According to a report from the American Public Transportation Association the "lack of timely investment in [transit] infrastructure could lead to an $8.4 billion decrease in Gross Domestic Product to local businesses, a related $2.7 billion dip in household income and about 4,000 fewer jobs in the area."

That's yet another excellent reason for local business to start participating in transit funding, since they stand to lose billions.

https://saportareport.com/ignoring-t...anta-billions/

Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,708,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It doesn't drive economic activity. It re-directs existing economic activity.

That can be good. But it doesn't mean it adds anything.
That's not entirely right. It does redirect economic activity, but in doing so, it creates new activity. Think about two offices, identical save for location (and the physicalities of each location). One locates in a typical drive-in suburban office park, the other locates in a mixed-use development. The one in the suburban office park, might generate enough business for a small cafe/cafeteria. The one in the mixed-use development will likely generate enough business for a full-time coffee shop/light restaurant, which in-turn will cultivate demand for other ancillary businesses, such as a nicer restaurant to handle the dinner crowd, a convenience/grocery store for small items, etc. This in-turn will attract nearby residential development, which again drives more commercial development, even if these people aren't working in that building. When people drive, they drive A to B and stop if they have to (like for gas). If I'm walking right past a coffee shop going to or from a station, even if I drove to the station/development, I'm much more likely to stop by.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:11 AM

22,165 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Have they ever really done that though? Serious question.
No, headways have stayed the same during peak hours since being lowered from 15 min to 10 min under Keith Parker's admin.
All rail lines:
  • 6-9amEvery 10 mins
  • 9am-3pm12 mins
  • 3-7pmEvery 10 mins
  • 7-8:30pm12 - 15 mins
  • 8pm and laterApprox. 20 mins
MARTA

Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,731,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
That's not entirely right. It does redirect economic activity, but in doing so, it creates new activity. Think about two offices, identical save for location (and the physicalities of each location). One locates in a typical drive-in suburban office park, the other locates in a mixed-use development. The one in the suburban office park, might generate enough business for a small cafe/cafeteria. The one in the mixed-use development will likely generate enough business for a full-time coffee shop/light restaurant, which in-turn will cultivate demand for other ancillary businesses, such as a nicer restaurant to handle the dinner crowd, a convenience/grocery store for small items, etc. This in-turn will attract nearby residential development, which again drives more commercial development, even if these people aren't working in that building. When people drive, they drive A to B and stop if they have to (like for gas). If I'm walking right past a coffee shop going to or from a station, even if I drove to the station/development, I'm much more likely to stop by.
Not only that, but the increased density reduces many stresses on the local governments (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Smart Growth involves various policies that result in more compact, multi-modal development. Credible research indicates that Smart Growth community residents consume less land, own fewer vehicles, drive less, rely more on alternative modes, spend less on transport, have lower traffic crash casualty rates, consume less energy and produce less pollution than they would in more sprawled, automobile-dependent areas. These savings filter through the economy, increasing economic productivity and development. Smart Growth can also increase some costs, including land unit costs (dollars per acre) and local traffic and parking congestion.

All of these impacts should be considered when evaluating development policies. Smart Growth often provides substantial benefits, including net economic savings that total thousands of dollars annually per households, plus significant health benefits, improved mobility options for non-drivers, and external benefits including reduced traffic congestion, accident risk and pollution imposed on others. Since physically, economically and socially disadvantaged people tend to rely on affordable housing and transport options, Smart Growth tends to provide social equity benefits.
Source: Victoria Transport Policy Institute

Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 AM

110 posts, read 31,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
MARTA needs to develop something on all the land they have next to Indian Creek station and the other parking lot at Kensington Station as well.

I know many might consider this the hood, but a gated community next to a transit station and none of the nonsense of X amount of units have to be for low income, and they will be a nice property and use the train station as a selling point.
I think the area around Indian Creek is already in motion albeit very slowly. It's all supposed to be a part of DeKalb's Memorial Drive-Kensington Overlay which is also supposed to spur development along Covington Highway and Indian Creek as well.

I've reviewed the overlay plans, and from my understanding the area around Indian Creek is supposed to be a concentrated Town Center with an emphasis on wellness in its development. A part of this plan is to build more senior living communities in a pedestrian friendly area equipped with medical offices and the MARTA station. A nice senior living community is currently being built across from the Indian Creek station so I'd say things are underway. Hopefully more development is to come. I previously read that the giant lot on Covington Highway with the farmer's market (it use to be a Target forever ago) was being considered as the potential location for MARTA's planned Covington Hwy station, and a surrounding TOD.

As far as Kensington, I believe the plan was to make the surrounding area with all of the government buildings a Downtown DeKalb of sorts. I saw on the news last month that many of Avondale Estates residents were fighting against a development proposal for this area.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:29 AM

22,165 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
I think the area around Indian Creek is already in motion albeit very slowly. It's all supposed to be a part of DeKalb's Memorial Drive-Kensington Overlay which is also supposed to spur development along Covington Highway and Indian Creek as well.

I've reviewed the overlay plans, and from my understanding the area around Indian Creek is supposed to be a concentrated Town Center with an emphasis on wellness in its development. A part of this plan is to build more senior living communities in a pedestrian friendly area equipped with medical offices and the MARTA station. A nice senior living community is currently being built across from the Indian Creek station so I'd say things are underway. Hopefully more development is to come. I previously read that the giant lot on Covington Highway with the farmer's market (it use to be a Target forever ago) was being considered as the potential location for MARTA's planned Covington Hwy station, and a surrounding TOD.

As far as Kensington, I believe the plan was to make the surrounding area with all of the government buildings a Downtown DeKalb of sorts. I saw on the news last month that many of Avondale Estates residents were fighting against a development proposal for this area.
It's hilarious that DeKalb Co wants to build a Downtown DeKalb, hello that's what Decatur square is

Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It's hilarious that DeKalb Co wants to build a Downtown DeKalb, hello that's what Decatur square is
That was my first thought when I initially heard of a Downtown DeKalb, but according to a overlay report I read, their vision is to create "a downtown DeKalb that serves the unincorporated DeKalb government services, facilities and administration which will enrich the lives of the community."

Looking at some of the renderings, it looks like they may be trying to bring the feel of Decatur Square to unincorporated DeKalb. I have no problem with this considering the surrounding neighborhoods probably don't want to annex this area, and the residents of this area probably don't want to become a part of the Greenhaven proposal so I would hate for it to sit in redevelopment limbo. Especially since it's so close to Decatur, Avondale Estates, Clarkston, Pine Lake, Stone Mountain, and Atlanta city limits.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
MARTA needs to develop something on all the land they have next to Indian Creek station and the other parking lot at Kensington Station as well.

I know many might consider this the hood, but a gated community next to a transit station and none of the nonsense of X amount of units have to be for low income, and they will be a nice property and use the train station as a selling point.
Also, here's some proposals for the Indian Creek redevelopment.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or