U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,576,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
For anyone interested in any MARTA eastward expansion updates

https://www.i20etod.com/
That's good to see. Finally there is some thoughtful planning going into transit station areas rather than just assuming the transit will attract appropriate development around the stations. That's an assumption that can never be made in metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 04:14 PM

108 posts, read 32,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I can't see any of that happening before transit. Its a declining area. Developers simply won't go there.
What type of development are you referring to because I've been seeing some housing development springing up (or at least land cleared for development), nothing comparable to midtown, but it's being built or at least planned, with a good number of it aimed at senior residents.

Also, I could've sworn MARTA even said that developers were interested lol, so is that just an assumption that developers won't go there? Even concerning businesses, Atlanta's Gas Light Regional Business Center is currently being built along this stretch next to I-20 in the Gresham area.

Realistically this will take a long time to build out, but I can appreciate the effort and planning.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM

108 posts, read 32,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
That's good to see. Finally there is some thoughtful planning going into transit station areas rather than just assuming the transit will attract appropriate development around the stations. That's an assumption that can never be made in metro Atlanta.
I agree. Plus, considering how long it takes to plan and implement things in Atlanta, I'm glad MARTA is planning for this now instead of waiting another decade when I-20 becomes absolutely insufferable as the east side continues to grow.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:28 PM
bu2

9,003 posts, read 5,714,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
What type of development are you referring to because I've been seeing some housing development springing up (or at least land cleared for development), nothing comparable to midtown, but it's being built or at least planned, with a good number of it aimed at senior residents.

Also, I could've sworn MARTA even said that developers were interested lol, so is that just an assumption that developers won't go there? Even concerning businesses, Atlanta's Gas Light Regional Business Center is currently being built along this stretch next to I-20 in the Gresham area.

Realistically this will take a long time to build out, but I can appreciate the effort and planning.
Stonecrest Mall area is the strongest economically and is struggling with tenants. South Dekalb is losing residents. Nobody's going to build something like Lindberg as portrayed in these drawings hoping transit comes.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:39 PM

4,912 posts, read 3,724,669 times
The problem is, there are no real cities or even existing community nodes along the route. Stonecrest comes closest, but even that leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:14 PM
bu2

9,003 posts, read 5,714,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The problem is, there are no real cities or even existing community nodes along the route. Stonecrest comes closest, but even that leaves a lot to be desired.
They have already suggested BRT is the best I-20 east can support.

Although I would like to see HRT extended from Indian Creek to Wesley Chapel on I-20 to connect some of that area to the HRT system without having to go all the way downtown or up to Indian Creek. It will make park-n-ride MARTA more accessible to I-20 people.

I never thought BRT only inside 285 made financial sense as has long been proposed. Those people aren't that far from downtown or from the Blue Line. It would have to be part of a longer system to be justified.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:19 PM

9,933 posts, read 6,939,290 times
I agree. I think BRT along I-20 makes the most since for the near-term. You can keep HRT in the long-range plans if denser nodes start to develop at the BRT stations.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:42 PM

4,912 posts, read 3,724,669 times
Most of the draw for I-20 east was not going to be from any kind of TOD, but from all the stations being fairly heavy commuter stations, particularly when served by local bus routes. The TOD would just add extra ridership and possibly balance the traffic a little bit by adding more destinations.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 6,939,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Most of the draw for I-20 east was not going to be from any kind of TOD, but from all the stations being fairly heavy commuter stations, particularly when served by local bus routes. The TOD would just add extra ridership and possibly balance the traffic a little bit by adding more destinations.
Drive-to-rail commuting stations rarely see much success. Even if they spend millions on free parking, many people will still just drive to their destination if they are already in a car. The difference between driving to the park-and-ride at Stonecrest vs driving to the existing park-and ride at Indian Creek is not going to account for much ridership. Many posters on this very forum that claim to be pro-transit / pro-rail still will not even spend the extra time to drive to a transit station and take the train.

Park & Rides Lose Money and Waste Land — But Agencies Keep Building Them

Old 09-17-2018, 05:56 PM

999 posts, read 557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Drive-to-rail commuting stations rarely see much success. Even if they spend millions on free parking, many people will still just drive to their destination if they are already in a car. The difference between driving to the park-and-ride at Stonecrest vs driving to the existing park-and ride at Indian Creek is not going to account for much ridership. Many posters on this very forum that claim to be pro-transit / pro-rail still will not even spend the extra time to drive to a transit station and take the train.

Park & Rides Lose Money and Waste Land — But Agencies Keep Building Them
That’s surprising to me. Just the other day I had to drive to 3-4 different stations to find a spot. Grated it was after 9 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or