U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM

22,287 posts, read 16,325,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
If you mean the same Avondale MARTA station where the surface parking lots are currently being replaced with apartments then, yes I agree. I don't think there should be no parking at stations, just that parking should not be the main feature of the station area and MARTA tax dollars should not go towards making that parking free.

Considering the massive cost differences, in what way is HRT "far superior"? The additional capacity from HRT is not needed on that route. True BRT would operate at similar speeds (and likely even more frequency) than HRT.

And it is not like GA400 that already has HRT running and would require switching modes. This route forces an awkward southward turn for the existing HRT and all the plans call for BRT to still run ITP on I-20.

The only thing you are really left with is vanity concerns about BRT vs HRT. And those are not worth the costs.
There is a certain equitable issue of running HRT up 400 and not I-20 East that politicians would face a backlash. BRT-in mixed traffic vehicle lanes or shoulder lanes is not going to provide similar speeds as grade separated HRT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 01:17 PM
bu2

9,053 posts, read 5,756,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is a certain equitable issue of running HRT up 400 and not I-20 East that politicians would face a backlash. BRT-in mixed traffic vehicle lanes or shoulder lanes is not going to provide similar speeds as grade separated HRT.
Equity is not the issue. However, you are right that politics would be an issue. With the jobs, people and traffic up 400, it likely grades a lot better, although there are more transit dependent out I-20 east.

Other than the difficulty of continuing BRT/Express buses in dedicated ROW on 400 inside 285, however, I don't think either corridor justifies HRT out to Alpharetta or Stonecrest Mall.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,977,505 times
"BRT-in mixed traffic vehicle lanes or shoulder lanes" is not BRT and should not be labeled as such.

More importantly, the current plan for "BRT" along I-20 through the denser ITP areas then switching to HRT for lower-density OTP is very silly.

Pick one mode for all of I-20.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
"BRT-in mixed traffic vehicle lanes or shoulder lanes" is not BRT and should not be labeled as such.

More importantly, the current plan for "BRT" along I-20 through the denser ITP areas then switching to HRT for lower-density OTP is very silly.

Pick one mode for all of I-20.
We will wait and see what DeKalb Transit Master Plan comes up with for the corridor. If DeKlab Co is willing to spend majority of any future transit expansion sales tax on this 1 project.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:18 PM

4,061 posts, read 3,745,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Equity is not the issue. However, you are right that politics would be an issue. With the jobs, people and traffic up 400, it likely grades a lot better, although there are more transit dependent out I-20 east.

Other than the difficulty of continuing BRT/Express buses in dedicated ROW on 400 inside 285, however, I don't think either corridor justifies HRT out to Alpharetta or Stonecrest Mall.

How so?

N Fulton has a ton of jobs in Alpharetta and even though the train would be next to the expressway, im sure many offices would just run shuttles to the stations like Perimeter Center to get the employees to the stations ad that can take alot less cars off the major roads up there, if enough people take the train to the office and transfer to a shuttle for the final mile.

Stonecrest would be very busy too, considering how many people live in S Dekalb and could draw riders from Rockdale too. If they developed the area aorund the Mall more with some office buildings and apartments, it would work. I know one result would be SOME people taking the train to that area that normally wouldnt and be up to no good or increase of homeless people around there.

If they carved out the shoulders for buses metro wide, id be all for BRT or when the hot lanes are all done and GRTA can brag that their buses can get you out to the suburbs or in town in 30 minutes during rush hour, it would draw alot more riders when you see a bu bypassing traffic every day.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 AM
bu2

9,053 posts, read 5,756,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
How so?

N Fulton has a ton of jobs in Alpharetta and even though the train would be next to the expressway, im sure many offices would just run shuttles to the stations like Perimeter Center to get the employees to the stations ad that can take alot less cars off the major roads up there, if enough people take the train to the office and transfer to a shuttle for the final mile.

Stonecrest would be very busy too, considering how many people live in S Dekalb and could draw riders from Rockdale too. If they developed the area aorund the Mall more with some office buildings and apartments, it would work. I know one result would be SOME people taking the train to that area that normally wouldnt and be up to no good or increase of homeless people around there.

If they carved out the shoulders for buses metro wide, id be all for BRT or when the hot lanes are all done and GRTA can brag that their buses can get you out to the suburbs or in town in 30 minutes during rush hour, it would draw alot more riders when you see a bu bypassing traffic every day.
1) These areas aren't as dense as intown. Lots of SFH and lots of vacant land.
2) Every transfer knocks 25-40% off ridership.
3) When you extend these lines out you start adding a lot of stops and slowing the trip, making it less competitive with driving or with an express bus in dedicated ROW. Why would you spend a billion more for worse service than an express bus?

In places like Paris, they have a different system for the far suburbs. Commuter rail in New York makes a very limited number of stops. Dallas has such abysmal ridership per mile because they are mixing local train service with commuter service. Running HRT all the way to Stonecrest is repeating the problems of Dallas. There's a point where extending the current HRT just doesn't make sense. And that's probably somewhere around 285.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Despite a drop in transit ridership across the nation, some developers are still doubling down on locating projects near MARTA stations in Atlanta. That is because the bet is on the future, not the present. “We have tenants who talked to us recently who only looked at locations in the city that are within two blocks of a MARTA station,” Cousins Properties Managing Director Matt Mooney said during a panel discussion at Bisnow's Atlanta State of the Market event last week.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...medium=Browser
https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...declines-95225

Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 PM

28,248 posts, read 24,853,837 times
DeKalb should go to war on this. They've been paying in for 50 years and deserve better treatment.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:13 AM

9,984 posts, read 6,977,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
DeKalb should go to war on this. They've been paying in for 50 years and deserve better treatment.
What makes you think DeKalb is being mistreated? Who should DeKalb go to war with?

The City of Atlanta and other partners are footing most the bill to pay for a new rail line to the largest employment center in DeKalb. If anything, DeKalb is getting the best transit deal in the region.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess you missed this announcement?
https://twitter.com/CEOMARTA/status/...083556866?s=19
Also if DeKalb wants transit expansion, then they can pass transit expansion referendum like Atlanta and potentially Fulton County. Stop whining and crying, do something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or